ADVERTISEMENT

Teams dropping out...

I don't see how the season happens without a stoppage. My nephew's team has practiced 5 times and opens next week...they have had a new CV scare or case every other day.

Indeed. Count me among those who will be very pleasantly surprised if the season is actually played. I sure am hoping though!
Yeah arch, I'm frankly surprised not much came of the talk of bubbles. The college football fits and starts served as warnings.

Indeed. Count me among those who will be very pleasantly surprised if the season is actually played. I sure am hoping though!
For sure a concern, considering we are now going in to classic flu season has to make us wonder if at some point in the near future the season gets call off. We are already able to see spikes occurring and we expect as such with the colder weather. Football is hanging in there for now but we are just now getting in to the colder portion of their season. I really hope reality will set in understanding that this Covid is not actually the death sentence it has been framed to be unless we are talking some very specific groups that are at a higher risk of serious symptoms that NCAA athletes are not really a part of.

With college athletes we are talking about a group that other than very rare occasions have to be told they have it else they would not know it was in their system. It isn't as if they are ducking deadly bullets, the great majority don't have any symptoms. And you may ask, so what, why even risk it, the NCAA is considering this season to be a freebie eligibility wise, right? But take a kid that may be able to play his way in to the NBA draft during this season but can't because they call the season. Look at Brooks for us, now he is looked at as an all American, which means the NBA will give him a strong look but can't seal the deal because they call the season, forces him to come back for another season, all the sudden his NBA time line is artificially stretched, could well cost him MILLIONS.

Now yeah, you can tell me there is no reason to risk it, while the life threatening risk may be near zero for college athletes, why risk even a single life? But in addition to it potentially costing a lot of kids a ton of money it ignores the fact that people actually do die all the time. If a kid is killed in a car wreck do we ban all kids from driving cars? Or do we consider there to be a degree of risk in driving a car and let the kid decide if he is willing to take that risk?

Reactions: shane023
If they stop basketball or any other sport for that matter everytime someone test positive there may never be another normal sports season in anything.

I wish someone could tell us where we need to be? What need to happen to have a return? Vaccine, cure?

For sure a concern, considering we are now going in to classic flu season has to make us wonder if at some point in the near future the season gets call off. We are already able to see spikes occurring and we expect as such with the colder weather. Football is hanging in there for now but we are just now getting in to the colder portion of their season. I really hope reality will set in understanding that this Covid is not actually the death sentence it has been framed to be unless we are talking some very specific groups that are at a higher risk of serious symptoms that NCAA athletes are not really a part of.

With college athletes we are talking about a group that other than very rare occasions have to be told they have it else they would not know it was in their system. It isn't as if they are ducking deadly bullets, the great majority don't have any symptoms. And you may ask, so what, why even risk it, the NCAA is considering this season to be a freebie eligibility wise, right? But take a kid that may be able to play his way in to the NBA draft during this season but can't because they call the season. Look at Brooks for us, now he is looked at as an all American, which means the NBA will give him a strong look but can't seal the deal because they call the season, forces him to come back for another season, all the sudden his NBA time line is artificially stretched, could well cost him MILLIONS.

Now yeah, you can tell me there is no reason to risk it, while the life threatening risk may be near zero for college athletes, why risk even a single life? But in addition to it potentially costing a lot of kids a ton of money it ignores the fact that people actually do die all the time. If a kid is killed in a car wreck do we ban all kids from driving cars? Or do we consider there to be a degree of risk in driving a car and let the kid decide if he is willing to take that risk?

There likely is more of a risk of death to these players from travel accidents (God forbid), physical injury that could be life threatening, or natural heart ailments than COVID poses. The real risk is with the coaches, refs, media, etc. and that is why the precautions and cancellations. Let's all pray that these vaccines get here fast and are effective so not only the sports world but the world in general can get back to some sense of normalcy.

Vaccinations and 100% buy-in to the common sense CDC protocols are what it will take to reach a semblance of normalcy! Cancelling events out of an abundance of caution is the correct path. If they are not going to put these teenagers in a bubble, they also have to consider families and the communities they will return to everytime they leave campus!

I hope we get to play!

Vaccinations and 100% buy-in to the common sense CDC protocols are what it will take to reach a semblance of normalcy! Cancelling events out of an abundance of caution is the correct path. If they are not going to put these teenagers in a bubble, they also have to consider families and the communities they will return to everytime they leave campus!

I hope we get to play!

Kap, one thing I think "everyone" can agree on is our love for sports. I would love for all the college and pro athletes to be included in the first wave of vaccinations.

I hope we get to play!
Ruh roh... dook cancels opener and Rick Barnes tests positive...

Every second that ticks by I feel more optimistic.

Then again, I keep getting these flashes of

Lucy-football.gif

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Gary,

Why not play the basketball pool? You would good at it?

I just hope we can get this game in. Fingers crossed.....
Feeling good about it.

Then a quick 3-in-a-row in "Maui." Which I assume is a bubble setup.

Going to Iowa might be where we hit a snag. Lots of time for cases to show up here or there. More likely there because Iowa is one of the worst hot spots in the nation.

Plus, we might struggle against an experienced Iowa on their court. So if we have to miss a game, that wouldn't be such a bad one to miss. Preferably just postpone, since I like our chances better once our newbies have more experience under their belts.

Oddly enough, now that number is down to 4. False alarm?

Glancing at the full Division I lineup, 23 of today's games (Wednesday) have been cancelled or postponed.

Tough way to start.
I would say that I’ve noticed that a lot of your smaller insignificant schools have canceled. Ie drexel, Bryant, Fordham, dook

ADVERTISEMENT