ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and OU to SEC?

tarheel0910

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
Earth
Looks like it might be a done deal. Which means the ACC will probably be looking to expand. Not sure there are really any good options out there right now. I would love to add PSU and ND, but I don't think either are realistic.

Reactions: shahad
Why not Central Florida- that opens up a large, new market and or West VA

Why not Central Florida- that opens up a large, new market and or West VA
Already have two in Florida, so not sure how much more you could get out of that. I hear WV a lot, but I'm not really sure they bring a lot to the table. If we can't pull off some bigger surprise, then it would probably be just as good to sit tight and wait for something better. My guess is we end up pulling in one or both of the teams you mentioned and neither of those are that good of a catch.

Definitely seems like a done deal. This is really going to screw up every other conference.

I dont get it. Seems like they would make more money in the they are currently in.
I think when you look at the money the SEC will get for a tv deal, it's going to blow away anything the Big 12 could have gotten. Not to mention it's easier to be an above average team in the SEC and get in the playoff than to be an equally good team and get into the playoff from any other conference.

This is a really scary time for college sports, and frankly, I think we're seeing the end of collegiate athletics as we know it, and not for the better.

Reactions: Archer2
I think when you look at the money the SEC will get for a tv deal, it's going to blow away anything the Big 12 could have gotten. Not to mention it's easier to be an above average team in the SEC and get in the playoff than to be an equally good team and get into the playoff from any other conference.

This is a really scary time for college sports, and frankly, I think we're seeing the end of collegiate athletics as we know it, and not for the better.

Getting greedy may end up ruining college sports.

Reactions: Archer2
Looks like it might be a done deal. Which means the ACC will probably be looking to expand. Not sure there are really any good options out there right now. I would love to add PSU and ND, but I don't think either are realistic.
Yes indeed! The Tar Heels would be an attractive asset to the SEC. Our academics and athletes are second to none nationally.

Yes indeed! The Tar Heels would be an attractive asset to the SEC. Our academics and athletes are second to none nationally.
The problem with the SEC is the Olympic sports. UNC takes a lot of pride in those. It's the reason we would move to the big 10 if the ACC ever disbanded. And the Big would absolutely take us.

Reactions: shahad
The SEC just needs to change its name at the point. You can’t have multiple teams in Texas and be the south eastern conference. It’s just dumb

It looks like the Big 12 may be finished. UT and OU leave, there's nothing to fill that void. West Virginia would be looking somewhere to land, and the ACC would want them with open arms. But there's more involved in this. The state legislatures have to approve this. Is the Oklahoma state legislature gonna dump OKSt. Same in Texas with TCU, TTech and Baylor. Would the NC legislature approve UNC and a NCSU split?

It looks like the Big 12 may be finished. UT and OU leave, there's nothing to fill that void. West Virginia would be looking somewhere to land, and the ACC would want them with open arms. But there's more involved in this. The state legislatures have to approve this. Is the Oklahoma state legislature gonna dump OKSt. Same in Texas with TCU, TTech and Baylor. Would the NC legislature approve UNC and a NCSU split?
ACC wouldn't welcome WVU with open arms. If they get an invite (which they probably will if the ACC expands) then the invite will be with a nosed pinched.

How about every school join the SEC.. just have one conference. It would be a lot easier.

Why you think that?
Because of the past. They skipped them last time because of their academics and nothing has changed. They don't really bring anything to the league that is even remotely close to the move the SEC is about to make either. It would be a panic move.

Reactions: CrazyHeel
How about every school join the SEC.. just have one conference. It would be a lot easier.
There's talk that the SEC and Big will eventually pick apart the ACC. The grant of rights will keep that from happening for a while. The only hope really for the ACC is for ND to join. I don't think that will happen soon enough to save the ACC, but ND will risk being on the outside looking in if they try to stay independent

Reactions: LOU-RU85
Big 12 should be:

Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Nebraska
Colorado
Kansas
Kansas State
Baylor
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
TCU
Iowa State

But that makes too much sense in this backwards world we live in.

Big 12 should be:

Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Nebraska
Colorado
Kansas
Kansas State
Baylor
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
TCU
Iowa State

But that makes too much sense in this backwards world we live in.
If all conferences made the same amount of money, I'm sure that would be the setup. But they don't, so it isn't. The SEC name and facilities brought to you by SEC money gets you top recruits and exposure. That means a chance at championships. Once the playoffs expand to 12 expect the SEC to get at least 4 teams in the playoffs. Probably closer to six.

A decade or so ago the SEC offered a package deal to Duke and UNC and were declined. Is it time to revisit that if offered? UNC football is on the rise. We could really lock down the state recruiting wise playing in the SEC. IT would bring in massive amounts of more money. And form a basketball ball conference with three blue bloods, also keeps the best rivalry in sports alive, as well as the intense rivalry with duke across the board. I could get behind that if the opportunity arose. What say y'all?

A decade or so ago the SEC offered a package deal to Duke and UNC and were declined. Is it time to revisit that if offered? UNC football is on the rise. We could really lock down the state recruiting wise playing in the SEC. IT would bring in massive amounts of more money. And form a basketball ball conference with three blue bloods, also keeps the best rivalry in sports alive, as well as the intense rivalry with duke across the board. I could get behind that if the opportunity arose. What say y'all?
Won't happen because of Olympic sports. It would mean slightly less money, but I would rather go to the Big 10. I think they are a better fit culturally.

I think the better question is who is going to get an invite to the Big 10 with UNC, when the ACC as we know it goes under. Unless the ACC pulls off something unexpected, Clemson and FSU will bolt for the SEC once the GoR is over. No doubt that at that point the Big 10 offers us and UVA. VT probably tries to get into the SEC and I imagine moo would too (although I don't think they would be high on the SEC list). I think UNC will have a choice to make. Take significantly less money (which makes it hard to compete) and stay in a Big East/PAC 12 type conference or leave for the Big 10.

Won't happen because of Olympic sports. It would mean slightly less money, but I would rather go to the Big 10. I think they are a better fit culturally.
I agree but from a football prospective, the SEC matchups make more sense and would bring alot more excitement overall. OSU, Michigan, and maybe Penn St. would be nice, but not like LSU, Bama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and now possibly Texas and OU. Tennessee as a border war. And kicking a chickens ass every year.

Reactions: Deezheelz
I think the better question is who is going to get an invite to the Big 10 with UNC, when the ACC as we know it goes under. Unless the ACC pulls off something unexpected, Clemson and FSU will bolt for the SEC once the GoR is over. No doubt that at that point the Big 10 offers us and UVA. VT probably tries to get into the SEC and I imagine moo would too (although I don't think they would be high on the SEC list). I think UNC will have a choice to make. Take significantly less money (which makes it hard to compete) and stay in a Big East/PAC 12 type conference or leave for the Big 10.
No doubt UNC and UVA are the two schools they would want, but the BIG also would love to get into the Atlanta market. The problem is it Iooks as though the next realignment is about football and money. If it comes down to it, I hope UNC goes south and not north.

The problem with the SEC is the Olympic sports. UNC takes a lot of pride in those. It's the reason we would move to the big 10 if the ACC ever disbanded. And the Big would absolutely take us.
tarheel0910,
I’m such a Charlotte/nascar/southern boy, all I want is south for us. I think both conference’s would gladly take but my southern pride…. Ugh!!!

Reactions: CrazyHeel
tarheel0910,
I’m such a Charlotte/nascar/southern boy, all I want is south for us. I think both conference’s would gladly take but my southern pride…. Ugh!!!
Yeah, both would definitely take us. No doubt about that. The football is definitely better down south, but I just don't think UNC is your typical SEC school. It would be more like an arranged marriage. You get the sex, but you don't like who it's with. Actually now that I think about it, that's a bad example. You don't get sex if you're married.

tarheel0910,
Are you saying you'd rather boogity boogity boogity down south?

Yeah, both would definitely take us. No doubt about that. The football is definitely better down south, but I just don't think UNC is your typical SEC school. It would be more like an arranged marriage. You get the sex, but you don't like who it's with. Actually now that I think about it, that's a bad example. You don't get sex if you're married.
My friend, that’s why you stay single until you find that cute Duke educated red head w/ freckles and a hard body from doing CrossFit 5 days a week who owns a cabin in the mountains or Oregon. She’s got the best sex and then she goes home in the morning because she works at Duke while you’re still chapel hill.

Texas and OU released a joint press release this morning saying both schools will decline to extend the gor with the Big 12 past the current agreement which ends in 24.

Reactions: tarheel0910
My friend, that’s why you stay single until you find that cute Duke educated red head w/ freckles and a hard body from doing CrossFit 5 days a week who owns a cabin in the mountains or Oregon. She’s got the best sex and then she goes home in the morning because she works at Duke while you’re still chapel hill.

Pics or gtfo

Im sorry but that cute feline is not the answer. Take it from a 2 time loser. My 1st wife wanted something different. She from Asheville nd me from Niagara Falls. I messed up, more interested in my JOB than the family. 2nd wife, a little Lo Litta, Lasted until I was " too pumped to pop". Now thank goodness, I still have memories.

I've heard talk about the SEC and ACC merging into a super conference. Any chance of this actually happening?

I've heard talk about the SEC and ACC merging into a super conference. Any chance of this actually happening?
Bilas put that out there. I think he's trying to get out front of the conversation and help Duke if the ACC dissolves later down the road.

Bilas put that out there. I think he's trying to get out front of the conversation and help Duke if the ACC dissolves later down the road.
Yeah, I saw him talking about that because of some of the natural rivalries. I also read an article suggesting that the ACC and Big should team up for media rights and create a Big Ten/ACC challenge for football that mirrors the basketball one. I actually think that's a pretty good idea. That will create some good matchups that someone will pay for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT