ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and OU will be entering the SEC 1 year early

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Many expect the SEC to now get rid of divisions and play a 3 + 6 (6) schedule, for 9 league games per year. If they stay with divisions, I assume they would move Bama and Auburn to the East, move Missouri to the West, and add Texas and OU to the West.

As a college sports fan, I would prefer the rotating games, but either way would produce far more truly appealing football games than the ACC could offer.

And that gets us to Winter Meetings. They better figure a plan that works, or before long schools will be itching to leave. The closer we get to the end of the old deal, the more likely that becomes, because the cost is less.

For years, the dolts in the ACC Office kept their faith that basketball can save the ACC because the ACC Tournament was unique. I am not certain even now that they all have awakened from their opium den-type stupor to face reality.

Again, the wise better would place big looney that the ACC leadership will make bad decisions which are bad because they simply do not grasp what Big Time football is, as opposed to basketball, or else they think nothing they could do could ever matter, so why not just now down slowly without exerting much energy.

Here is an an article from a Clemson site that contains this gem from Clemson AD Graham Neff:
“And by way of that, there’s some relationship to investment,” Neff said. “So it’s not just, hey, Clemson, Florida State and Miami, because you’re big brands, you’re going to get more slice of the pie. It’s not the rudimentary, and that’s not my lens either. But it should be based on performance – football success, postseason, CFP, how you help drive television viewership and metrics, things like that.”

Neff used Wake Forest, a private school with little history of sustained football success that’s won 19 games the last two seasons, as an example.

“A different type of school, but how they’ve performed (recently), they’ve invested,” Neff said. “They’ve invested in coach retention and facilities. So they’re a great example of investment breeds success, which in theory would breed distribution. That’s kind of the sequence of which we discuss.”

The ACC is not going to get a bigger TV deal because Wake wins more football games. TV deals are based on TV viewers, proven numbers of loyal viewers of that league's games. Nobody watches Wake, whether win or lose. Same with BC. So incentivizing Wake to invest more in football is only hoping that UNC finally wakes up so that its incentives work better than what Wake does.

And that means the point is being ignored, or else they all re too dense to even grasp the obvious. Wake is a permanent drag on the ACC financé's. Wake winning is actually worse for the ACC than Wake losing every year. What the ACC needs to do before altering its equal payouts to some kind of incentives program is to dump Wake and probably BC and add Cincy and WVU. That won't get anmyhwe3re near the SEC and BT, but it is a move that means something and his not counter-productive, like giving Wake incentives to win more, which means even fewer people will care about ACC football.

Guys the ACC is so far behind in football it is a troubling time. Clemson is hanging on, but Dabo had to be drug into the NIL era kicking and screaming. He is well aware that being in a small state with divided loyalties puts him in a bad place there. And though Swoffords moves to bring in VT, BC, and Miami, probably saved the league at that point in time, those once strong programs have never delivered on their end on the field since joining the conference. This combined with the swoon at FSU, even though they seem to be improving under Norvell, has left the conference with one power team….Clemson. All of the above are reasons why the TV monies are low and has everybody behind. And I don’t see it getting better. I don’t see either the Big 10 or the SEC not expanding further in the next few years in their quest to control college sports. They are close now. At that point the SEC would take Clemson in a second, and maybe FSU. And either the SEC, or the Big 10, would take UNC in a second. Clemson gone in football would render the conference football impotent. Losing UNC to
either would be a stab to the heart of the conference that it probably couldn’t recover from.

Reactions: RoseHeel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT