ADVERTISEMENT

The Duke Game & My Departure

Tarheel75

All-ACC
Oct 8, 2018
Hello everyone.

Last night's game certainly, to me, and the guys I set with, was the epitome of an exercise in futility.
While we as a fanbase are certainly discouraged, dumbfounded, disillusioned, and reveling in disbelief, the simple truth, is that the lack of toughness at the FT line lost this game for UNC. It's a very bitter pill that will take a long time to swallow for these guy's. Their down on themselves, and rightfully so, as no one knows what lost this game better than they, themselves.

We led this game for almost 42 of the 45 minutes it was played. The dissection of the last of the last 3 minutes and some odd seconds of this games is inconsequential from this observers vantage point.

The game was lost at the FT line, not because AP was fouled, ( and he was ). That call believe it or not, can be argued 2 ways. As AP never had control of the ball and the resulting play was more of what you see when a scrum is produced on a loose ball, and the replay did not show clearly, who the ball was off of, and the official had made the call as dooks ball, and upon review, there was not enough evidence to change that call. Personally, I feel like a jump ball would have been the better call.

The more egregious mistake by the officials, was the lack of a foul call on Jones when he tripped Cole at the top & COLE fell down. That was a tripping foul that should have been called. But..., I digress, missed FT's has cost us what, at least 7-8 games this season? This season has been one that should make all of us appreciate what happens to a program when low basketball IQ, loss of focus, questionable effort, and lack of overall talent invades and overtakes it. The 8-20 season, in my opinion, is no where near as disappointing to watch as this season has been.

That aforementioned team was not even close talentwise as the team this year. But as the worn out cliché states, " it is what it is", but not what it will be next season, and that's where I personally am choosing to set my sights, hopes, and successes. The leftovers from this year, after having to experience the woes of this season, will be a hardened group, count on it. Add to those, the talent that we have coming in, well..., my expectations are very high, as I have recounted in several posts this season. I expect Brooks, Leaky, Andrew, Harris, Francis (most likely), Huff, Manley ( I'm less sure about him ), and, if he wants to make himself better and wealthy, Bacot should return, along with the walk- on's.

Now, as to the other subject of this post.

I spent last night after the game in the infirmary at the hospital due to palpitations. I was monitored and once my vitals were normal, I was released to go home, but not without corrective actions. I will not be allowed to attend any more games this season and listening on the radio or watching games on TV will be restricted, if I do not follow protocol as directed by the medical staff in charge of my condition. Thus, I have been banned from this forum and will not return, unless I follow direction and completely out of danger ( who the hell can be completely out of danger, in their lives )? Nothing that will cause me angst , particularly a rise in BP, or anger. Sorry guys, but this forum certainly can do those things to me, so, if I'm going to follow direction, I need to back off this forum.
Will this be permanent? I don't know. But, I would like to think not, as I really enjoy discussing Tar Heel basketball with most all of you.

I hope that my contributions to this community have been worthy of your time to read them. So..., until I have improved my health to someone else's satisfaction..., carry on guys, and try to be respectful of each other, if possible. I will miss the banter and the divergence of opinions very much.
Signing off now..., wishing the very best for your continued health and happiness.

TH75

Best of luck. Maybe you can record the games and watch only when we win. I think this team would benefit from an old saying " life is 10 % what happens to you and 90 % how you handle it.
Out of high school I would have given my left nut to have just been a walk on for a shitty season like this if it meant I was a Tar Heel !
As a fan at the end of the day it is just a game.
Now I did feel like I had a panic attack when the game went into overtime, I could not help it. I felt desperate and hopeless.
Imo the Heels play 36 minutes to win then played the last 4 minutes to not lose and you don't win that way.

Hello everyone.

Last night's game certainly, to me, and the guys I set with, was the epitome of an exercise in futility.
While we as a fanbase are certainly discouraged, dumbfounded, disillusioned, and reveling in disbelief, the simple truth, is that the lack of toughness at the FT line lost this game for UNC. It's a very bitter pill that will take a long time to swallow for these guy's. Their down on themselves, and rightfully so, as no one knows what lost this game better than they, themselves.

We led this game for almost 42 of the 45 minutes it was played. The dissection of the last of the last 3 minutes and some odd seconds of this games is inconsequential from this observers vantage point.

The game was lost at the FT line, not because AP was fouled, ( and he was ). That call believe it or not, can be argued 2 ways. As AP never had control of the ball and the resulting play was more of what you see when a scrum is produced on a loose ball, and the replay did not show clearly, who the ball was off of, and the official had made the call as dooks ball, and upon review, there was not enough evidence to change that call. Personally, I feel like a jump ball would have been the better call.

The more egregious mistake by the officials, was the lack of a foul call on Jones when he tripped Cole at the top & COLE fell down. That was a tripping foul that should have been called. But..., I digress, missed FT's has cost us what, at least 7-8 games this season? This season has been one that should make all of us appreciate what happens to a program when low basketball IQ, loss of focus, questionable effort, and lack of overall talent invades and overtakes it. The 8-20 season, in my opinion, is no where near as disappointing to watch as this season has been.

That aforementioned team was not even close talentwise as the team this year. But as the worn out cliché states, " it is what it is", but not what it will be next season, and that's where I personally am choosing to set my sights, hopes, and successes. The leftovers from this year, after having to experience the woes of this season, will be a hardened group, count on it. Add to those, the talent that we have coming in, well..., my expectations are very high, as I have recounted in several posts this season. I expect Brooks, Leaky, Andrew, Harris, Francis (most likely), Huff, Manley ( I'm less sure about him ), and, if he wants to make himself better and wealthy, Bacot should return, along with the walk- on's.

I spent last night after the game in the infirmary at the hospital due to palpitations. I was monitored and once my vitals were normal, I was released to go home, but not without corrective actions. I will not be allowed to attend any more games this season and listening on the radio or watching games on TV will be restricted, if I do not follow protocol as directed by the medical staff in charge of my condition. Thus, I have been banned from this forum and will not return, unless I follow direction and completely out of danger ( who the hell can be completely out of danger, in their lives )? Nothing that will cause me angst , particularly a rise in BP, or anger. Sorry guys, but this forum certainly can do those things to me, so, if I'm going to follow direction, I need to back off this forum.
Will this be permanent? I don't know. But, I would like to think not, as I really enjoy discussing Tar Heel basketball with most all of you.

I hope that my contributions to this community have been worthy of your time to read them. So..., until I have improved my health to someone else's satisfaction..., carry on guys, and try to be respectful of each other, if possible. I will miss the banter and the divergence of opinions very much.
Signing off now..., wishing the very best for your continued health and happiness.

TH75

My man. Well said as usual. Health first. Get back on track and come back and visit.

Reactions: kl40504
Hello everyone.

TH75
Best of luck in dealing with health issues.

I hope my wife does not read this. She would find a doctor to order me not to watch any UNC games.

Best of luck in dealing with health issues.

I hope my wife does not read this. She would find a doctor to order me not to watch any UNC games.

Amen mine too as she has stopped watching this year...says she can’t handle it.

Hope all is well with you 75. Anyone know how old TH75 is? Just curious if I should be on the lookout for this to happen to me.

Best to you 75 and more importantly good luck and best to your health and healing. At the end of the day basketball isn't everything but I have enjoyed your perspectives and opinions and I hope to read them once again when both your health and this team is much better. Till then ...

Reactions: Archer2
Hello everyone.

TH75

In response to the first part of your post. It doesn’t take any toughness to make a FT. It doesn’t take any moves or jumping ability. Nobody is guarding you and if you can’t hit at a min of 60% closer to 70% then practice until you can. Plain and simple that’s where we lost the game regardless of the missed calls (and there were plenty of them). 70% on FTs isn’t too much to ask for in my opinion especially since most of these guys have done this their whole life. Practice in your free time. Doesn’t take much athletic ability to shoot a wide open stand still shot (even I can do that lol). This just infuriates me beyond belief. No knock on you at TH75 just ticked off at the games we’ve lost due to not making one of the easiest shots in the world. Now I do realize that at the end of the game the FTs May feel like there’s more pressure on them but there again you’ve done this most of your sports life.

Hate to see a good member of THR go but praying for a healthy and enjoyable future for you.

Best of luck to you. I can't fathom how posting on a message board would be detrimental to your health. And intentionally avoiding a contest would be more stressful to me than watching it. We've lost 13 games. There will certainly be a 14th loss. Your posts and Gary's are consistently excellent. Hope you are back to full speed next year

Reactions: kl40504
Be strong my friend. Come back when you are cleared. We all have health problems at our age and all are more important than a basketball game as much as we love the Tar Heels.

I beat you to it I stopped watching After Harris went down I check the score and come on the board but I do not watch ..

75, please follow your doctor's protocols and orders. Your health matters more to you than the capricious results of college basketball games. I'm sure that many of us appreciate your unique insight into our program; all of us wish you improved health and a return to THR in the near future.

hate to hear that, but if you have to bow out of a season this is probably a good one to miss and work on your health. Gonna miss your valuable insight though. Hope to see you here again once your ticker can take all the angst and sniping here. :)

Had to go to the doc myself when my BP spiked earlier this year. I hope this is a shortlived blip on your radar! Good health to you and strength to your family sir!

Go Tar Heels!

I’ve not watched a single minute since half time of the GT game. It’s how i cope and make life less miserable for those around me. I come here and read the game thread and other related posts. Plus Adam’s stuff. I’ll be engaged again next season, hopefully for the whole year.

Nothing that will cause me angst , particularly a rise in BP, or anger. Sorry guys, but this forum certainly can do those things to me, so, if I'm going to follow direction, I need to back off this forum.
Some of us may want to rethink the hostility they bring to this board.

Not saying we can't disagree, but maybe dial back the personal attacks and unnecessary bad vibes.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT