ADVERTISEMENT

The Force is strong with this one...

Archer2

Hall of Famer
Aug 5, 2009
The Old North State
Luke the first player since Antwan Jamison to tally 100 points and 50 boards in the first five games of the season. Also, Luke leads the team in scoring, rebounding, and blocked shots, while 5th in assists and steals.

Not too shabby for a “wasted scholarship”, a guy about whom it was said “if Luke ever has to start for UNC, we’re in deep trouble”.

Luke the first player since Antwan Jamison to tally 100 points and 50 boards in the first five games of the season. Also, Luke leads the team in scoring, rebounding, and blocked shots, while 5th in assists and steals.

Not too shabby for a “wasted scholarship”, a guy about whom it was said “if Luke ever has to start for UNC, we’re in deep trouble”.
Those of us who insisted Luke could play and probably start as a Junior --- oh, and that Kenny Williams was the real deal --- will now quietly gloat. :D

You know what makes Luke's play even better, the way he goes about his business. Not only is the kid an absolute workhorse, but there's not a nicer kid out there. Just look at the way he conducts interviews; he always is respectful, praises all his teammates and you can see him take his time to respond thoughtfully to each question Nothing about him or his game is flashy, but the way he plays is exactly how it should be done. He has a sweet and smooth stroke, gets good positioning defensively, constantly battles for positioning on both ends, runs the court hard in transition and tries to get all his teammates involved, just look at his assists. There were two plays today that once again showed me the player that he is: one when he got a defender with a ball fake and could've taken a contested midrange shot, but passed it to Kenny who hit a three and another when he had the ball in transition and passed up his own look to find Garrison for a bucket. Most guys who were having the night he was would've taken the shot and no one would've blamed them, but not Luke.
The kid is truly something special and I'm very happy to root for him night in and night out.

Last game and today I have seen some true Psycho T showing in Luke's evolving skill set. And I LOVE it! Not saying he is or will ever be a Hansbrough clone, but I would bet $$$ to donuts Luke has been studying up on some Tyler Hansbrough game footage. And Luke adds a serious three ball threat Tyler never fully developed, or at least rarely showed.

I had a feeling that Hansbrough would be an all time UNC great, and he turned out even better than I expected. I also felt certain Luke could be an effective starter for us eventually, and he too seems well on his way to surpassing my expectations. I am so glad they both chose UNC and Roy Williams.

Hey look, I’m honest enough and man enough to say that never in a million years did I expect this type of production at any time, especially consistently, from a Maye or Williams even 5 games in. I’ll gladly eat my crow. Cheers.

Reactions: shun1
Bird and Kenny are filling it up, rebounding, and diving in the floor. Love that they are program kids and having remarkable success.

Reactions: CJBlue and shun1
Those of us who insisted Luke could play and probably start as a Junior --- oh, and that Kenny Williams was the real deal --- will now quietly gloat. :D
Not quietly gloating about Kenny I am trumpeting it from the roof tops. Now when seventh breaks out and he is showing some signs of a breakout I will truly he happy. Kenny is shooting 58%from the 3 this yr... Remind me again how many people said he can't shoot? He is what he is? Confidence is gone?:D yes I am gloating :)

Never have been that down on Bird May. I gave him the nickname Bird and projected he would be second team ACC before the season. On the other hand, I have been a harsh critic of Kenny Williams. I was definitely wrong about him and had always considered him a nervous player. On the other hand, I don't think many thought Kenny would take the leap that he has this season. In fact, the kid may make all ACC . The only UNC players that I can think of that have had such a major defining moment are Jamison, Hansbrough and and now Kenny Williams. In other words, players that "overnight" went from average to above average. Before Cam got hurt, there were very few people on this board that said Williams would start over Cam. The Heels may have the best backcourt in the NCAA when you look at offense and defense capabilities.

Before Cam got hurt, there were very few people on this board that said Williams would start over Cam. The Heels may have the best backcourt in the NCAA when you look at offense and defense capabilities.
That's exactly why I was trying to tell folks on here that Kenny would and should start. Cam has defensive deficits. However he will make a deadly offensive assassin off the bench.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
I like Maye, and thought he had reached his ceiling last year, but amazingly he has proved me wrong. Maye is a legit player.

Kenny, well honestly I never gave him a chance because he has been hurt. Seems like he has found out how to get his shot.

This team could really be special, and will be a problem for another 2 years. Roy is a genius.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJBlue
That's exactly why I was trying to tell folks on here that Kenny would and should start. Cam has defensive deficits. However he will make a deadly offensive assassin off the bench.

Gary, I'm not going to sit here and try to invent excuses on why I was so harsh on Kenny. I was just wrong. The kid is hitting twisting layups and jump shots that have me falling out of my chair. His defense is outstanding and he has to be most modest kid to ever play at UNC.

Last edited:
"The Whole is Greater than the Sum of its Parts. First coined by the philosopher Aristotle, this phrase aptly defines the modern concept of synergy. For anyone who has played team sports, it echoes the T.E.A.M. acronym—together, everyone achieves more."

This team epitomizes that concept. They are unselfish to a fault. They play very hard and they have chemistry that only veterans can instill in a team. Talent, a strong work ethic, discipline, and a great coaching staff; this team possesses it all.

And while there are still going to be head-scratching losses along the way, this group is already making their own legacy and becoming a team no one want's to play, something I thought might take the better part of a year to happen.

I was one of those people who once said Luke was a wasted scholarship.

Never have I been more delighted to eat crow. This guy is a beast, and he represents our program to exemplary levels.

Good to see you step up and admit it. You should have listened to Clint way back when we 1st got him. :)

For me both guys needed to show proof of capability and so far this season they have both exceeded expectations

For Luke it was / is against bigger more physical competition ( MSU front line will be his next test

For Kenny it was / is consistency - when healthy he had a tendency to fade away in games after having success; almost as if he was embarrassed when he was doing well and the focal point

It has indeed been fun to watch this group and these two in particular

I am SO thrilled to see Luke become the player he is showing us this year. Who woulda thunk it after that game early last year when he blew a wide open layup (IIRC). I was hoping he would be a solid starter this year but the dude is looking like a whole new man.

Same for Kenny... except we didn't really know what to expect after being injured.

These two juniors - combined with two great senior leaders in Joel and Theo - are going to make this a fun season.

GO HEELS!

For me both guys needed to show proof of capability and so far this season they have both exceeded expectations

For Luke it was / is against bigger more physical competition ( MSU front line will be his next test

For Kenny it was / is consistency - when healthy he had a tendency to fade away in games after having success; almost as if he was embarrassed when he was doing well and the focal point

It has indeed been fun to watch this group and these two in particular
The Miles Bridges match up will be a good one.

The Miles Bridges match up will be a good one.

Depending on if one of the three freshman bigs step up Luke will be battling Nick Ward and / or the freshman Jaren Jackson and they are both a load

This game will be interesting and a serious test

I am SO thrilled to see Luke become the player he is showing us this year. Who woulda thunk it after that game early last year when he blew a wide open layup (IIRC). I was hoping he would be a solid starter this year but the dude is looking like a whole new man.

Same for Kenny... except we didn't really know what to expect after being injured.

These two juniors - combined with two great senior leaders in Joel and Theo - are going to make this a fun season.

GO HEELS!
Yep, I remember that lay-up. It was actually a wide open dunk and he bricked it on the rim. The Bird.

Yep, I remember that lay-up. It was actually a wide open dunk and he bricked it on the rim. The Bird.
Looking back to the FF games, Luke only got 23 total minutes and scored 2 pts (on FT's). I'm just blown away by how well he's playing as a starter. I'm really looking forward to see how well he plays versus MSU.

I spent an entire off season defending Kenny after his frosh season so I knew he was the real deal. Surprised he has come out this strong after being on the shelf so long after that injury and being twice cut but very happy to see it, hope it carries thru the entire season!

As Randy Travis says "on the other hand", lol, Luke, yeah, I said it, I said if we ever have to start Luke we were in trouble in his frosh season, yeah I said this off season Luke as our starting 4 scared me, yep I sure did. If and when I am wrong, I don't mind at all fessing up, I am not going to stick to a certain narrative out of pride when the opposite case is clear cut. I believe what I believe until I clearly have enough new information to make a brand new decision (thank you Zig Ziegler) and with Luke there is a lot of brand new information. IDK if he can play like this all season but if he can he is not just ACC 1st team but he is NCAA 1st team.

GO HEELS!
And those four guys are carrying on the UNC tradition of great upperclassman leadership. They set a high bar for the amount of time and effort it takes to play at the very highest level and win. The underclassmen are blessed to be able to understudy with these guys and have a coach like Roy to guide them. And they all seem to be buying into what it takes to be the best.

Never have been that down on Bird May. I gave him the nickname Bird and projected he would be second team ACC before the season. On the other hand, I have been a harsh critic of Kenny Williams. I was definitely wrong about him and had always considered him a nervous player. On the other hand, I don't think many thought Kenny would take the leap that he has this season. In fact, the kid may make all ACC . The only UNC players that I can think of that have had such a major defining moment are Jamison, Hansbrough and and now Kenny Williams. In other words, players that "overnight" went from average to above average. Before Cam got hurt, there were very few people on this board that said Williams would start over Cam. The Heels may have the best backcourt in the NCAA when you look at offense and defense capabilities.

Hansbrough was never average. Don't think that tag fits Antawn either.

Thrilled to see Kenny's Hot start and hope it continues for the rest of a long healthy career.

If and when I am wrong, I don't mind at all fessing up, I am not going to stick to a certain narrative out of pride when the opposite case is clear cut.

Good man DSouth.
If the real naysayers around here would only do that.

Count me on board as one of those who was proved wrong. Never thought he was a wasted scholarship, but I thought some of y'all were crazy saying he'd be averaging 20-10 at some point. I figured Luke Maye would be a solid off the bench guy by his Senior Season.

I'll take a second helping of Crow, please!

Glad to have the underrated guy putting up 20/30 points for us than against us for once. :D

Perhaps we have 1 or 2 more on the bench in waiting ;)

Last edited:
Depending on if one of the three freshman bigs step up Luke will be battling Nick Ward and / or the freshman Jaren Jackson and they are both a load

This game will be interesting and a serious test
Why would we put the frosh on Bridges? Are we asking to be xploited and kill the young big guys confidence?

Why would we put the frosh on Bridges? Are we asking to be xploited and kill the young big guys confidence?

If Roy goes small Maye will play the 5 and Pinson the 4 (Bridges)
My point was if our freshman 5's cannot play D and rebound they won't be in the game and this forces Luke to play the 5 position

I love my Heels and love me some college basketball. I have to say this and I will admit to doing this too. I think we at times expect too much from these guys. Even the 5-stars. Sometimes we have to realize that no one is perfect and they are dealing with a lot of things. A lot of changes as young men. Life changes. Nothing is given to them. They must take it. It takes some longer than others. The thing is as long as they chose us, then dam it I will wait on them and cheer for them too. The thing is, I love seeing these guys finally getting it. When it finally clicks for them and they start showing how good they are. That right there is awesome. GO HEELS!!

My point was if our freshman 5's cannot play D and rebound they won't be in the game and this forces Luke to play the 5 position
Small ball is situational and to ice away games down the stretch at the moment. Until Cam gets back if he does? , I am not sure the best small ball lineup is available.

Reactions: Archer2
I think this will be short lived & our last option. We don't need Luke playing the 5 for long, if there's any other option. He needs to be able to play inside & out, which is much harder at the 5.

He needs to be able to play inside & out, which is much harder at the 5.

who he guards does not dictate how he plays on the offensive end of the court - the key is defense and the more the freshman step up the better off the team will be and his life will be easier as he would not be asked to guard the opposing 5

who he guards does not dictate how he plays on the offensive end of the court - the key is defense and the more the freshman step up the better off the team will be and his life will be easier as he would not be asked to guard the opposing 5
That's true, but if the 4 & 5 are Theo & Luke, Luke would be playing the 5 on offense & defense. I have no doubt there will be times that this happens. I just don't think it will be the first option.

Last edited:
When I think of Luke and what he is becoming and has done, all I can think of is a video that someone posted on this board a couple of years back. It showed Luke all by himself in the DES center just shooting all alone just WORKING at getting better.

To me that speaks volumes about him. Roy paid him the ultimate compliment a week or so ago..by saying his work ethic was off the charts... he could think of no one that worked any harder at improving and getting better. Roy just loves him and man what a player he has MADE himself into.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT