ADVERTISEMENT

The Mandalorian

gteeitup

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2001
Columbia, SC
holy moly...star wars fans desiring a live action series are being rewarded, finally.

the first episode has all the bells and whistles in a 30 minute window...amazing

I am interested in the series based on the preview but I have too many subscriptions as it is. :(

do you have verizon?...this girl that works with my wife posted something about disney + being free for a year if you have verizon...there are also free options for a month with certain platforms.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I am interested in the series based on the preview but I have too many subscriptions as it is. :(
Do you have Hulu? If so, you can bundle it for just another seven dollars. That also comes with ESPN+. If you don't want to pay that, there is a free trial. You could just binge and cancel.

Those sneaky basteges are going old school... just one episode each week.
Really? I didn't realize that. I guess it's a smart move to make sure people have to pay for at least a few months. It's worth it to me though because of the classic movies and cartoons. My girls are now able to watch Darkwing Duck and Talespin instead of crap like SpongeBob and Loud House.

Reactions: Heelicious
do you have verizon?...this girl that works with my wife posted something about disney + being free for a year if you have verizon...there are also free options for a month with certain platforms.
I do. I'll check that out. Thanks!

It’s true I just did it. Only caveat is that you have to have ‘unlimited’ w Verizon.

Welp. That ends that.

It's not really the cost, it's the "one more thing" about it. I've got Netflix and Amazon Prime and SiriusXM Radio on two cars and we still have Spectrum TV for my wife. Netflix is losing some of its appeal with me. Feels like there are no movies added that I like anymore and while I do like Stranger Things and some of their exclusive programs, it's not the value it was originally.

It’s true I just did it. Only caveat is that you have to have ‘unlimited’ w Verizon.
Yeah, I have a grandfathered plan w/ Verizon so I couldn't get Disney free. Went ahead and signed up for it (for now) so my son and I can watch Mandalorian. Only $7/month but will probably drop it after done with that series.

BTW, the show is pretty darn good. It's like a Clint Eastwood type western character- man with no name ( or in this case, no face? since he never takes off the helmet).

Reactions: gteeitup
Started watching it last night and it is a good show. First episode was very good. Now I have something to download onto my iPad and watch on my flight this week!

Really loving the series so far but Episode 4 was a clunker.

Strike 1: Gina Carano guest stars and suddenly everyone forgets their blasters and starts MMA fighting. Aside from being predictable, Star Wars has never really employed hand-to-hand combat in any of its fight/battle scenes so it felt unfamiliar.

Strike 2: Ewoks figured out how to destroy AT-STs with primitive technology so what's the big deal?

Strike3: It didn't move the story line ahead one iota. You could go from Episode 3 to Episode 5 without missing a thing, so what value did it bring?

Believe it or not, I'm pretty easy to please as a viewer. That's how disappointing the episode was to me. Really hoping Episode 5 is better. The series has introduced some great characters and has tons of storytelling potential.

@Raising Heel you’ll be cool after 5, imo...i’m just happy we get backstories to stories...this is a must for star wars peeps.

the fact that they’re already filming season 2 is encouraging for future stories.

@Raising Heel you’ll be cool after 5, imo...i’m just happy we get backstories to stories...this is a must for star wars peeps.
Much better. Another fistfight (wth?) but more intrigue, and a tease at the end. One random thing I'll give them credit for is the artwork at the end of each episode. Not sure what medium it is, but it looks like sketches of scenes from each week's episode. Those have been pretty cool.

Much better. Another fistfight (wth?) but more intrigue, and a tease at the end. One random thing I'll give them credit for is the artwork at the end of each episode. Not sure what medium it is, but it looks like sketches of scenes from each week's episode. Those have been pretty cool.
My son thinks the tease is boba fett.

And yes, the artwork is pretty cool.

waiting for someone on here to review rise of skywalker...i’m going to wait at least until school is out so i can take the kids.

i’ve seen “horrible” all the way to “outstanding” for reviews...one person said they enjoyed last jedi more and that scares the shit out of me because i thought that was the worst, lol.

waiting for someone on here to review rise of skywalker...i’m going to wait at least until school is out so i can take the kids.

i’ve seen “horrible” all the way to “outstanding” for reviews...one person said they enjoyed last jedi more and that scares the shit out of me because i thought that was the worst, lol.
Most of the professional critic reviews I've read have been mixed at best. The overwhelming theme has been that it walks back the "risks" that the Last Jedi took and is just a safe movie made for the fans. I wasn't a fan of the last one either. To me it was just Fast & The Furious in space, with less excitement and worse dialogue. For whatever reason, critics seemed to love that one though. I just couldn't enjoy it that much. It was better than Episode I, but that's not exactly a hard thing to do.

I wasn't overwhelmed by it, but I went into it just wanting to be entertained and hope that they didn't screw it up too bad. So in that regard it was ok.

I won't spoil it, but there were a few things that made me question "well, how the hell did that happen" based on what happened in previous movies. But I try not to get too wrapped up in the storylines where its gonna freak me out like it would to a hard core star wars nerd.

Probably a 6 (maybe 7) out of 10 for me. Eh, just call it 6.5.

ETA: And let me just say that I've always thought the whole kylo ren character is lame. I mean half the time he wears that stupid mask, and the other half we have to see his stupid face. Either wear it or don't dude. I mean, Vader was scary because we never saw his face but Ren is a whiny little bitch, and he looks like a goofus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Littlejon
Saw it, loved it, f*** the haters.

Here’s my one sentence review. If you go in looking for something to dislike, you’ll find it, and you’ll have nobody to blame but yourself.

I have watched the first 4 episodes of The Mandalorian and have enjoyed them. I love scifi shows. I am excited that NBC is making a new Battlestar Galatica coming out in April with their new streaming service.

Saw the movie today and I must say I liked it. Heard the bad reviews, but it was actually pretty good. Not the best Star Wars movie, but certainly not the worst either. Wish they’d have tied up a few more loose ends, but all in all, it was a good movie to close out the series on.

Saw the movie today and I must say I liked it. Heard the bad reviews, but it was actually pretty good. Not the best Star Wars movie, but certainly not the worst either. Wish they’d have tied up a few more loose ends, but all in all, it was a good movie to close out the series on.
Rotten Tomatoes currently has the critic rating at 55% and the audience rating at 86%. For all its wonderful and enduring qualities, Star Wars has never been high art. People expecting a cinematic masterpiece are naturally going to be disappointed. But for fans, it's imminently enjoyable (IMO).

Same. Well I did watch one in the early 2000s. Didn’t like it. Don’t remember the name but @Raising Heel always tells me it was the worst one to watch.
You watched Episode I: The Phantom Menace which is widely regarded as the worst of the Star Wars movies. When discussing the order in which you should watch a Star Wars movie marathon, some fans say you should cut Episode I out of the mix entirely ("Machete Order").

One of these days I'm gonna sit you down and give you a proper introduction to the franchise. You really should start with the original movie, Episode IV: A New Hope. It lays the groundwork for the other movies, which can be confusing or boring if you don't start with the right background.

You watched Episode I: The Phantom Menace which is widely regarded as the worst of the Star Wars movies. When discussing the order in which you should watch a Star Wars movie marathon, some fans say you should cut Episode I out of the mix entirely ("Machete Order").

One of these days I'm gonna sit you down and give you a proper introduction to the franchise. You really should start with the original movie, Episode IV: A New Hope. It lays the groundwork for the other movies, which can be confusing or boring if you don't start with the right background.
I've always watched them starting with E1 with rouge between 3 & 4. I know it ruins the Darth Vader identity of the original three, but I'm not a huge fan of the whole prequal thing. Watching it in order let's me avoid that.

I agree about E1. It's the worst and it really isn't necessary. I'll still watch it though, because my love for movies makes me want to torture myself.

I've always watched them starting with E1 with rouge between 3 & 4. I know it ruins the Darth Vader identity of the original three, but I'm not a huge fan of the whole prequal thing. Watching it in order let's me avoid that.

I agree about E1. It's the worst and it really isn't necessary. I'll still watch it though, because my love for movies makes me want to torture myself.
Yeah, everybody alive already knows the big plot twist that occurs in Episode 5, which means there's a good argument for just watching them in episode order. I just personally happen to think staring with Episode 1 is a terrible way to introduce a newbie to Star Wars.

Yeah, everybody alive already knows the big plot twist that occurs in Episode 5, which means there's a good argument for just watching them in episode order. I just personally happen to think staring with Episode 1 is a terrible way to introduce a newbie to Star Wars.
Yeah, the first one is definitely the worst if you're introducing someone to Star Wars. That being said, do you really want to be around someone who hasn't seen Star Wars? I don't think that's a person you would want to know.

cc: @toophly1124

I concur.

Newbies should always start with 4, 5, 6. Then decide whether or not to continue.
I think Rogue is a must watch as well. I think you could even make an argument that it's at least the third best. Of course if you watch Rogue you should probably watch 2 and 3.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I think Rogue is a must watch as well. I think you could even make an argument that it's at least the third best. Of course if you watch Rogue you should probably watch 2 and 3.
Yeah, that was a good one too. Definitely better than the prequels, and the current trilogy. Now that the main story line is done, additional movies like Rogue have potential to be better since they have some freedom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT