ADVERTISEMENT

The next "contrarian" offense

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
I listen to a couple college football podcasts, and one I like is called Barton & Bud (the Barton is Barton Simmons, director of recruiting at TOS).

They had a discussion on their last pod about the state of college football now that the spread has morphed from the contrarian offense to the 'norm' that most schools use. The spread of course has its foundation in the principle that smaller schools couldn't get as big or strong of guys to play for them. The spread offense was a tool smaller schools could use to level the playing field somewhat.

On the podcast, they kinda speculated on when some schools would start shifting identity back towards a power run offense to counter the current college football landscape.

It got me thinking: what's the next "contrarian" offense? Put on your creative hat and design a revolutionary offense. Of course, the triple option is always there as an equalizer that smaller schools and military academies can use. But is there something different? What type of pie-in-the-sky offense would you like to see or even realistically could see, once someone's brave enough to try it? After all, with the shutdown, coaches have had a lot of free time on their hands to scheme.

Great question! I'm just an average fan. Navy and Army rush extremely well. Sometimes on the last play of the game, you see the ball lateraled to offensive linemen. I would like to see 240 pounds linemen who are used as rushers in a Rugby style offense

Look at how the spread has changed too. More and more teams have gone from reading a DE to reading a CB or LB (RPOs). It's a cat and mouse game. Gary Patterson's 4-2-5 became popular because it worked hard to shut down the spread. OCs (Chad Morris?) adapted and found a way to beat it - use the open B gap to put the WSLB in constant conflict. Now, you see a lot more hybrid 3-4, spill and kill like Bateman's scheme. So, I'm sure it'll be something designed to exploit the most prevalent defense.

Great question! I'm just an average fan. Navy and Army rush extremely well. Sometimes on the last play of the game, you see the ball lateraled to offensive linemen. I would like to see 240 pounds linemen who are used as rushers in a Rugby style offense
I'm glad you suggested this because a rugby style offense was my first thought as well.

Ball security and turnovers would obviously be an issue, but laterals could be used to really spread the field and negate the other team's speed. And since the play would be a run play, the lineman could block down field. You wouldn't have to lateral every single play, but I really think lateralling is an aspect of the game that's been lost to history and needs to be brought back.

Check out old highlights of how Nebraska ran the option in the 90s. Sometimes the QB would pitch it 15-20 yards down the field when a defender finally got close. Nowadays, the option involves a pitch strictly in the backfield.

Rugby style plays wouldn't have to necessarily result in touchdowns or even huge gainers. I could envision how a couple laterals could turn a would-be 4 yard play into a 15 to 20 yard play. It would take a coach with guts to be able to run it (because like I said, fumbles would be common), but I could see it working if done smartly.

I have wondered why a team doesn't run a multiple offense. Run a spread on first down with 5 wides, move to a wishbone with 3 of those receivers on 2 down then go with a split back set on third down. That would keep the defense guessing. Run what is best against the personnel of the defense on that play. So many football players are listed as "athletes" these days so I would think many could play multiple positions.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I have wondered why a team doesn't run a multiple offense. Run a spread on first down with 5 wides, move to a wishbone with 3 of those receivers on 2 down then go with a split back set on third down. That would keep the defense guessing. Run what is best against the personnel of the defense on that play. So many football players are listed as "athletes" these days so I would think many could play multiple positions.
I would think body type of your roster would prevent this. You could use the same type of linemen to run spread and run wishbone, but you couldn't use the same linemen to run a power-I.

But it's an interesting idea for sure. I've been waiting for a supremely talented team like Clemson or Alabama to show up to a high-profile game and run nothing but triple option (or something equally different from their regular offense) as a way of completely tilting the scales in their favor.

Bear Bryant used to do this but with a particular season rather than a specific game. He'd decide his personnel that coming year most lent itself to wishbone so he'd run it.

Reactions: geddoughton23
That's what Fedora was aiming to run. Guy never met a QB he didn't like, except for Chazz
FTFY lol.

Although to be fair to Fedora, even before injuries set in, Chazz never did much to show his potential as a P5 QB while here. In today's game, even as a frosh QB you should show flashes of talent if your ceiling is high. Chazz never did, except for one game against a truly anemic Louisville defense. The move to LB was a good one.

Thanks for the kind words about a rugby-style offense. My favorite UNC season was with Jason Stanicek running the option. He was great at pitching the ball even when well beyond the line of scrimmage.

Every comment I make on the basketball board seems to be met with scorn. It's nice to get a kind response

I liked the comments about labeling a player as an athlete. It seems reasonable to let players in limited situations play on both sides of the ball. My high school team had four players who played both ways in the big games

Single Wing and Wing T are both about misdirection to keep the D off balance. A lot of counters, reverses, bootlegs, short passes that often have receivers running routes that mimic counters and reverses.

Reactions: geddoughton23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT