ADVERTISEMENT

The offensive line is the key to a victory over the Irish and this is why…

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Most everybody will probably question my feelings about this but there is no question that how the o line plays will determine the outcome. The big guys must protect Maye so that he has time to find all of his receivers and they must open up some holes so that the running backs can eat up some yards and more importantly eat up the clock.

Yes the Irish are having big time problems on offense especially with a back up QB but their defense has been solid including only giving up 21 points to Ohio State in Columbus…

One way to slow down Notre Dame’s pass rush and to help the offensive line is to do some things that the Irish are not expecting like using screen passes to the backs and to the wide outs. Also If Downs and Green play I expect especially Downs to be double teamed which means the tight ends should be open as well as running backs in the flat.

Bottom line is for this upset to happen MAYE cannot be on his back a ton nor running for his life all afternoon into the evening so the O-line must make a statement and do their jobs..Coach Brown has made it clear that his team must be able to establish the run and again it the Offensive line that must STAND AND DELIVER…

Reactions: dtodd4475
You could probably apply this to the rest of our season. Maye, the wr, TE, rb are capable of producing acc-leading points of the OL can be solid. The D will probably be more physical for opponents like ND and ncsu, but I don't see things changing much in production.

Good on Good, Bad on Bad. Good on good when our offense has the ball and bad on bad when the defense is on the field. This is a very intriguing matchup. Can Drake direct this good offense to over achieve against the strength of NDs defense? I don't see us winning the line of scrimmage Saturday, so Longos game plan/play calling and Drakes execution are critical. Its a narrow path for a victory. Regardless, a win will require some over achievement.

JMO, Mack Brown is holding coaches responsible. He has made the assessment that the offensive side of the ball was "soft" and Bicknell is there to change that culture. Bicknell will probably not have the stockpile of talent on his side of ball to work with(going forward, like Chizik) as our recruiting is beginning to understandably slide.

Mack may need a change this off season on the defensive side of the ball to change the entire program culture.

Last edited:
I agree, the last time they came to town they just attacked Howell with numbers and he had no time to look downfield to our explosive targets, constant jail breaks with instant pressure dominated our O line, with too many in the box couldn't run either. Need to hold the line, be respectable at least in that area.

ND has been solid on dee, and with the way our dee has looked against FAMU, APP ST. and Georgia St. ND will be able to score even with their struggles so far. Give Maye some time,, be able to run to keep them honest and we have a chance to match that offense though. WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE AS ALWAYS TOO !!!!!!

I agree, the last time they came to town they just attacked Howell with numbers and he had no time to look downfield to our explosive targets, constant jail breaks with instant pressure dominated our O line, with too many in the box couldn't run either. Need to hold the line, be respectable at least in that area.

ND has been solid on dee, and with the way our dee has looked against FAMU, APP ST. and Georgia St. ND will be able to score even with their struggles so far. Give Maye some time,, be able to run to keep them honest and we have a chance to match that offense though. WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE AS ALWAYS TOO !!!!!!
Again I say and emphasize use screen passes to the backs and use them in the slot as well making the linebackers cover them.

Most everybody will probably question my feelings about this but there is no question that how the o line plays will determine the outcome. The big guys must protect Maye so that he has time to find all of his receivers and they must open up some holes so that the running backs can eat up some yards and more importantly eat up the clock.

Yes the Irish are having big time problems on offense especially with a back up QB but their defense has been solid including only giving up 21 points to Ohio State in Columbus…

One way to slow down Notre Dame’s pass rush and to help the offensive line is to do some things that the Irish are not expecting like using screen passes to the backs and to the wide outs. Also If Downs and Green play I expect especially Downs to be double teamed which means the tight ends should be open as well as running backs in the flat.

Bottom line is for this upset to happen MAYE cannot be on his back a ton nor running for his life all afternoon into the evening so the O-line must make a statement and do their jobs..Coach Brown has made it clear that his team must be able to establish the run and again it the Offensive line that must STAND AND DELIVER…

Use the short passing game, allowing Drake to get the ball out quickly. Our TE’s could have a big day.
On the flip side Mayer is a monster at TE for them, gonna have to scheme up try to limit him.

Reactions: Archer2

I think you are correct about that side of the ball. But to win we also need the D to step up. The secondary has had parts of each game so far when it looks like the secondary of a losing 1AA team. ND can exploit that. Our DL is weak and easy to handle because it plays predictably. Is that because Cross is too dumb to know more, or because the DL is too lazy and/or dumb to learn more? Whatever it is, the ND OL almost certainly will have its way with our DL. If our secondary sucks some more, then Pyne might start to look like a star Irish QB.

Nothing we have seen this year has us believing that the defense will step up today so the offense must carry the team yet again and for that to happen the offensive line MUST win the war in the trenches so that all of the weapons can be used. Having Downs back even if he is mostly used as a decoy should open up lanes for other wide outs, tight ends and backs in the flat but Maye MUST HAVE TIME…

Nothing we have seen this year has us believing that the defense will step up today so the offense must carry the team yet again and for that to happen the offensive line MUST win the war in the trenches so that all of the weapons can be used. Having Downs back even if he is mostly used as a decoy should open up lanes for other wide outs, tight ends and backs in the flat but Maye MUST HAVE TIME…
Offensive line doesn't make much difference when your play calling is trash.

I would love to know what’s going on in the strength and conditioning program. Our guys are just weak. I wonder if it’s a lack of intensity, bad programming, or both.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Mack is right about one thing if you listened to or read his presser. Defense is obviously a huge problem, and the emphasis has to be stopping the run first. ND ran 85 plays because they ran the ball successfully. There was one split in the secondary, but safeties and linebackers are getting sucked up into stopping the run. You set the tone of the defense at the LOS. That's where it starts on that side of the ball. Part of the problem is switching to a new scheme. But at a minimum, you need to have good technique and fundamentals up front. Which we do not have. Offense shouldn't have to score 50 a game to win. If you want so see improvement, that's where it starts.

Last edited:
Mack is right about one thing if you listened to or read his presser. Defense is obviously a huge problem, and the emphasis has to be stopping the run first. ND ran 85 plays because they ran the ball successfully. There was one split in the secondary, but safeties and linebackers are getting sucked up into stopping the run. You set the tone of the defense at the LOS. That's where it starts on that side of the ball. Part of the problem is switching to a new scheme. But at a minimum, you need to have good technique and fundamentals up front. Which we do not have. Offense shouldn't have to score 50 a game to win. If you want so see improvement, that's where it starts.
Is it really that hard two switch from Bateman's "occupy blocker" approach to an attack/shed approach? That was game 4 including a bye week.

DT is one of the easiest positions to play across many sports from a thinking perspective. DE not far behind. I guess LB could be an adjustment..

Is it really that hard two switch from Bateman's "occupy blocker" approach to an attack/shed approach? That was game 4 including a bye week.

DT is one of the easiest positions to play across many sports from a thinking perspective. DE not far behind. I guess LB could be an adjustment..
I think as fans we tend to oversimplify a lot of things. Bateman never had adequate personnel to run his scheme imo, but that wasn't talked about as much as his 4-star and 5-star recruits, most of which were freshmen and sophomores that didn't have an ideal transition due to Covid. Not having adequate personnel will make any defense less effective and more difficult to execute. Bateman ran a lot of odd front with 2-gap principles. Ray Vohasek was our nose, so we had an undersized DL imo. BUT we were recruiting and building towards Bateman's scheme which put an emphasis on kinda stacking the middle with bulk, taking on two blockers, controlling gaps and pushing the pocket.

Now, Chizik will run some hybrid, but it's primarily a 1-gap scheme. So, for someone like Des Evans, for instance, that can be an adjustment. He just spent the last couple years learning different coverage drops, now he's working on his second step off the line. The DE's role changes significantly. They're going to be trying to get upfield probably 90% of the time instead of controlling gaps and beating double teams. Fans will point out, such-and-such is playing above his natural weight and looks a step slower, well yeah, that's because such-and-such was trying to control 2-gaps last year, and it was more about strength and size instead of rushing the QB lol. And it isn't just the DL either, your LB have different roles as well. Your ILB might be going from finding holes in the line and getting after the QB to dropping back into more of a Tampa 2 look.

Ultimately, if you can't carry out assignments and make tackles, it won't matter what defense you run. We should not be this far behind. That's not debatable imo after what we've seen. But, at the same time, I do not think a lot of people had realistic expectations re the move from Bateman to Chizik.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I think as fans we tend to oversimplify a lot of things. Bateman never had adequate personnel to run his scheme imo, but that wasn't talked about as much as his 4-star and 5-star recruits, most of which were freshmen and sophomores that didn't have an ideal transition due to Covid. Not having adequate personnel will make any defense less effective and more difficult to execute. Bateman ran a lot of odd front with 2-gap principles. Ray Vohasek was our nose, so we had an undersized DL imo. BUT we were recruiting and building towards Bateman's scheme which put an emphasis on kinda stacking the middle with bulk, taking on two blockers, controlling gaps and pushing the pocket.

Now, Chizik will run some hybrid, but it's primarily a 1-gap scheme. So, for someone like Des Evans, for instance, that can be an adjustment. He just spent the last couple years learning different coverage drops, now he's working on his second step off the line. The DE's role changes significantly. They're going to be trying to get upfield probably 90% of the time instead of controlling gaps and beating double teams. Fans will point out, such-and-such is playing above his natural weight and looks a step slower, well yeah, that's because such-and-such was trying to control 2-gaps last year, and it was more about strength and size instead of rushing the QB lol. And it isn't just the DL either, your LB have different roles as well. Your ILB might be going from finding holes in the line and getting after the QB to dropping back into more of a Tampa 2 look.

Ultimately, if you can't carry out assignments and make tackles, it won't matter what defense you run. We should not be this far behind. That's not debatable imo after what we've seen. But, at the same time, I do not think a lot of people had realistic expectations re the move from Bateman to Chizik.

Something was way off, so i didn't mind seeing Bateman go, but now that I hear he had complaints about the other coaches, and now that we see our back 7 being mistake-ridden, it makes you wonder what would've happened if he could have replaced Cross or Bly or whoever.

Would've been interesting to see a 3 man front of NT Vohasek, 4i Ritzie, 4i Murphy, backed up by Shaw, Hester, Rucker/Cowan. Noah Taylor would probably be a decent OLB and i guess Malachi, Des, Collins would be just so-so on the other side. Back-end was a mess last yr, so i'm not bemoaning some change, but "it all starts up front".

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Something was way off, so i didn't mind seeing Bateman go, but now that I hear he had complaints about the other coaches, and now that we see our back 7 being mistake-ridden, it makes you wonder what would've happened if he could have replaced Cross or Bly or whoever.

Would've been interesting to see a 3 man front of NT Vohasek, 4i Ritzie, 4i Murphy, backed up by Shaw, Hester, Rucker/Cowan. Noah Taylor would probably be a decent OLB and i guess Malachi, Des, Collins would be just so-so on the other side. Back-end was a mess last yr, so i'm not bemoaning some change, but "it all starts up front".
I prefer Bateman's scheme over Chizik's. It's more geared to stop spread offenses. But, again, doesn't really matter if you can't implement it. Personally, I think parting ways, given the circumstances was premature. I don't see Chizik as a clear upgrade. Just my 2c. And you're right, we don't always know what's going on behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Reactions: blazers
I prefer Bateman's scheme over Chizik's. It's more geared to stop spread offenses. But, again, doesn't really matter if you can't implement it. Personally, I think parting ways, given the circumstances was premature. I don't see Chizik as a clear upgrade. Just my 2c. And you're right, we don't always know what's going on behind the scenes.
Regardless of Bateman's scheme or Chizik's scheme these trench guys have a prob making them look soft or lacking s/c or lacking technique or something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT