ADVERTISEMENT

The sky is not falling

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
If it was any other coach who did not have three NCAA championships and over 900 wins then there might be a reason to look up at to the heavens every now and then but stats and facts do not lie and the proof is right there in front of you that Coach Williams and his staff will find a way to succeed regardless of who he has wearing Carolina Blue in the Dean Dome...

Everyone who feels Carolina basketball is done and the world is coming to a end should just relax and see how all of this pans out before deciding to walk the plank and getting their final will completed...

It's important to me. We decide what is important in life. We get about 78 years and then worms eat us. One of the only constants in life is cheering for UNC basketball. Dean Smith always made me smile. Dean Smith praised his players in public. He pushed them to the limit in practice, but was their greatest advocate in the public domain

Reactions: shun1
If it was any other coach who did not have three NCAA championships and over 900 wins then there might be a reason to look up at to the heavens every now and then but stats and facts do not lie and the proof is right there in front of you that Coach Williams and his staff will find a way to succeed regardless of who he has wearing Carolina Blue in the Dean Dome...

Everyone who feels Carolina basketball is done and the world is coming to a end should just relax and see how all of this pans out before deciding to walk the plank and getting their final will completed...
SMILE

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
In reality, what has happened that you did not expect. Just Kessler. We already new Sharpe was gone. I already thought Bacot was gone. My questions were whether Brooks was staying and whether Love was staying. We now have a big man problem, but nothing else has changed. Lets get a Hansbrough and all will be right with the world. Go Heels.

"Fan" is short for "Fanatic". That's emotion based. Emotions make people feel and react in different ways. The problem with emotion is you can't tell someone how they feel is wrong. Their facts or depth of information may be off, but how they feel is how they feel. We are all wired differently and react to situations differently. I love this program, not just because I went to school there...but because I grew up being taught to love this program. I remember meeting Dean Smith multiple times and our family even has a custom leather chair that there are 2 of in the world....one made for Dean Smith and an identical one made for my Dad. It now sits in my basement on display. I have framed recruiting letters that I received from Coach Smith....and he even sent me a Coaches Clipboard/Notebook, signed by him, Coach Gut, Dave Hanners, Phil Ford and Pat Sullivan when I had a major knee injury and surgery. To say the least, we bleed UNC blue and I've passed along this passion to my kids as well.

I have great memories with my family...taking my Dad to my first game owning season tickets...taking my daughter to a Duke/UNC game....all things that are real. I am proud of the program we have and expect excellence with it....right or wrong. I realize we will lose 25% of the time and still be historically excellent...but that doesn't mean I like to lose.

No person (player or coach) is above the Program. That's what Dean Smith wanted and that's what it's become. As a fan, we have the ability of having hindsight. We that know the game (and even those that don't) can have opinions that differ from Roy and that doesn't mean we don't have the right to voice those or that we don't love and appreciate him as what he's done for the program.

Right now, we are not the "UNC" that we should be. Some of that is tied to the scandal (not getting recruits that are UNC level), part injuries (not Roy's fault), part COVID/not having an offseason program and part of it is philosophy. We should ALL want to improve in our craft. When we stop doing that, we become stale. Roy is great and has a great resume....but no one is perfect. Roy loves UNC and no one should question that. He's not happy with the state of our program....and we aren't either. That doesn't mean the sky is falling, but something we are passionate about isn't performing how we know it can and historically has.

Last edited:
My take is 2 years does NOT shift the balance of the last 50 for me! The program is not where it should be, but no human institution is eternal! All things change and UNC is going through a rough patch, so what? I count on my experience with this program and I know we will rise again just like we always have! This is NOT the first dip and will not be the last. I take a long view and expect Roy to keep us on the path to recovery upon which we have taken the first steps! Kessler leaving = bump; Sharpe leaving = part of the sport; Nobody else has left so......this is where i say, "relax, Francis!"

If others leave, Roy will adjust. The world and players have changed, Roy will adjust. UNC will remain true to itself and will not adjust to the point that we cannot proudly point to the difference Family makes! This is my source of pride in my U! I am too old to expect or believe in instant gratification so all this angst completely misses me!

"Fan" is short for "Fanatic". That's emotion based. Emotions make people feel and react in different ways. The problem with emotion is you can't tell someone how they feel is wrong. Their facts or depth of information may be off, but how they feel is how they feel. We are all wired differently and react to situations differently. I love this program, not just because I went to school there...but because I grew up being taught to love this program. I remember meeting Dean Smith multiple times and our family even has a custom leather chair that there are 2 of in the world....one made for Dean Smith and an identical one made for my Dad. It now sits in my basement on display. I have framed recruiting letters that I received from Coach Smith....and he even sent me a Coaches Clipboard, signed by him, Coach Gut, Dave Hanners, Phil Ford and Pat Sullivan when I had a major knee injury and surgery. To say the least, we bleed UNC blue and I've passed along this passion to my kids as well.

I have great memories with my family...taking my Dad to my first game owning season tickets...taking my daughter to a Duke/UNC game....all things that are real. I am proud of the program we have and expect excellence with it....right or wrong. I realize we will lose 25% of the time and still be historically excellent...but that doesn't mean I like to lose.

No person (player or coach) is above the Program. That's what Dean Smith wanted and that's what it's become. As a fan, we have the ability of having hindsight. We that know the game (and even those that don't) can have opinions that differ from Roy and that doesn't mean we don't have the right to voice those or that we don't love and appreciate him as what he's done for the program.

Right now, we are not the "UNC" that we should be. Some of that is tied to the scandal (not getting recruits that are UNC level), part injuries (not Roy's fault), part COVID/not having an offseason program and part of it is philosophy. We should ALL want to improve in our craft. When we stop doing that, we become stale. Roy is great and has a great resume....but no one is perfect. Roy loves UNC and no one should question that. He's not happy with the state of our program....and we aren't either. That doesn't mean the sky is falling, but something we are passionate about isn't performing how we know it can and historically has.

spot on

Can anyone name one transfer weve had in the Roy era that left and set the world on fire at their new school? Not one has ever shown we made a mistake not playing them more

Stepheson
Larry Drew
Wear Sisters
Woods
Huffman
Francis

who did i miss?

The sky was never falling and it is a beautiful UNC Blue most of the time! Caleb and hopefully, Bacot returning would seem to prove that UNC is not in such dire straits! Couple this with the Transfer portal and our master talent evaluator and I believe things are really looking up!

There's a complete change in the way kids/parents are these days. On one of the podcasts someone asked how the end-of-year meeting with Roy goes. He said (not a direct quote) " it used to be that Roy would say that these are the things that you need to work on" and the kid would say "ok". These days Roy still says "these are the things you need to work on" but the kids/parents say "well, I don't like the way certain things are being done, so I either need to be used differently or I'm gonna transfer". I know Roy is stubborn and he may not bend to the whims of the kids/parents. More transfers/malcontents in the future wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: Heelicious
There's a complete change in the way kids/parents are these days. On one of the podcasts someone asked how the end-of-year meeting with Roy goes. He said (not a direct quote) " it used to be that Roy would say that these are the things that you need to work on" and the kid would say "ok". These days Roy still says "these are the things you need to work on" but the kids/parents say "well, I don't like the way certain things are being done, so I either need to be used differently or I'm gonna transfer". I know Roy is stubborn and he may not bend to the whims of the kids/parents. More transfers/malcontents in the future wouldn't surprise me.

First, I for 1 am glad Roy does not allow parents to run his program! The "with-Drew" saga taught that lesson very clear. Yeah, it does seem like Kessler's dad wanted to explain to Roy how his son was to be used and I respect Roy for standing his ground even if it did cost us a great potential player. A lot of our freshmen, maybe even the majority of them, have told us that they considered leaving UNC at some point during their freshman season, they were not getting the PT they felt they should or they were not being used as they felt they should but because the transfer rules had them sit out a season if they transferred, well it made it a harder decision to leave.

Also have to keep in mind, this particular season was so different than any other, these kids just did not have the experience of being able to be out and about and enjoy that BMOC feeling around students, they were basically locked up in a bubble, had to be miserable, they never got that feeling of a real duke game, they never got that feeling of running out of the tunnel in front of a packed Dean Dome, they got a much different, much less fun experience than any other freshman class EVER. They very important things that played huge roles in why freshmen came to love UNC, wasn't available to them this season but that should be well past us come next season.

It is like talking about the season before the one we just finished, you just are not being fair if you discuss how poorly that season went for us without considering the dramatic effect injury had on that season, as was also the case in John Henson's freshman season. It sucks that we had that injury plagued season and it was followed by the covid season but that is how it happened and we just have to move past it. But folks are panicking, Roy's system is out dated, we have no shooters, the game has changed yada yada yada...

I hear ya' DSouth ... I'm not busting on Roy. I was just trying to say that he now has to deal with kids/parents differently than ten years ago (or differently than during his entire career as head coach).
I feel bad for the kids not getting the college experience, and I recognize that they don't really "know" the Carolina that past players know. That sucks for them and if they transfer then they don't really know what they're missing ... so that makes sense.
I don't think Roy's system is out-dated, but having freshmen PGs three years in a row has shown that some experience is needed to advance deep into the tourney. Here's hoping that two years is enough experience for Caleb! Go Heels!

Roy is not dealing with a change that started happening 10 years ago! He is being asked to change his entire outlook based on a 2 year sample! It is ridiculous to even think of making a change after last year due to the extreme pressures of injury, fake scandals, and negative recruiting. This year the new rules were implemented by the braindead NCAA in a knee jerk reaction to show grace to those suffering from Covid pressures. They did not realize the extent parents/kids would take advantage of the system! It is possible that peeps like handlers of various types are the ones that figured out how to apply leverage in this new scenario, but not one coach was ready for this! Roy is changing just as rapidly as everybody else since he got this info when you did.

There are very few programs that aren't still playing that haven't seen an exodus so.....

I'm betting Roy and staff will figure out how to make this new reality work for them as well as any out there!

Can anyone name one transfer weve had in the Roy era that left and set the world on fire at their new school? Not one has ever shown we made a mistake not playing them more

Larry Drew

who did i miss?

Don't want to open the Drew-Marshall debate, but in fairness Drew did quite well at UCLA. 7.3 assists to 2.5 TOs and 43% from 3. Set a single season school assist record. Team went 25-10 and finished 24th in the AP.

And he did quite well at UNC as soon as Roy recognized he wasn't ready to lead a team and made him a 6th man! He had his best game once the pressure was off and if he could have kept his head on straight might have blown up from there. Maturity makes a difference!

Reactions: tarwhiz
And he did quite well at UNC as soon as Roy recognized he wasn't ready to lead a team and made him a 6th man! He had his best game once the pressure was off and if he could have kept his head on straight might have blown up from there. Maturity makes a difference!

if he doesnt leave we start him in the elite 8 against kansas and not the combo of justin watts and stillman white. not sure if we beat Uk but we probably add another final four

if he doesnt leave we start him in the elite 8 against kansas and not the combo of justin watts and stillman white. not sure if we beat Uk but we probably add another final four
I never really gave it much thought about Drew being a senior that year, but I often think about Dexters injury early in the season. He was the starting 2 guard and backup pg before the injury. We beat Kansas if he was available and give UK all they want in the Final in my opinion.

Reactions: gd15nc
I never really gave it much thought about Drew being a senior that year, but I often think about Dexters injury early in the season. He was the starting 2 guard and backup pg before the injury. We beat Kansas if he was available and give UK all they want in the Final in my opinion.
True. But we stood a great chance to win the Natty that year if creaton wasn't a bunch of punks.

Last edited:
I remember Drew has his best game at FL State just before leaving UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT