ADVERTISEMENT

THI Podcast: Brett & AJ Talk UNC Football

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
North State Journal veteran writer Brett Friedlander joined me to discuss the effect Hurricane Florence may have had on the Tar Heels, the Pitt game, a potential 12th game and possibly finding a path to bowl eligibility.

There is tremendous value in going to a bowl because of the extra month of practice - so I'm for it. But to hear you say we need to stay away from So Miss and Furman to make sure we get a win is very saddening and says volumes about the state of our program.

There is tremendous value in going to a bowl because of the extra month of practice - so I'm for it. But to hear you say we need to stay away from So Miss and Furman to make sure we get a win is very saddening and says volumes about the state of our program.
Are any of the Bottom Ten teams available?

Agree it sounds bad and would be a very bad look for the program, but I bet most schools would rather schedule a W in similar circumstances. Iowa State's opener was canceled because of storms and it tried to schedule Drake, which doesn't give out many scholarships. The NCAA rejected it, but it was thinking the same thing. Look what FSU did a year ago.

I understand AJ but it still hurts to think we are somewhat afraid to schedule So Miss or Furman because we're not sure we can beat them. If this is the case how can anyone argue this program is on the right path?

Reactions: Archer2
I understand AJ but it still hurts to think we are somewhat afraid to schedule So Miss or Furman because we're not sure we can beat them. If this is the case how can anyone argue this program is on the right path?

Your concern is valid, but I think most teams would schedule a win. Why go through the logistical challenges and cost (they'd have to pay Howard more to come Oct. 6 than if it was originally scheduled) and run the risk of losing a game. USM and Furman should be easily handled by UNC, but why run the risk?

And for the record, I'd like to see them play the best team available. I am not fond of games against FCS teams. I have no earthly idea why the NCAA even approves of those games.

Reactions: Archer2
And for the record, I'd like to see them play the best team available. I am not fond of games against FCS teams. I have no earthly idea why the NCAA even approves of those games.
For one thing, 1AA (FCS) teams that play at a P5 often make a year's budget with that one road trip. So it is good for them financially. Western playing UNC back to back years will now have money with which to operate better as a SoCon member.

I do not buy the argument that UNC owes it to the state and other NC state schools that play 1A (FBS) schools to play them. But I would be fine with UNC playing 1 1AA school located in NC every year. That would be all the charity to other NC schools that UNC should pay.

For one thing, 1AA (FCS) teams that play at a P5 often make a year's budget with that one road trip. So it is good for them financially. Western playing UNC back to back years will now have money with which to operate better as a SoCon member.

I do not buy the argument that UNC owes it to the state and other NC state schools that play 1A (FBS) schools to play them. But I would be fine with UNC playing 1 1AA school located in NC every year. That would be all the charity to other NC schools that UNC should pay.

I agree about the reasoning, and as long as it's allowed I think its best if they play the instate schools, too. But from a competitive standpoint, I don't think the NCAA should allow it.

I'd still rather see Tulsa, Utah State and La-Monroe replace those teams on the schedules than Fla A&M, Indiana State and Mercer.

ADVERTISEMENT