June 17 1994

Oj Simpson car chase
Arnold Palmer’s final us open
Game 5 nba playoffs
Ken Griffey ties most homers by June 30
Us hosts first ever world cup
Rangers Stanley cup parade.

Damn I miss sports

The 30 for 30 on this was really well done.

On this day, our fellow poaster @MWHeels was born.

Also on this day, 1 year ago, @MWHeels poasted in this thread that he celebrated his birthday in 1994 by watching the OJ Bronco chase.

Also on this day, in 2020, I looked back through this thread to learn the above two tidbits.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Haha, that you are not, but great day in history. This album ranks super high on my list and the melody on side 2 on record is incredible. You just sit back for 20 minutes with your favorite drink and listen to it just continuously string through.

Some more fun facts about Abbey Road:

- John Lennon had already told the band he was leaving when this album was released.
- George wrote Here Comes the Sun in his garden when he played hooky on a recording session for Maxwell's Silver Hammer.
- Paul was afraid to record the vocals to "You Never Give me Your Money" in front of the other band members so he went to Abbey Road at 8am one morning to do them.
- The original title was going to be Everest but they didn't want to do all the photos for it so they just went outside to take the pics and called it Abbey Road.
- The drum solo on The End is the only drum solo in the entire Beatles catalog.
- Something is the first of 3 hit records recorded about Pattie Boyd, George's then wife who later married his best friend Eric Clapton.
Have you seen this? I stumbled upon it one morning last week. My dogs were ready for their walk but it's so good I made them wait the full 18 minutes.

Have you seen this? I stumbled upon it one morning last week. My dogs were ready for their walk but it's so good I made them wait the full 18 minutes.

I normally hate when other artists play Beatles songs. To me, it's like some dude wearing a Bulls 23 jersey who isn't Michael Jordan trying to do his moves...never gonna be as good as MJ doing it.

That said - these guys are solid.

Also...the transition between Polyathene Pam and She Came in Through the Bathroom Window in the original Beatles recording is maybe my favorite bit of music ever.

Well done. The silver-haired dude on bass looks familiar to me.

ETA: after watching the credits, I realize the silver haired dude was Will Lee, who played in the Paul Shaffer led band for Letterman.

Also, does anyone else get a little choked up during "The End", knowing that it was the last song the Beatles recorded together on their last album (even though Let It Be was released after Abbey Road)?

No, me neither...

Last edited:
I remember exactly where I was during the OJ chase: smoking hash in the common area of the downtown San Francisco youth hostel with some friends I’d traveled cross country with. Earlier that day, my guitar had been stolen by some dicks who smashed the windows in my buddy’s Mustang and then we smoked a doobie with an old homeless dude while sitting in the middle of the sidewalk on Market Street. That was a helluva day.
I was working for a office partition installation company and we were watching the chase on the news on the office tv we were working in. We thought would be clever and do a parody in the truck on the way home over the company radio for everyone to hear. Co worker said I was in the floorboard and had a drill to my head and we were demanding raises and so on and we were driving to Corp hq. funny stuff. But we weren’t thinking that no one in the office had a TV on or had a clue about the chase so they had no idea wtf we were doing and pretty much thought we had lost our minds when we got there.

One of those top 10 or so moments in music history.

wow Great topic. My other 9 in no order

Beatles on sullivan
Elvis’ return in vegas
Hendrix at Woodstock
Queen at live aid
Beethoven’s 9th live debut (written AFTER becoming deaf, wtf)
MTV comes on the air with “video killed the radio star”
Michael Jackson releases “thriller”
Nirvana on mtv

Reactions: dadika13
wow Great topic. My other 9 in no order

Beatles on sullivan
Elvis’ return in vegas
Hendrix at Woodstock
Queen at live aid
Beethoven’s 9th live debut (written AFTER becoming deaf, wtf)
MTV comes on the air with “video killed the radio star”
Michael Jackson releases “thriller”
Nirvana on mtv

Ah, good one.

I'll agree with you on:

Beatles Sullivan
Just Woodstock in general
Queen at Live Aid
Nirvana on Unplugged
MTV

My Elvis moment would be his first one when he does the hip shake on whatever TV show that was...the one in Forrest Gump.
My MJ moment would be the moonwalk.
Beatles last performance on the roof
Dylan releasing Like a Rolling Stone

Reactions: heelmanwilm
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT