ADVERTISEMENT

This week Mack talking about

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
the lack of success scoring TDs after getting into the Red Zone.

Ole Miss fans nearly universally said that Longo could get the ball moved down the field against almost anybody, but that he could not score RZ TDs save against teams with less talent.

Mack now is saying that UNC under Longo has the exact problem that Ole Miss fans said marred everything about Longo as OC.

Ole Miss fans nearly universally said that Longo could get the ball moved down the field against almost anybody, but that he could not score RZ TDs save against teams with less talent.

Mack now is saying that UNC under Longo has the exact problem that Ole Miss fans said marred everything about Longo as OC.
So....Mack is actually some Ole Miss fan.

Ole Miss offense ain't so hot this yr.... but yeah, vs Pitt esp it looked like we'd only practiced one play in the RZ.

Ole Miss offense ain't so hot this yr.... but yeah, vs Pitt esp it looked like we'd only practiced one play in the RZ.
This year's Ole Miss offense is filled with freshmen - more than we play. But that is beside the point. If Longo failed to score TDs when in the RZ last year and the year before last at Ole Miss, then he failed to score TDs in the RZ. That Ole Miss has not overcome that issue this year does not mean it was not a problem the previous 2 years.

The problem for us did not start vs. Pitt. Right now, UNC is #13 in the 14 team ACC and #113 nationally in RZ TD %.

Is there any way to see that as any better than lousy?

This year's Ole Miss offense is filled with freshmen - more than we play. But that is beside the point. If Longo failed to score TDs when in the RZ last year and the year before last at Ole Miss, then he failed to score TDs in the RZ. That Ole Miss has not overcome that issue this year does not mean it was not a problem the previous 2 years.

The problem for us did not start vs. Pitt. Right now, UNC is #13 in the 14 team ACC and #113 nationally in RZ TD %.

Is there any way to see that as any better than lousy?
Uh, no.

Foreshadowing?
Mack does not have time to be nice this time around.

I would imagine Mack has had some pretty stern conversations with the entire staff at times this year because we've been so darn close to winning every week. But I don't imagine any coach has had as many conversations with Mack as Longo. Our play calling at times is puzzling, especially in the red zone. You can tell by both Mack's and Longo's PC's that it is being addressed in no uncertain terms.

Foreshadowing?
Mack does not have time to be nice this time around.
Perhaps so. Mack definitely has no time to play around. And that poor production in the RZ will cost you a ton of games you otherwise should have won.

Longo is from NJ. Rutgers seems to be on the verge of rehiring Greg Schiano. Schiano certainly would need an OC with P5 OC experience who knows the northeast.

Longo as Shiano's OC at Rutgers is a match made in Heaven.

I’ll be interested to see who will be on the OC market this off season. If there isn’t an obviously better candidate then Mack will be more likely to give Longo a second year

Reactions: Archer2
Perhaps so. Mack definitely has no time to play around. And that poor production in the RZ will cost you a ton of games you otherwise should have won.

Longo is from NJ. Rutgers seems to be on the verge of rehiring Greg Schiano. Schiano certainly would need an OC with P5 OC experience who knows the northeast.

Longo as Shiano's OC at Rutgers is a match made in Heaven.

Longo's been great in the middle, and at times has been good in short-yardage situations 3rd and 4th down, but most of that was not RZ. But i'm not ready to pull the plug on him yet. Bateman made VT's 3rd-string QB / wildcat look as good as Baylor's circa 2015, and he made two bad passers look like Tom Brady, and made Wake look unstoppable, but i'm not ready to pull the plug on him either.

Regarding this Rutgers talk, how frequently do we see a first yr coach move on from a first yr OC? Doesn't seem so frequent, but i'm probably not paying attention.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Longo's been great in the middle, and at times has been good in short-yardage situations 3rd and 4th down, but most of that was not RZ. But i'm not ready to pull the plug on him yet. Bateman made VT's 3rd-string QB / wildcat look as good as Baylor's circa 2015, and he made two bad passers look like Tom Brady, and made Wake look unstoppable, but i'm not ready to pull the plug on him either.

Regarding this Rutgers talk, how frequently do we see a first yr coach move on from a first yr OC? Doesn't seem so frequent, but i'm probably not paying attention.
Longo has 3 years as a P5 OC. Each season, he has been very good in the middle and very poor in the RZ. That is with 3 teams that definitely had more talent and depth on O than on D. I think all 3 Ole Miss starting WRs last year were drafted, along with a guy on the OL. The QB was 2nd in the SEC in passing yards. The starting RB had more than 900 yards rushing, and his back up had more than 400.

What in Longo's career suggests to you that this year and the previous two are about to be revealed as anomalies?

Bateman has dealt with a plethora of injuries in the backfield, and an inexperienced LB corp, both of which have severely limited his schemes. I think he has done more with what he's had to work with than Longo. Both have had to deal with a lack of depth. I think Longo will get at least one more year to improve his play calling, but if it doesn'y get better, Mack will not hesitate to pull the trigger. Nor should he. Bateman, IMO, is a young star. Next Year, when he gets all those young defensive studs, our defense will start to shine. JIMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT