ADVERTISEMENT

This years team was not DEEP, TALENTED or with a ton of EXPERIENCE…

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
I have become so tired of seeing so many incorrect posts and comments saying how can a team with 4 players back and a so called talented bench be having such a unexpected lean season. Please let me explain things to you in the simplest way I can.

Love, Davis and Bacot are the expierenced players who must combine for 60 points a contest for Carolina to be in any game because the wing players of Black and Nance are barely combining for 12 points a contest Puff has been out more than he has been available and that has hurt the team.

Dunn and Styles are sophomores and they also DO NOT bring a lot of experience to the team.

Trimble, Washington and Nickel all freshmen have UNPROVEN talent at the college level. Trimble refuses to look to shoot the rock. Washington is coming off a MAJOR INJURY and has had some moments but still looks lost. Nichols can score but remember in high school he dominated less talented tier teams and it is a whole different game now. That is three more with little experience at the college level and it shows.

Shaver now injured along with McKoy
are bigs but both cannot be considered to be contributors offensively and they also have little experience and playing time.

Nance is playing out of position at the four instead of the five so his experience at the power forward and playing with a new team is something that has also hurt the team this season. People expected Nance to be another Manek which was GROSSLY UNFAIR to him.

So the lack of consistent scoring from the wings really hurt the team allowing opponents to double team Bacot and clog up the lanes.

If you think I am way off here saying the team is not DEEP, TALENTED or lack EXPERIENCE then prove me wrong because I have presented a pretty strong case.

Reactions: gberry78
I agree 100% …the only thing i’d add is that the team lacks a true point guard which it desperately needs.. the 2 headed combo guard monster both still makes head scratching turnovers and don’t create enough opportunities for others.. the late season run last year merely gave the failing experiment new life…

Reactions: IDUNK4HEELS
I think the biggest problem is that none of the returning players got better compared to last year before March. Relatively speaking, if we're comparing the returning players to what they were from November through January last year, I doubt we say any of them really got better.

Bacot's basically the same player. RJ is basically the same player. Leaky is basically the same player. Puff is basically the same player. Dunn is basically the same player. Styles is basically the same player. And Caleb got worse.

Lack of a true PG with penetrating ability and a willingness to pass the ball.

Lack of consistent outside shooting.

Lack of consistent effort defensively.

An inexperienced HC who doesn’t make adjustments and continues to try and hammer square pegs into round holes vis a vis installing a new system for which our personnel isn’t at all suited.

A complete lack of discipline and accountability by the staff.

Lack of bench/player development/basketball IQ.

A lackadaisical, sometimes selfish attitude on the court.

I personally think all of these things have contributed to our dilemma. We’re not playing consistently hard, smart, or together. We lack synergy, the end product is not more than the sum of the individual players. Our problems go much deeper than just needing more talent. Unless some of these coaching issues are addressed, the descent is going to continue.

I have become so tired of seeing so many incorrect posts and comments saying how can a team with 4 players back and a so called talented bench be having such a unexpected lean season. Please let me explain things to you in the simplest way I can.

Love, Davis and Bacot are the expierenced players who must combine for 60 points a contest for Carolina to be in any game because the wing players of Black and Nance are barely combining for 12 points a contest Puff has been out more than he has been available and that has hurt the team.

Dunn and Styles are sophomores and they also DO NOT bring a lot of experience to the team.

Trimble, Washington and Nickel all freshmen have UNPROVEN talent at the college level. Trimble refuses to look to shoot the rock. Washington is coming off a MAJOR INJURY and has had some moments but still looks lost. Nichols can score but remember in high school he dominated less talented tier teams and it is a whole different game now. That is three more with little experience at the college level and it shows.

are bigs but both cannot be considered to be contributors offensively and they also have little experience and playing time.

Nance is playing out of position at the four instead of the five so his experience at the power forward and playing with a new team is something that has also hurt the team this season. People expected Nance to be another Manek which was GROSSLY UNFAIR to him.

So the lack of consistent scoring from the wings really hurt the team allowing opponents to double team Bacot and clog up the lanes.

If you think I am way off here saying the team is not DEEP, TALENTED or lack EXPERIENCE then prove me wrong because I have presented a pretty strong case.
ID, I do think we are very talented but our talent does not fit the scheme we are trying to play, it is a forced fit that isn't fitting. I see things that make absolutely zero sense to me, why would you position Leaky and nance out past the 3pt arch and not expect defenders to not double off of them? The best thing I have seen in the last several games is Leaky selling the pump fake and driving but I do have to wonder why a defender would fly out at Leaky expecting a jump shot rather than letting him take it and making sure he is blocked out for the rebound? If I am coaching against UNC and Leaky had just hit his 5th trey in the game know what I am going to do? I am going to say good job young man now show me you can hit 6 in a row!

The only really consistent player we have is Bacot, the rest you just really never know what we are going to get from the rest from one game to the next.

I do think we are both talented and deep, we just are not in schemes that allow the strengths of that talent to be featured. I really do love our current set of freshmen, I do not want to see Seth, Jalen, or Tyler leave any time soon, sad to say but I would prefer to see any of our current starters leave before those 3 freshmen. But what was it Dean said was the best thing about a freshman player, that they became sophs? LOL

Were your expectations for this team that they would play in the NIT?

• Haha
Reactions: RoseHeel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT