ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on season so far

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
We are 2-3, which sounds like nothing special. But we rather easily could have won all 3 games we lost. And those 3 teams that beat us are a combined 14-0.

The team has no quit whatsoever. Injuries have slowed it, but it keeps plugging away, expecting to win every game. The attitude adjustment to fighter, winner is largely complete. Now we just need more depth and experience, and a couple more stars on each side of the ball, to start to dominate the Coastal.

All things considered now, I think we are the 2nd best team in the Coastal, and by the time we face UVA, we could be better and deserve to win the division this year.

I have doubts about Longo, but not about Bateman.

Per Sagarin, the Heels SOS is no. 3, so we've had a brutal opening stretch of games. These guys won't quit; I love the fight in them.

Going forward, we can certainly beat every team left on the schedule. And we do get the two teams ahead of us in the Coastal (dook and UVA) at home, so we control our destiny.

I was hoping for 3-3 after Ga Tech and that is still in play. Have to think Mercer is a win so 2 wins out of the other 5 would mean a bowl game. My fear was a 1-5 start, team would lose confidence and sputter the back half of the season. Team has some talent just lacks depth and key injuries hasn't helped that situation. Finish with 7-6, including a bowl win, keep the loses competitive and I think the recruiting will continue the upward trend.

There's silver linings everywhere. We're playing a lot of young guys which means they're getting valuable experience that will pay dividends the next several years. We have talented guys coming in to replace the seniors that will graduate this year. Losing Rene was a major blow, but he hasn't used his redshirt so he can come back next year. If he makes a full recovery then I would argue that we're better off having him back next year.

This team should have a lot of confidence knowing that they took the top team in the country down to the wire and could have beaten them. But also the frustration of not getting it done should push them to work harder in practice.

Next year I think we should be favorites to win the coastal, even with a team that will still be young. We have BC as the crossover opponent which is obviously an easier matchup than Clemson. Another thing that could help is opening with UCF and Auburn, which will both be tough games. Every team in the Coastal will be easier to beat than those two teams. And the performance against Clemson yesterday tells us that we should be able to compete, and even possibly win both of those games.

Realistically, I think Mack can have UNC competing for a playoff spot by year 3. Several teams in the Coastal are reeling, while we appear to be in the process of a major turnaround. The biggest key may just be keeping guys healthy and avoiding the major injuries that have plagued us for the past several years.

Last edited:
I'm OK with 2-3. This team is way better than the last few years and I think the direction is good and positive. After those first two wins, it was a bummer to lose to Wake and ASU, but our play against Clemson has me very optimistic again. We can certainly win every game left on the schedule. We'll see what happens, but going to a bowl is looking good.

only disappointments for me are play selection and lack of using the running game.

this team is on the verge...i think they can win out...gtech sucks, so we need to beat them down...these are the games i worry about with a young team and a new coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT