ADVERTISEMENT

Thread about Running

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
I'm making this thread so as not to muck up the OOTB UNC Other Sports thread. I know @uncboy10 and @WhatTheHeel? (?) are runners. I don't run nearly as much as I used to. In high school, I ran track for two years and cross country for one. Don't mistake this to mean I was fast or anything.... those two sports didn't have tryouts or cuts :p

I've been inspired to:
1. Break my high school 5K PR of 20:55
2. Break 20:00 on a 5K
3. Any further improvements I can do from there.

I believe my mile PR is 5:45.

Random running question @uncboy10, do you find running in cold weather is exceedingly more difficult and more uncomfortable than running in warm/hot weather? For me, running in cold weather is terrible. I have much less stamina and I start to get that effect where you taste blood in the back of your throat (hopefully others know this phenomena and I'm not just dying) lol.

Reactions: Heelicious
I did track and cross country in high school, wasn't very good at either. I've been trying to work in more walking/jogging/running into my workout routine lately, but not as successfully as I might like. Still, gotta start somewhere. I'd like to get back to at least being able to run 5K's, then I'll worry about time.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I did track and cross country in high school, wasn't very good at either. I've been trying to work in more walking/jogging/running into my workout routine lately, but not as successfully as I might like. Still, gotta start somewhere. I'd like to get back to at least being able to run 5K's, then I'll worry about time.
Fair shout, lol. I should probably start off by simply seeing if I can finish a 5K, then record the time as a baseline.

tenor.gif

I used to run in college, not for sport or anything, just something I did on my own time. I don't anymore, but I wish I never stopped. There's a big difference between college me who runs vs an older version of me with a desk job.

Oh, and since I went to college in Boone, I can confirm running in the cold absolutely sucks.

I hate running.

Running is part of F3 workouts. The worst part. Except maybe for burpees.

I can finish a 5k. Last one I did was on trails and I think I was under 25 minutes. But I hate running.

Edit: Wait, that time can't be right. I can do an 8-minute mile, but barely, and I know I couldn't keep that pace for 3+. So the time must have been higher than that. Anyway, I finished lol.

Last edited:
My 5k PR is currently around 20:30 but I don't focus on speed work nearly enough.

I never ran track or xc but I played baseball and football in high school so I've always been in good shape. Just really got into running this year. Ran a 60k ultra marathon this past June.

@TarHeelNation11 yes I despise running in the cold. My teeth hurt, my lungs hurt and my muscles always feel tight. Wearing a buff or something over my ears helps a lot though.

I'm making this thread so as not to muck up the OOTB UNC Other Sports thread. I know @uncboy10 and @WhatTheHeel? (?) are runners. I don't run nearly as much as I used to. In high school, I ran track for two years and cross country for one. Don't mistake this to mean I was fast or anything.... those two sports didn't have tryouts or cuts :p

I've been inspired to:
1. Break my high school 5K PR of 20:55
2. Break 20:00 on a 5K
3. Any further improvements I can do from there.

I believe my mile PR is 5:45.

Random running question @uncboy10, do you find running in cold weather is exceedingly more difficult and more uncomfortable than running in warm/hot weather? For me, running in cold weather is terrible. I have much less stamina and I start to get that effect where you taste blood in the back of your throat (hopefully others know this phenomena and I'm not just dying) lol.

Holy shit. 20:00 minutes for a 5k is pretty damn fast. I run. I don't particularly like it but I do it. But I run at a 8-9 minute mile clip. It's just an easy and convenient way for me to get some cardio work in. A couple years ago, I was averaging around 25-30 miles per week. Now I'm lucky if I can get 15 miles per week in. My favorite thing about running is what it does for my mental health. I enjoy the "me" time listening to music.

I run on trails almost exclusively. I hate running on the road. As far as weather goes, I much prefer the cold. In fact, I won't run outdoors from late May until about October. Ideal running temp for me is in the high 30s or low 40s. I prefer the cold for several reasons but the biggest is because I like wearing a toboggan because it keeps my earbuds from falling out.

Related but not related: I have odd shaped ear holes. I must. Because I can't seem to find any earbuds that fit well in my ears. It's maddening to have them falling out. I swear, if I was a millionaire, I'd have custom made earbuds that were guaranteed to stay in through all activities.

Reactions: Heelicious
We should start a Strava group for OOTB
Is that similar to MapMyRun, I'm assuming? Also holy shit.....60KM?! All at once? That's insane.

I'm starting my training tomorrow. My plan is to do the following steps:
1. Run consistently for 7 days, at least 1 mile each time. Focus on not stopping (walking) if at all possible.
2. Run a mile for baseline.
3. Run a 5K....if I complete it, record time for baseline.
4. Four days a week, run distance... 3-5 miles, etc.
5. On the other three days, work on trimming mile time down until I can get it to 6:00 consistently.
6. Once I can get it to 6:00 consistently, use those three days a week to try to add laps to the mile, eventually working my way up to doing 3 consecutive 6.5 minute miles.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that hates the cold. That's funny you mention your teeth and lungs hurt @uncboy10 because mine do the same thing in the cold.

@gunslingerdick I have a similar problem with headphones falling out. Have you ever tried Skull Candy headphones? You can really mash them in place and they'll stay for me without being uncomfortable. I also have a Coulax bluetooth headphone set which I love, but it's very impractical for running because the harness of it flops around.

This is unusual I know, but I much prefer running on a track than running on trails in the woods. When I run on trails in the woods, I have no idea how far I've gone and thus have no sense of accomplishment or lack there of. Sometimes I'll feel like I'm killing it on the trails, and then see a mile marker and realize I've barely done a mile.

With a track, I know my exact distance travelled at all times. It helps me set goals during the run: "Ok, two more laps and then you can stop."

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Is that similar to MapMyRun, I'm assuming? Also holy shit.....60KM?! All at once? That's insane.

I'm starting my training tomorrow. My plan is to do the following steps:
1. Run consistently for 7 days, at least 1 mile each time. Focus on not stopping (walking) if at all possible.
2. Run a mile for baseline.
3. Run a 5K....if I complete it, record time for baseline.
4. Four days a week, run distance... 3-5 miles, etc.
5. On the other three days, work on trimming mile time down until I can get it to 6:00 consistently.
6. Once I can get it to 6:00 consistently, use those three days a week to try to add laps to the mile, eventually working my way up to doing 3 consecutive 6.5 minute miles.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that hates the cold. That's funny you mention your teeth and lungs hurt @uncboy10 because mine do the same thing in the cold.

@gunslingerdick I have a similar problem with headphones falling out. Have you ever tried Skull Candy headphones? You can really mash them in place and they'll stay for me without being uncomfortable. I also have a Coulax bluetooth headphone set which I love, but it's very impractical for running because the harness of it flops around.

Yeah its similar to mapmyrun. The gps data is extremely useful for keeping track of progress. It also will let you know if you're maintaining a consistent pace.

And yeah all at once, but obviously I didn't run the entire thing. I was massively undertrained for that distance, my previous longest run before race day was 15 miles. I pretty much walked it in from the marathon mark.

@gunslingerdick I have a similar problem with headphones falling out. Have you ever tried Skull Candy headphones?

I have not. I will look into them. They have to be durable though. I can't tell you how many sets I've gone through in the last 5 years. Because I sweat. Big time. So much so that the sweat gets down in the earbuds and starts to ruin them. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have not. I will look into them. They have to be durable though. I can't tell you how many sets I've gone through in the last 5 years. Because I sweat. Big time. So much so that the sweat gets down in the earbuds and starts to ruin them. Thanks for the suggestion.
Also, for whatever reason, these cheap little Sony earbuds (this exact style) work the best for me. They never come out when I run or workout. Ever.

https://www.target.com/p/sony-in-ea...7wJbd6aI4VmucupOCRMaArRzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is unusual I know, but I much prefer running on a track than running on trails in the woods. When I run on trails in the woods, I have no idea how far I've gone and thus have no sense of accomplishment or lack there of. Sometimes I'll feel like I'm killing it on the trails, and then see a mile marker and realize I've barely done a mile.

With a track, I know my exact distance travelled at all times. It helps me set goals during the run: "Ok, two more laps and then you can stop."

You don't do Runkeeper or a similar app to track mileage and time? That's crazy. Or get yourself Fitbit or Jawbone.

You don't do Runkeeper or a similar app to track mileage and time? That's crazy. Or get yourself Fitbit or Jawbone.
I don't do any of those, no. Only thing I do is if I'm running on the streets instead of a track, I'll use MapMyRun either before or after to track how far I'm going/went. Then I'll manually note my time and evaluate if I was going at a slow pace.

Are the earpieces that flexible rubber? I like those best.
The actual part that covers the earbud? Yes, it's the flexible rubber. I usually lose those little pieces within a few weeks though cuz I'm not careful when I take them off lol. But even without those pieces, they're not uncomfortable. I've used that pair of headphones for like 3 years.

I don't do any of those, no. Only thing I do is if I'm running on the streets instead of a track, I'll use MapMyRun either before or after to track how far I'm going/went. Then I'll manually note my time and evaluate if I was going at a slow pace.

That seems like work. Runkeeper is the app I like best. I don't really use it much anymore because I have like 6-8 different trail runs and by this point I know how long each loop is so all I have to do is time it now. But when I was running a lot and many different courses, Runkeeper was my favorite. It was just so easy to use.

That seems like work. Runkeeper is the app I like best. I don't really use it much anymore because I have like 6-8 different trail runs and by this point I know how long each loop is so all I have to do is time it now. But when I was running a lot and many different courses, Runkeeper was my favorite. It was just so easy to use.
Does it run through your phone? Or through like a Fitbit? I don't have the latter.

Does it run through your phone? Or through like a Fitbit? I don't have the latter.

But I'll also give a plug for the Jawbone/Fitbit devices. Those are great not so much for days when I workout but for days I don't workout. On off days, I'd still find myself checking my steps and saying to myself "that ain't enough" and then I'd go find something active to do.

Sadly, I jumped in the water too many times with my Jawbone device and it broke. I'm now fat.

I've never used run keeper but I would also look into the accuracy of the gps tracking because not all apps are created equal. What I like about Strava is it essentially creates a profile for you that tracks weekly milage, PR's, ect. And its the most popular running/cycling app so you can follow other people including pro athletes for a little extra motivation. You can also create groups or "clubs" that have their own leaderboards.

But arguably the best part are the "segments." Which are just stretches of road/trail/track that have been marked by other runners, so every person who runs that segment gets ranked on a leaderboard. It also ranks your performances if you run a segment multiple times.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that hates the cold.
Disclaimer: I don't hate the cold, I just hate running in the cold. Also, my definition of "cold" begins in the 30s. I can do 40s and 50s no problem. Running in the cold makes my lungs have this "heavy" feeling that I can't tolerate. I don't really know how else to describe it. I don't like running in the heat either, really, but when I was in Boone, there weren't very many days I found it too hot to run. I would do it in the 80s and maybe very low 90s, but if it got hotter than that, I just said F it and either got on the treadmill or just played video games all day.

I've never used run keeper but I would also look into the accuracy of the gps tracking because not all apps are created equal. What I like about Strava is it essentially creates a profile for you that tracks weekly milage, PR's, ect. And its the most popular running/cycling app so you can follow other people including pro athletes for a little extra motivation. You can also create groups or "clubs" that have their own leaderboards.

But arguably the best part are the "segments." Which are just stretches of road/trail/track that have been marked by other runners, so every person who runs that segment gets ranked on a leaderboard. It also ranks your performances if you run a segment multiple times.
Does it run through your phone as an app?

I've never been serious about running, but I did a 5K a few years ago for fun in about 34 minutes. Not sure if that time is any good. LOL

I must be the most low-tech 28-year-old ever lol

Lol its pretty simple but extremely useful. Its essentially just a social media platform for running/cycling/swimming. You probably won't have any problems

Also I forgot to mention that it tracks elevation as well so you can actually measure how much vert you're getting too

Lol its pretty simple but extremely useful. Its essentially just a social media platform for running/cycling/swimming. You probably won't have any problems

Also I forgot to mention that it tracks elevation as well so you can actually measure how much vert you're getting too
No, I know technology. I just don't have any. I don't own a Fitbit, for instance. Don't own an iPhone. Etc.

I don't run. Back when I used to be into lifting one of my workout buddies talked me into trying it. I did twice I think. It's terrible. I would run all day playing a sport but running for the hell of it isn't for me. I did it in HS for sports of course but since then I have run those couple of times and that is it.

I do sometimes yell at runners to get out of the road when I'm on the way to the golf course.

Just started marathon training with my daughter. This is the fattest I have ever been, so the timing is good.

I don't like running to music either for a couple of reasons- one, it distracts me and two, differing beats in songs messes up the pace.

I lurk over here and finally found a thread where nobody was pissing on each other. I'm 54 years old. played high school football and baseball and played baseball in college. My dad was a lifelong coach of both sports and was an avid runner just to stay in shape. Thankfully after college I bought into his commitment and began running on a regular basis and still do to this day. Used to run outside but in 2000 was hit head on and fractured my calcaneus (heel) so I have been limited to a treadmill for the most part ever since because of the impact. I run 6 days a week ( 4 on treadmill and 2 outside. I love running and at 54 it keeps me in shape. 6'1 190 and love running.

Highly recommend everyone check out the documentary about the Barkley Marathons on netflix.

Also the Wonderland Trail FKT by Gary Robbins was made into an epic trail running film on youtube by "The Ginger Runner."

Both are excellent if you want/need some motivation

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT