ADVERTISEMENT

Thread about Running

Congratulations! Turned out to be a pretty good weekend for you (Grindstone Finish+UNC Win.) That looks like the course has changed from years ago--or at least the aid station names have changed. I'm sure it's as tough a course as it ever was.

Is Clark Zealand still the RD?

The friend I've mention who's trying to do the world major marathons pushing his grown, special needs son, did Berlin this weekend. I think he's done 3 of 7 now.

This was my first time at the event but from what I understand, we did a decent bit of the old course but with a new start/finish and some different stuff thrown in. It was a fairly tough course but what really snuck up on me was the descents. We got a decent bit of rain so it was slick in places on top of being fairly technical. My quads definitely took the brunt of it.

He is still the RD but the race was bought out by UTMB. This is first time it’s been run since the takeover. I’d say they definitely had a few hiccups where they need to make adjustments. At one point I came into an aid station and was able to fill my bottles just as they ran out of water… I’d rather see fewer races get bought out, but it’s nice to have an east coast race that’s a WS100, HR100, and UTMB qualifier all in one.

I remember you mentioning your friend and the world majors with his son. That’s really awesome. I bet sorting out the logistics of just getting them both to the start line in one piece was a feat in and of itself.

I knew about the UTMB connection. The event has been around a long time, I can't believe they'd run out of water--though maybe adding the 100K this year, they didn't do the math correctly for the additional participants.

So, are you registering for WS? HR? UTMB??? :)

I knew about the UTMB connection. The event has been around a long time, I can't believe they'd run out of water--though maybe adding the 100K this year, they didn't do the math correctly for the additional participants.

So, are you registering for WS? HR? UTMB??? :)

100% registering for the WS lottery and probably the HR lottery too since my odds will be so low on my first try anyways. I could roll my stones over with next year and my understanding is I’d have a very high probability of running UTMB in 2025. I’ll have to do a little more homework on that. I’m pretty sure I want to do the UTMB on my first trip though instead of doing CCC first.

Steep climbs are a weakness so I would have a lot of work to do to get ready for a race like UTMB or HR100. But hypothetically if I don’t get drawn for any of them then I think the plan will be to try and race Hellbender, then hit Grindstone again in the fall. That will also give me some fun scouting missions to do over the winter, since I’ve only really ran the parts of the hellbender course that go up and around Mitchell.

Almost forgot I have Pinhoti in 6 weeks… lmao

100% registering for the WS lottery and probably the HR lottery too since my odds will be so low on my first try anyways. I could roll my stones over with next year and my understanding is I’d have a very high probability of running UTMB in 2025. I’ll have to do a little more homework on that. I’m pretty sure I want to do the UTMB on my first trip though instead of doing CCC first.

Steep climbs are a weakness so I would have a lot of work to do to get ready for a race like UTMB or HR100. But hypothetically if I don’t get drawn for any of them then I think the plan will be to try and race Hellbender, then hit Grindstone again in the fall. That will also give me some fun scouting missions to do over the winter, since I’ve only really ran the parts of the hellbender course that go up and around Mitchell.

Almost forgot I have Pinhoti in 6 weeks… lmao
If you need a pacer for Hellbender, let me know. I'm pretty familiar with the course and the sucky parts (Snooks Nose and Leadmine being the worst.)

I hope you get in WS and UTMB (though maybe not the same year, LOL.) I did WS in 2014 (after several years of lotteries) and was worried it would come across as elitist since so few people get in. It actually wasn't. It's not the prettiest course, but it does have that history.

I prefer the smaller events (fewer participants) but have to say that UTMB was special. It's just a gorgeous area and since there are several different races going on during the week, there's always something finishing in Chamonix while you wait for your race to start. I don't think I'll go back, but I'll definitely say that I was underprepared for the climbs and more notably, the descents. I was trashed by the halfway point.

Good luck at Pinhoti. Seems like it got the better of you a few years ago. Hope you get your revenge.

If you need a pacer for Hellbender, let me know. I'm pretty familiar with the course and the sucky parts (Snooks Nose and Leadmine being the worst.)

I hope you get in WS and UTMB (though maybe not the same year, LOL.) I did WS in 2014 (after several years of lotteries) and was worried it would come across as elitist since so few people get in. It actually wasn't. It's not the prettiest course, but it does have that history.

I prefer the smaller events (fewer participants) but have to say that UTMB was special. It's just a gorgeous area and since there are several different races going on during the week, there's always something finishing in Chamonix while you wait for your race to start. I don't think I'll go back, but I'll definitely say that I was underprepared for the climbs and more notably, the descents. I was trashed by the halfway point.

Good luck at Pinhoti. Seems like it got the better of you a few years ago. Hope you get your revenge.

I might have to take you up on that. I’m sure I’ll need all the help I can get.

There’s still so many bigger races that I want to cross off the list but I’m quickly learning to appreciate the smaller races. I really appreciate the small race feel and the attention that is given to every single runner. That’s just not possible at something like UTMB. But it does seem like something every ultra runner should try to at least witness once. The spectacle is unreal.

Thanks I hope to get redemption this year. This will be my third attempt in a row. The first year I had a really severe ankle sprain around 20 miles in and foolishly hobbled for another 35 miles before missing a cutoff. Last year I had an IT band problem at around 30. If I do finish, I’m not sure I’ll ever go back again lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT