ADVERTISEMENT

TONIGHT'S the NIGHT!!!!

I can not recall being as emotionally muted this close to the beginning of basketball season, it is a surreal feeling that I am not comfortable with. This time of the year, you guys know, I am supposed to be on pins and needles, excited...I am just not, I think we have a final 4 quality team, I take our guys over the duke bunch and yet, yet I am just not feeling the feel? I am totally over last season, have no residual disappointments that stem from that, I just can not feel the juice and I really want that to change! I have no less love for my Tar Heels but I some how feel emotionally drained...

Yall may have to carry me for a while until I can find that excitement, at least, for the first time in a LONG while, I have not had a online board war with another poster this off season, am glad about that!

The Freshman backcourt will make or break the Heels early. The frontcourt will get their points but every great team needs BALANCE and the backcourt must score and keep their opponents honest with perimeter scoring. Nobody wants to see it or believe it but do not be surprised if Platek early steps up and provides a big spark until the talented freshmen feel comfortable and understand their roles...

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Hey D!

I would be glad to argue with you over something if it would help!!! (not real big on war though, lol)

I am very excited for this team due to last year's debacle, expected extreme improvement in returners, and seeing how the new pieces will fit! I think Roy will be at his mad scientists best this year and will coach 'em up to reach their potential.

I do not know about the all-freshman backcourt, however! I would prefer some experience, but sometimes the talent gap can be large. I still hold out hope that Platek will earn a starting position since it would mean he fixed his mentals!

The Freshman backcourt will make or break the Heels early. The frontcourt will get their points but every great team needs BALANCE and the backcourt must score and keep their opponents honest with perimeter scoring. Nobody wants to see it or believe it but do not be surprised if Platek early steps up and provides a big spark until the talented freshmen feel comfortable and understand their roles...
"Nobody wants to see it or believe it but do not be surprised if Platek early steps up and provides a big spark until the talented freshmen feel comfortable and understand their roles..."

sorry, I'm gonna be surprised.

I would LOVE To see Platek step up and play great. He's devoted all this time to Roy and UNC. The guys that stay for four years and get to have their say on Senior night mean a lot. I, for one, am hoping for a huge year from Platek. He deserves it!

I would LOVE To see Platek step up and play great. He's devoted all this time to Roy and UNC. The guys that stay for four years and get to have their say on Senior night mean a lot. I, for one, am hoping for a huge year from Platek. He deserves it!

Agree on the sentiment around longevity players, senior night, etc. I also have never heard anything negative about him as a person/player, appreciate that he loves UNC, etc. Seems like a nice, quality young man.

As for him "deserving" it.....meh. On his behalf, yes, he's apparently putting in the hard work, being a good teammate, being loyal, etc. We often hear about him stroking the ball in practice. The concept/idea/narrative that he contemplated leaving but "stuck it out" and stayed is, imo, unclear. I mean, it can easily be argued that Roy has not seen the return on his investment from Platek in terms of production. Further, it can be argued that Roy has given Platek way more opportunities than Platek deserves, stuck with him, etc. Maybe because he was the best option available at times, maybe because he had showed promise in practice and Roy kept hoping it would translate over into games, who knows. But on the court he has largely looked outclassed, lacking athleticism and confidence, and inconsistent with his shooting.

In summary, I am saying I too hope he has a huge year, an amazing year. But it isn't about him "deserving" it - go get it, young man. Make it all worthwhile.

Reactions: Archer2
Right now, I’m thoroughly enjoying the football season. I’m more hopeful about the direction of our program than I’ve been in years. I want so badly to see the Heels win the ACC again before I die.

Since I don’t follow pro sports with the exception of MLB, I am always excited when another UNC sports season rolls around. I am very happy to think that this edition of Carolina basketball has the makings of a great team. We will rely on a lot of young players, especially at the two guard spots, but feel Roy has the pieces with which to build a team capable of winning the ACC and making a deep run.

So I’ve got UNC football and basketball to follow and I’m happy as a pig in slop. I just hope the WuFlu doesn’t prevent the season from playing out.

85d23a4cc0ceb80f53e5d87c0a3d000026219fa0519091ff65f01fc44a38f26b.jpg

Last edited:
Agree on the sentiment around longevity players, senior night, etc. I also have never heard anything negative about him as a person/player, appreciate that he loves UNC, etc. Seems like a nice, quality young man.

As for him "deserving" it.....meh. On his behalf, yes, he's apparently putting in the hard work, being a good teammate, being loyal, etc. We often hear about him stroking the ball in practice. The concept/idea/narrative that he contemplated leaving but "stuck it out" and stayed is, imo, unclear. I mean, it can easily be argued that Roy has not seen the return on his investment from Platek in terms of production. Further, it can be argued that Roy has given Platek way more opportunities than Platek deserves, stuck with him, etc. Maybe because he was the best option available at times, maybe because he had showed promise in practice and Roy kept hoping it would translate over into games, who knows. But on the court he has largely looked outclassed, lacking athleticism and confidence, and inconsistent with his shooting.

In summary, I am saying I too hope he has a huge year, an amazing year. But it isn't about him "deserving" it - go get it, young man. Make it all worthwhile.
I totally agree that Platek has been outclassed, lacked athleticism/confidence and been inconsistent with his shooting ... and he caught plenty of hell for it from the fan base last year. I also agree that he was probably on the floor as much as he was last year because he was the best option available at times. As far as contemplating leaving ... lots of past players have openly admitted thinking about leaving after their first or second year.

I guess I would just like to see Platek get some pats on the back from the fan base instead of harping on how he is not a Division I talent. So I hope he earns some love from Heels fans this year.

Hey D!

I would be glad to argue with you over something if it would help!!! (not real big on war though, lol)

I am very excited for this team due to last year's debacle, expected extreme improvement in returners, and seeing how the new pieces will fit! I think Roy will be at his mad scientists best this year and will coach 'em up to reach their potential.

I do not know about the all-freshman backcourt, however! I would prefer some experience, but sometimes the talent gap can be large. I still hold out hope that Platek will earn a starting position since it would mean he fixed his mentals!

What, who the "F" are you to, nah, like ya to much to go to the "mattresses" with ya! LOL

I think we would all love to see Platek be worthy of being considered a starter. Thou he started several games last season, this from someone that has supported the kid a lot (even thru last season), I don't see him as a "starter". That isn't to say he will not be in the line up for games at the opening tip, I don't know if that will happen or not, all I know is it did happen last season. Circumstances could come together that result in Andrew starting some games and especially early on. But I look at a starter as one of the 5 most talented guys at his position on the team and that just is not how I see Platek. Now for sake of disclosure, I NEVER saw BRob as starter quality prior to last season even as many other fans here did. BRob proved it to me, he deserved to be a starter last season, his step up in my mind was huge. I would LOVE to see Platek have a similar senior season break out but I will have to see that to believe it.

I do know this much as it applies to Platek, the ut most value is that of a outside marksman, he was known as a shooter coming in and we just have not seen that in games. BUT, this season, when I consider guys like RJ, Ant, and Walton I find it really hard to say PLatek gives us more at the 2 than those fellas and I see that as especially so of RJ. To me, RJ is a starter no matter how many games he is on the bench for the opening tip. ONLY reason that kid does not start is the need to save him for back up PG duty, I think he is a little bit quicker version of Joel Berry. I like him as our starting 2 and a guy that rotates over the the point when Love sits.

Since DSouthr and I often agree so much here over the years I know he like me speaks with his head and not with his heart which allows almost all of his posts to be concise and logical and this time he has pointed to directly why Davis will not start early because there is no proven backup pointguard to come in when Love needs a blow.

I stand by my belief that Platek will be the starter early at the two and like Brob last season. With additional playing time as a senior will look like a whole different player.

If and when Harris comes back at 100 percent then things will and should change but until then like it or not Platek will probably be at the two when the season opens up in a couple of weeks...

ONLY reason that kid does not start is the need to save him for back up PG duty,
This is one of the principal reasons I think he will be the starter as well. I also agree that it is likely RJ will either match or surpass his in-game minutes! If a starter is the one who gets the bulk of the minutes or is playing during crunch time, then I think that guy is RJ or Ant when healthy. If starter is the guy who is in the game at the tip, I'm pretty sure that guy is Platek! BUT: All bets are off if Platek gets over his yips and can get back to being a shooter! One thing I know is at UNC peeps usually see a large improvement in their games over the years and I expect to see it in Platek this year. Another thing is, Max Owens is the only guy I can remember who never really got over his stage fright at UNC! And he found other ways to contribute!

Reactions: DSouthr
I was hoping it would be on a different network. I live in FL so I don't get the ACC network. Are there any free streaming options?
I use Sling. It isn't free, but it probably has a 1-week free trial. Worth doing and then cancelling before you have to pay.

Ditto for other services like YouTube TV or Hulu Live, etc.

In your shoes, I'd sign up for one of them now, to make sure it works for you. Leaving you time to sign up for another before the game starts if you have issues.

I watch Sling on my Roku. Usually works fine. Occasionally I get better results if I watch the game on the ESPN app (having Sling lets you sign up to use ESPN's app).

Looking at the ESPN link for all Division I games, I see that 14 Wednesday games have already been cancelled or postponed.

Only one involving the ACC (Duke vs Gardner Webb).

As we get ready for the beginning of the season, you gotta be thinking about Mikey.

Most of you remember this tool when the spammers visited the site.

bantroll.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT