ADVERTISEMENT

Top 11 High Schools With Most NBA Players (Winner is?)

Steat

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2006
I'm going to count these down over 2 weeks.

Lets see how good you are! Who do you think is #1?

Source: StadiumTalk

Dunbar High School (Baltimore, Md.) — 9 players

NBA Players Who Attended Dunbar (Years in League)

Muggsy Bogues (14)
Keith Booth (2)
Sam Cassell (15)
Terry Dozier (1)
Kurk Lee (1)
Reggie Lewis (6)
Reggie Williams (10)
David Wingate (15)
Skip Wise (1)

bdcd1311e9fd481883031e569f13a473.jpg

Last edited:
Thomas Jefferson High School (New York City, N.Y.) — 10 players

NBA Players Who Attended Thomas Jefferson (Years in League)

Harry Boykoff (2)
Leroy Ellis (14)
Jack Garfinkel (3)
Sidney Green (10)
Tony Jackson (2)
Jim McMillian (9)
Boris Nachamkin (1)
Phil Sellers (1)
Sid Tannenbaum (2)
Max Zaslofsky (10)

9e7ad18245554cd191f4489961c857c9.jpg

I'm going to count these down over 2 weeks.

Lets see how good you are! Who do you think is #1?

Dunbar High School (Baltimore, Md.) — 9 players

NBA Players Who Attended Dunbar (Years in League)

Muggsy Bogues (14)
Keith Booth (2)
Sam Cassell (15)
Terry Dozier (1)
Kurk Lee (1)
Reggie Lewis (6)
Reggie Williams (10)
David Wingate (15)
Skip Wise (1)

bdcd1311e9fd481883031e569f13a473.jpg

In the early 1980s, the team had four future pros, including Reggie Lewis and Muggsy Bogues. Over a two-year stretch, the Dunbar Poets went undefeated, won two state championships and one national championship. This era of Dunbar basketball was depicted in the ESPN film "Baltimore Boys."

#10 Thomas Jefferson High School (New York City, N.Y.) — 10 players

NBA Players Who Attended Thomas Jefferson (Years in League)

Harry Boykoff (2)
Leroy Ellis (14)
Jack Garfinkel (3)
Sidney Green (10)
Tony Jackson (2)
Jim McMillian (9)
Boris Nachamkin (1)
Phil Sellers (1)
Sid Tannenbaum (2)
Max Zaslofsky (10)

9e7ad18245554cd191f4489961c857c9.jpg

Jefferson High is located in Brooklyn and once was one of the preeminent schools for successful individuals in all sectors of life, not only for athletes.

Few schools can say they produced a heavyweight champion (Riddick Bowe), a Golden Globe and Emmy winner (Jimmy Smits) and the chairman of Goldman Sachs (Lloyd Blankfein).

The NBA players from the school mostly played in the early days of the league, including Max Zaslofsky, the NBA's scoring champion in its second season in 1947-48.

Jefferson High lasted for 85 years until it was shut down in 2007 due to low graduation rates.

Last edited:
Arch Bishop Malloy should pop up on the list.
I’m guessing either Dematha wIth Morgan Wooten or Oak Hill with Steve Smith as #1. I give the nod to Oak Hill.

#9(tie): Proviso East High School (Maywood, Ill.) — 12 players

bf7058abd95e41a2a97cf9d70013b789.jpg

Only New York City has produced more NBA players than Chicago, and Proviso East is located in a suburb of the Windy City. The sheer number of students has lent itself to many opportunities for notable athletes to emerge as the school had an enrollment of 4,000 in the 1970s.

That time period is when Doc Rivers was a Proviso East Pirate, and he coached another alum of the school, Michael Finley. A two-time NBA All-Star, Finley brought Proviso East a state championship in 1991 and played for Rivers on the Boston Celtics nearly two decades later.

NBA Players Who Attended Proviso East (Years in League)

Donnie Boyce (2)
Jim Brewer (9)
Dee Brown (2)
Shannon Brown (9)
Sterling Brown (2)
Jevon Carter (1)
Michael Finley (15)
Sherell Ford (1)
Steven Hunter (8)
Reggie Jordan (6)
Jacob Pullen (1)
Doc Rivers (13)

Flint Hill make the list? They were the powerhouse around DC when I grew up. They beat us one year 83-11....at halftime. JV came out after halftime. George Lynch, randolph Childress, cory alexander, aaron bain, serge zwikker was the starting lineup. (i think) and had a pile of studs on the bench. Dennis Scott played there as well but the previous year i think. They had like a 10 year run where they were battling it out with Dematha and Mater Dei for best team in the country.

Votes:
Oak Hill - 3
IMG - 1
Dematha - 2
Flint Hill -1

Last edited:
Dematha is/should be number 1. I was just wondering if flint hill made the list.

What determines an NBA career? A few games or an entire season.

I looked of Jevon Carter who attended Proviso East he actually played in a total of 89 games over 2 seasons. That is basically the equivalent of 1 season in the NBA. He is listed in the study as playing one year in NBA.

Considering that there are thousands of good players that never make it to the NBA, even getting a cup of coffee there is an accomplishment.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3133635/jevon-carter

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Considering that there are thousands of good players that never make it to the NBA, even getting a cup of coffee there is an accomplishment.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3133635/jevon-carter
I agree, which would include Mt Vernon(NY) to the list with Dunbar.
9 total
1. Ben Gordon
2. Rudy Hackett
3. Rodney McCray
4. Scooter McCray
5. Ray Williams
6. Gus Williams
7. Earl Tatum
8. Lowes Moore
9. Kevin Jones---played less than 10 games but still played.

I agree, which would include Mt Vernon(NY) to the list with Dunbar.
9 total
1. Ben Gordon
2. Rudy Hackett
3. Rodney McCray
4. Scooter McCray
5. Ray Williams
6. Gus Williams
7. Earl Tatum
8. Lowes Moore
9. Kevin Jones---played less than 10 games but still played.

Here of the players that StadiumTalk listed for Mount Vernon. They listed them as tied for 17th. For the purpose of reducing this posting process on Radar more quickly, I started with #11. There are several schools tied at 9 players. Kelvin Jones is on the list.

#17(t): Mount Vernon High School (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) — 9 players

8e6973a313204cb3b11b4aa25e92b749.jpg

NBA Players Who Attended Mount Vernon (Years in League)

Ben Gordon (11)
Rudy Hackett (2)
Kevin Jones (1)
Rodney McCray (10)
Scooter McCray (3)
Lowes Moore (3)
Earl Tatum (4)
Gus Williams (11)
Ray Williams (10)

#9(t): Overbrook High School (Philadelphia, Pa.) — 12 players

188a11df0c5c4324ade33b3ea722afa5.jpg

Overbrook High School basketball player Wilt Chamberlain in 1955.AP Photo

The legend of Wilt Chamberlain began at Overbrook High, where he won two city championships and set Pennsylvania’s all-time high school scoring record.

It was also in high school where the Stilt first attracted the attention of the NBA as Red Auerbach tried to persuade Chamberlain to go to a college near Boston so the Celtics could draft him as a territorial pick.

None of the 11 other players to attend Overbrook had anything close to the hype that Chamberlain generated.

While they were all serviceable players, they combined to make just one NBA All-Star Game. That came courtesy of Walt Hazzard, who was an All-Star in 1968, the same year another future Overbook High alum was born, actor Will Smith.

NBA Players Who Attended Overbrook (Years in League)

Wilt Chamberlain (14)
Mike Gale (11)
Walt Hazzard (10)
Wayne Hightower (10)
Wali Jones (11)
Rich Laurel (1)
Hal Lear (1)
Lewis Lloyd (7)
Andre McCarter (3)
Jackie Moore (3)
Angelo Musi (3)
Malik Rose (13)

#9(t): Henderson International School (Henderson, Nev.) — 12 players
4d1b70cf96094be7a3940624a4404dd4.JPG

The Findlay Prep basketball team after beating Oak Hill to win the 2018 Iolani Classic.

Findlay Prep is the name of the basketball program that operates out of Henderson International School, but many contend it’s more of an AAU program than a school.

The 12 basketball players on the team comprise the entire enrollment of Henderson, and they barnstorm the country to play a national schedule, leaving academics as almost an afterthought.

The NCAA caught wind of this "school" and labeled Findlay Prep as "non-scholastic," which means college coaches can’t conduct in-person recruiting.

But the school still has no problem attracting top talent. Currently, nine players from Findlay are in the NBA, including Tristan Thompson and Avery Bradley.

And many other Findlay alums play in the G-League or abroad, such as former No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett.

NBA Players Who Attended Henderson International (Years in League)

Anthony Bennett (4)
Avery Bradley (9)
Dillon Brooks (2)
Jorge Gutierrez (3)
Nick Johnson (1)
Cory Joseph (8)
DeAndre Liggins (5)
Kelly Oubre (4)
Tristan Thompson (8)
Allonzo Trier (1)
Rashad Vaughn (3)
Christian Wood (3)

A while back, DeMatha would have been the odds-on choice, I think. But several schools may have caught up.

Then again, this isn't an aspect of basketball I follow so I could be way off. I'm just going on the number of times I've heard them mentioned over the years.

There's another school in that region (I'm blocking on the name, Bishop Carroll maybe?) that was also top tier.

Oak Hill more recently.

And now we have things like IMG and Montverde, but I'm not sure how long they've been around.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
A while back, DeMatha would have been the odds-on choice, I think. But several schools may have caught up.

Then again, this isn't an aspect of basketball I follow so I could be way off. I'm just going on the number of times I've heard them mentioned over the years.

There's another school in that region (I'm blocking on the name, Bishop Carroll maybe?) that was also top tier.

Oak Hill more recently.

And now we have things like IMG and Montverde, but I'm not sure how long they've been around.

Can't you just give me one name please? :)

#6(t): Laurinburg Institute (Laurinburg, N.C.) — 13 players
407bdb085e474be5952e311de32882ef.jpg

Laurinburg Institute has a history of basketball excellence.
Just like Hargrave, Laurinburg Institute is another school outside of Charlotte that accepts post-graduates. Basketball is the only sport offered at the school, so all of the athletic resources are devoted to their hoops program which won a national title in 2005 after defeating Hargrave.

None of the 13 alums from Laurinburg are currently in the NBA, but two of the 13 alums are in the Pro Basketball Hall of Fame. Ten-time NBA champion Sam Jones and five-time All-Star Charlie Scott have been enshrined in Springfield, Mass.

Votes:
Oak Hill - 4
Dematha - 2
IMG - 1

#5(t): Hargrave Military Academy (Chatham, Va.) — 14 players
07f60e5d4b87424580b9d48fe79b971e.jpg

The Hargrave basketball team before the start of the 2018 First Piedmont Corp Invitational championship game.

Hargrave is a private boarding school that’s about a two-hour drive from Charlotte. The school is known for its military program (which is similar to the Army’s) and for producing world-class athletes in multiple sports.

All of the school’s NBA players come from the post-graduate program, which has featured the likes of David West and Josh Howard.

NBA Players Who Attended Hargrave Military Academy (Years in League)

Joe Alexander (2)
Lonny Baxter (4)
Sharrod Ford (1)
Donte Grantham (1)
P.J. Hairston (2)
Montrezl Harrell (4)
Josh Howard (10)
Vernon Macklin (1)
Terry Rozier (4)
Marreese Speights (10)
James Thomas (2)
James White (3)
Korleone Young (1)
Sam Young (4)

Well, these are not high schools like in my day for sure! More like basketball meat markets with transfers across state lines and from far away as well with the express goal of playing in the NBA. Oh I remember the good old days. We did have one guy that played in college and actually got a scholarship. Sadly, not me.

I went to St Johns in DC Catholic league.... We played Dematha every year and still do. Saw a huge number of games and many Great players, all led by the late great one and only Morgan Wooten. Gonna go with the Stags

Votes:
Oak Hill - 4
Dematha - 2
IMG - 1

#5(t): Hargrave Military Academy (Chatham, Va.) — 14 players
07f60e5d4b87424580b9d48fe79b971e.jpg

The Hargrave basketball team before the start of the 2018 First Piedmont Corp Invitational championship game.

Hargrave is a private boarding school that’s about a two-hour drive from Charlotte. The school is known for its military program (which is similar to the Army’s) and for producing world-class athletes in multiple sports.

All of the school’s NBA players come from the post-graduate program, which has featured the likes of David West and Josh Howard.

NBA Players Who Attended Hargrave Military Academy (Years in League)

Joe Alexander (2)
Lonny Baxter (4)
Sharrod Ford (1)
Donte Grantham (1)
P.J. Hairston (2)
Montrezl Harrell (4)
Josh Howard (10)
Vernon Macklin (1)
Terry Rozier (4)
Marreese Speights (10)
James Thomas (2)
James White (3)
Korleone Young (1)
Sam Young (4)
PJ!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
#5(t): Brewster Academy (Wolfeboro, N.H.) — 14 players
e486485c13444155b04f386d284e5f63.jpg

Brewster Academy's Joel Brown (3) against Westtown School during a 2019 high school basketball game in the Bronx, N.Y.Gregory Payan

Of the 28 players who have made their way from a New Hampshire high school to the NBA, half of them passed through the expensive halls of Brewster Academy.

The boarding school’s tuition is over $60,000, making it the most expensive school in the state and one of the most expensive in the country.

The world-class facilities at Brewster are one of the biggest drawing points for prospective students and include a 50,000-square-foot athletics center, indoor and outdoor turf fields, a boathouse, a rowing tank and a climbing wall.

Seven active NBA players once hooped at Brewster, including Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell.

NBA Players Who Attended Brewster Academy (Years in League)

Jeff Adrien (5)
Will Barton (7)
Jonah Bolden (1)
Craig Brackins (2)
Semaj Christon (1)
Marcus Derrickson (1)
Devonte' Graham (1)
Mitch McGary (2)
Donovan Mitchell (2)
Thomas Robinson (5)
JaKarr Sampson (3)
Xavier Silas (2)