ADVERTISEMENT

Uh, Mr. Longo ...

Aug 12, 2004
I've consulted the rules and determined that it's entirely permissible to attempt vertical passes in the first half. Perhaps you could give this some consideration.

Oh, and that dive play in the first half with Sam under center on fourth down was just brilliant! (sarcasm intended)

Longo leaves a lot to be desired. I think we saw some of that with Mack’s clear frustration with some of the calls in 2nd half when he chewed Longo out. Some games he has good rhythm and tempo on play calls and then others you wonder what the hell he is doing. Need some consistency. We run the ball well then stop doing it. We have success throwing the ball up the field then stop doing it. Quite aggravating with the weapons we have.
All that to say we lost the game when we didn’t take the chip shot field goal early in 3rd quarter and then the 3 drops in that last possession were shameful by those 3
Players.

Longo had a very large number of Ole Miss fans who were less than happy with him as OC for all the reasons that can be discussed here about his time at UNC.

Last year, we had a whole bunch of dropped passes by WRs. This year Longo seems to want to avoid that by not passing deep to the WRs and almost never looking at the TE as a receiver.

As much as I am not sold on Longo, I have more confidence in him as OC than I have in Searels as OL coach.

Longo had a very large number of Ole Miss fans who were less than happy with him as OC for all the reasons that can be discussed here about his time at UNC.

Last year, we had a whole bunch of dropped passes by WRs. This year Longo seems to want to avoid that by not passing deep to the WRs and almost never looking at the TE as a receiver.

As much as I am not sold on Longo, I have more confidence in him as OC than I have in Searels as OL coach.

Longo isn’t playing QB, Sam is. Like Longo has stated multiple times; you take what the defense is giving you. Look at week 1 —Cuse played two deep safeties and Sam wanted the deep ball and kept throwing into double coverage. You can put a lot of blame on Longo but saying he doesn’t want the deep ball is idiotic.

Longo isn’t playing QB, Sam is. Like Longo has stated multiple times; you take what the defense is giving you. Look at week 1 —Cuse played two deep safeties and Sam wanted the deep ball and kept throwing into double coverage. You can put a lot of blame on Longo but saying he doesn’t want the deep ball is idiotic.
Throwing the ball deep requires sound, sustained pass blocking, not the kind of blocking on passes that end up going deep because a RunPassOption play ends up being a long throw. But the kind of blocking required on pass plays designed to go deep.

Longo himself has acknowledged that this OL indeed has that problem. When your OL's strength is being over 300 pound road graters, and its obvious weaknesses are in playing smartly as a unit and in pass protection of deep balls, which plays take longer to develop, then you are going to feel a need to call more pass plays that are shorter routes; keep the TE blocking as much as possible, which renders him a nonentity as a receiver most of the time; pass more to RBs than you would otherwise. And your QB is going to feel the itch to press the ball deep many times.

OL issues are central to all issues on this offense.

Throwing the ball deep requires sound, sustained pass blocking, not the kind of blocking on passes that end up going deep because a RunPassOption play ends up being a long throw. But the kind of blocking required on pass plays designed to go deep.

Longo himself has acknowledged that this OL indeed has that problem. When your OL's strength is being over 300 pound road graters, and its obvious weaknesses are in playing smartly as a unit and in pass protection of deep balls, which plays take longer to develop, then you are going to feel a need to call more pass plays that are shorter routes; keep the TE blocking as much as possible, which renders him a nonentity as a receiver most of the time; pass more to RBs than you would otherwise. And your QB is going to feel the itch to press the ball deep many times.

None of what you just said implies he doesn't want the long ball. He's stated numerous times, and it's not hard to see if you're watching the games, that he wants to take what the defense is giving them. Entire offensive line are underclassmen and will get better with more experience. Again, this is year TWO with the staff, 17 games in. I know we all want all ACC guys at every position but let's give the kids a little time to mature and grow.

The comments related to the offensive line are all true, but it cannot be denied that Longo had a horrible gameplan coming in. He seems to be late in making adjustments. Takes him to halftime instead of in half adjustments. We have a ton of weapons, but our #1 weapon is Sam.

And who's our OL coach again? Wink.
None of what you just said implies he doesn't want the long ball. He's stated numerous times, and it's not hard to see if you're watching the games, that he wants to take what the defense is giving them. Entire offensive line are underclassmen and will get better with more experience. Again, this is year TWO with the staff, 17 games in. I know we all want all ACC guys at every position but let's give the kids a little time to mature and grow.
Indeed. We are making steady progress, despite many injury issues, but we are very much a work in progress. There is an awful lot of season left, starting with a confident NVSU team next.

ADVERTISEMENT