ADVERTISEMENT

UMD coach to return...

Weird decision. It would make sense if he was a great coach, but he's not very good. Why deal with the backlash for a coach you're going to fire in 2-3 years?

Weird decision. It would make sense if he was a great coach, but he's not very good. Why deal with the backlash for a coach you're going to fire in 2-3 years?
Think I heard on the radio they were gonna he to fire him without cause which meant he would be owed his full contract amount.

How could it possibly be termination without cause? That makes no sense. This is a surprise decision, one that could have negative repercussions in recruiting.

Think I heard on the radio they were gonna he to fire him without cause which meant he would be owed his full contract amount.
That makes no sense. Of course I don't think anyone has ever accused the MD athletic department of having any sense.

That's kind of a weak argument. Especially when it comes to money. It fails to mention that donors could help with the relatively small buyout and one of those donors is the extremely rich Under Armour guy. The morale in that locker room and the fan support has to be horrible right now. It wouldn't surprise me if they lost their remaining games.

As an aside this can open up some recruiting possibilities for Carolina...of course WHO will be our coach remains to be seen. DJ is really getting ripped everywhere here in DC and the media is asking WHY and WHO would send their kid to MD. If I were the Carolina head coach yeah I Know who is that??? I would be stalking the DMV even more so now that MD is seen as a disaster

Man this is NOT gonna go down well here in DC. Media just ripping the
Bd of regents. I am shocked this guy is coming back. Never again will I pay any attention to anything from the MD program

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...oard-recommends-keeping-dj-durkin-damon-evans
Why did you ever pay any attention to anything from Maryland?

I haven't looked at this case closely. I have to assume that if they made that decision, they were told by their legal team that firing Durkin would cost them a pretty penny in his lawsuit.

That makes no sense. Of course I don't think anyone has ever accused the MD athletic department of having any sense.
In fiscal terms, it is the least competent athletics department among Major colleges over the past 30 years.

Durkin was the Florida DC for 2 years and the Michigan DC for 1 year, and then he was named Maryland HC. With precious few exceptions all time, that is not enough top level experience before taking over a P5 program.

I haven't looked at this case closely. I have to assume that if they made that decision, they were told by their legal team that firing Durkin would cost them a pretty penny in his lawsuit.
Even if they fired him without cause he would have only been owed a little over $5 million. That's actually cheaper than keeping him, because the terms are 65% of his base pay. Assuming they keep him through the end of his current contract they will pay him almost $8 million. There was really no logical reason to keep him.

The decision to keep him was obviously all about money. I just don't know how they move on now in terms of recruiting. What parent will think Maryland is a great environment for their child?

Whoever the university is using for PR should also be fired. Anyone who could not predict the potential backlash from the decision to reinstate Durkin is clueless and inept.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT