ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Football Notes

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
I've put variations of these notes in some difference threads over the last week, but a few people have suggested I give it it's own thread so more people might see it, so here is a collection of notes I've been posting over the last week.

*Thomas Jackson has been doing about 75-80 percent of the drills for a while now and expects to be at 100 percent when camp opens.

*Brandon Fritts (had an extensive conversation with him) is coming along really well and his mission is to get back for a few games. He hopes the games are with the team fighting for a division title, but he also wants to show the NFL he's fine.

*Antwuan Branch is back at full strength and had a good spring that got better with each practice. Keep an eye on him when August camp begins.

*Michael Carter has put on about 8-10 pounds and feels a lot more powerful.

*Tyler Powell looks the best he has since he arrived. He got his redshirt and is back on campus working out and taking classes. He has been working the camps each day I have been there.

*Tomon Fox looks bigger than before by quite a bit. Honestly, he looks scary.

*Nolan DeFranco, who was moved inside during the spring, has bulked up some. He was listed at 245 a year ago, but looks more like 265-270 now. Maybe more.

*Chatted with Jason Strowbridge the other day. He's been on a mission to gain weight after moving inside, and while he said he doesn't know his exact weight because he hadn't weighed himself in I saw several days, he said the pounds are coming on.

*Chazz Surratt is huge. I mean he's huge, looks like a linebacker or tight end. I will post a photo I took of him last week after finishing these notes. I also watched Chazz throw the other day and he does look different. Looked like more of a snap in his release. If I recall, his release was a tad slow at times last season, so that may have been one of the mechanical things he worked on with QB guru George Whitfield during spring break.

*I finally saw Nathan Elliott at camp Monday for the first time. He's a thick guy because it's just his natural build, but he did look a tad leaner.

*William Sweet walked by me twice over the last week. I noticed no limp and he wasn't wearing anything on his knee. Not much to get from seeing him walk, but I did ask how he was coming along and he replied, "Great, really great."

*Anthony Ratliff-Williams was at camp every day I was and got involved with some teaching. It was cool to see because he's such a positive young man who is always smiling. I bet the kids really enjoyed being around him.

*I spent about five minutes talking with Jeff Schoettmer, who is in a grad role on the staff now. He cut his hair (photo below), which has to bother @Bruce Young (lol), but he had to in order to get the job. He called Papuchis last November when it was clear his NFL career was over and JP told him he had to cut his hair if he was going to work in the program. Schoettmer laughed and said he was going to do so anyway. He's doing well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.