11/7 - dook

11/14 - Miami

11/21 - at Virginia Tech

11/28 - at NC State

7 home games, 4 road games, 1 neutral site game

Originally posted by ACokeForRoy:
Does 10-2 sound ridiculous?
Yes.

Last season should have taught us nothing is guaranteed. We trailed Liberty in the 3rd quarter and needed a game-saving INT to beat San Diego State. The wins over Pitt and GT came on last-minute drives. The go-ahead touchdown against UVA was a 3th-and-15 miracle from a backup QB who had played 0 snaps in that game, and we might still have lost if not for the ballsy onside kick and recovery. dook was the only team we handled last season.

South Carolina had a down year but won't be an easy win. We haven't beaten Georgia Tech in Atlanta since 1997. It's tough for anyone to win in Blacksburgh. Miami has great talent and NC State is always a toss-up.

I'm predicting 8-4 plus or minus one win depending on injuries or bad breaks.

7-6 with the 7th win coming in a pre-Christmas day bowl game.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

Originally posted by SeaHawk98:

Well, by the looks of our OOC schedule, UNC should start off 3-1, so in order tofacilitate the early season failures under Fedora, the ACC will start us out on theroad at GT.

Honestly, the schedule looks really weak next year. Absolute zero excuse forwinning less than 9 games. Of course that being said, UNC will got 7-5.
Good call SeaHawk and I share a similar vision of our first ACC opponent. With our relativelyeasy OOC and the fact that we have three home games in a row, I fully expect one of threegames to be our first ACC game:

- @ Georgia Tech
- @ Virginia Tech
- @ NC State
[/QUOTE]We called it in my prediction thread......God I hate playing GT first. The rest of the schedule doesn't look too bad though. But yes I agree, 7-6 with a Belk Bowl win. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I see 5 that I think are definite losses for us. Then I see 2 that are toss-ups probably due to my homerism. I think 7 losses and no bowl is a possibility.

Originally posted by UNC '92:
I see 5 that I think are definite losses for us. Then I see 2 that are toss-ups probably due to my homerism. I think 7 losses and no bowl is a possibility.
If the last few years have taught us anything, it's the fact that our preseason expectations have definitely been tempered by results on the field!

As the eternal optimist, I'm hoping that the team can somehow or someway beat S.C. in the opener, which could boost morale to the point that we go into that first conference game in the "ATL" with a lot of motivation....As mentioned above, trips to Atlanta the past several years have been a disaster, and this season has the makings of the same...

Right now, I want to believe that this team will improve to the point that they finish 9-3 this year, but the realist in me has me thinking like others that this team could just as easily finish 7-6 or even 6-7 this season....Afterall, that seems to be the pattern the last seveal years!

The SCar game will be telling and set the mood for the whole season (thank you Captain Obvious
wink.r191677.gif
).

If we win that, 9-3 or even 10-2 is in the cards (probably drop a random one at home, and one or two of @GT, @Pitt, and @VT).

If we lose that one, we will once again be fighting an uphill battle for bowl eligibility. I think I'm going to drill into my mind a 4-8 season, so that for once I won't be disappointed with what we end up at (did I just put the jinx on for a 3-9 season?)

Originally posted by Hark_The_Sound_2010:
The SCar game will be telling and set the mood for the whole season (thank you Captain Obvious
wink.r191677.gif
).

If we win that, 9-3 or even 10-2 is in the cards (probably drop a random one at home, and one or two of @GT, @Pitt, and @VT).

If we lose that one, we will once again be fighting an uphill battle for bowl eligibility. I think I'm going to drill into my mind a 4-8 season, so that for once I won't be disappointed with what we end up at (did I just put the jinx on for a 3-9 season?)
I pretty much agree with your 4-8 or 5-7 expectation, and that makes me sad.

Compare expectations now to expectations before last season.............pretty telling.

Compare expectations now to expectations before last season.............pretty telling.
Yet, we've got people talking about how Fed's seat simply cannot be hot. That goes against logic and conventional wisdom.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
Originally posted by UNC71-00:
True. Why would any of us think any different?
1) One more home game, one less road game than last season. UNC was 4-2 at home, 2-4 on the road, 0-1 neutral site last season.

2) Last year's OOC schedule included four teams that qualified for post-season play. This season's OOC schedule includes only two teams that qualified for post-season play (South Carolina and Illinois) and they went .500 combined.

3) Atlantic crossover game last year was Clemson (10-3). This season it's Wake Forest (3-9).

4) National defensive rankings with Chizik as DC: 22, 10 (Texas); 5, 5, 26 (Auburn); 16, 28, 60, 26 (Central Florida); 22, 23 (Stephen F. Austin [FCS]).

5) Ten returning starters on offense.

6) End of scholarship restrictions, which will allow UNC to have a full roster complement of 85 players and 25 new signees.

This post was edited on 1/29 10:50 AM by Raising Heel

Yet, we've got people talking about how Fed's seat simply cannot be hot. That goes against logic and conventional wisdom.
I predicted a 7-win season last year, and explained to those thinking we'd get 9 or 10 wins why that wasn't going to happen. Same with the media who picked UNC to win the Coastal.

UNC's record will be better this year, barring absolute disaster.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

UNC's record will be better this year, barring the continuance of the 3 year trend which has Fedora's current year being worse than his previous one.
FIFY

1) One more home game, one less road game than last season. UNC was 4-2 at home, 2-4 on the road, 0-1 neutral site last season.
Take out the Liberty and SDSU games for a better indicator. And the last time I saw the Heels playing in Kenan, we were the recipients of an epic beatdown. Soooo...

2) Last year's OOC schedule included four teams that qualified for post-season play. This season's OOC schedule includes only two teams that qualified for post-season play (South Carolina and Illinois) and they went .500 combined.
Well we were sub .500. So it's still tough competition to us.

3) Atlantic crossover game last year was Clemson (10-3). This season it's Wake Forest (3-9).
Oh cool, another OOC game.
wink.r191677.gif

4) National defensive rankings with Chizik as DC: 22, 10 (Texas); 5, 5, 26 (Auburn); 16, 28, 60, 26 (Central Florida); 22, 23 (Stephen F. Austin [FCS]).
I feel bad for Chizik. He was once known as a good defensive coach. After next year, that dude will never get another head coaching opportunity. It's more likely that we turn him into sh*t than him turning us into a good defense.

5) Ten returning starters on offense.
That's a good thing?

6) End of scholarship restrictions, which will allow UNC to have a full roster complement of 85 players and 25 new signees.
Oh, are you saying the alarm clock just rang in the bedroom of the sleeping giant?
laugh.r191677.gif

I'm sorry. But there's little reason to be optimistic about UNC football. Once we have a string of successful seasons, then maybe I'll change my ways.

Take out the Liberty and SDSU games for a better indicator. And the last time I saw the Heels playing in Kenan, we were the recipients of an epic beatdown. Soooo...
Why would we take out Liberty and SDSU? Because they're perceived as less competitive? Then by that logic we should remove Clemson and Notre Dame from the away record since they're perceived as more competitive.

Well we were sub .500. So it's still tough competition to us.
Think I've already been clear that we don't have the luxury of overlooking anyone. That doesn't change the fact that NC A&T and Delaware are demonstrably less competitive than Liberty and San Diego State.

Oh cool, another OOC game.
wink.r191677.gif
So no argument that UNC stands a much better chance for a W here? Okay.

I feel bad for Chizik. He was once known as a good defensive coach. After next year, that dude will never get another head coaching opportunity. It's more likely that we turn him into sh*t than him turning us into a good defense.
Based on what? This isn't even rational. Do better.

Oh, are you saying the alarm clock just rang in the bedroom of the sleeping giant?
Where did you get that? Again, this isn't even rational. All things being equal, no reasonable person would prefer a roster with less than 70 scholarship-recruited players to a roster with 85 scholarship-recruited players.

I'm sorry. But there's little reason to be optimistic about UNC football. Once we have a string of successful seasons, then maybe I'll change my ways.
I certainly understand people who are reserved in their optimism for UNC football. But you always seem to take it a step further. It's like you get perverse enjoyment from trashing the program, the coaches, the uniforms, etc. whenever you get a chance. Sorry they haven't lived up to your expectations. Maybe you should take the year off or something.

Just eyeballing that schedule and I'm thinking 9-3 should be a no-brainer, as we don't play Clemson, FSU or ND. Not sure how we worked that one out. Defense should be better, OL will be better, Special Teams should be better and we have a ton of talent at skill positions. Maybe we could do better than 9-3
clown.r191677.gif

Reality check . . . new DC with new system. Have no reason to believe we will be better with time of possession (show me its about winning not number of offensive plays run each game). Probably back to a one man offense . . . who needs a stinking team/offensive unit?

Anticipate 6-6 or 7-5
chairshot.r191677.gif
with that weak schedule.

Why would we take out Liberty and SDSU? Because they're perceived as less competitive? Then by that logic we should remove Clemson and Notre Dame from the away record since they're perceived as more competitive.
I don't think anyone wants to measure UNC football against the likes of Liberty and SDSU. We do however want to measure ourselves against the Clemsons and the Notre Dames of college football.

So no argument that UNC stands a much better chance for a W here? Okay.
Nope. No argument there. It was really just a joke relating to my comments in the thread about playing WFU in an OOC series.

Based on what? This isn't even rational. Do better.
UNC football has the ick. It's contagious. But again, it was just a little humor...self deprecating humor is my milieu. You seem a tad touchy about this but I'll get back to that after a few more smartass comments.

Where did you get that? Again, this isn't even rational. All things being equal, no reasonable person would prefer a roster with less than 70 scholarship-recruited players to a roster with 85 scholarship-recruited players.
Of course they would. But I've seen UNC football with 85 scholarship players and it looked a whole lot like UNC football with 70 players.

I certainly understand people who are reserved in their optimism for UNC football. But you always seem to take it a step further. It's like you get perverse enjoyment from trashing the program, the coaches, the uniforms, etc. whenever you get a chance. Sorry they haven't lived up to your expectations. Maybe you should take the year off or something.
How do I take it a step further? There are people on this board with elaborate conspiracy theories about "basketball onlies" and how boosters want the football program to fail. There are posters here that constantly rail against gameday atmosphere and talking about how our fans suck. Some go as far as to say we're the worst fanbase in the ACC but I'm the one that takes it a step further? Good god...

Trashing the program? Wow. That's hardly how I would characterize my comments. Pessimistic? Sure. Critical? Yep. Trashing the program? Not so much. If my often snarky comments are interpreted by you as "trashing the program", maybe you're the one that needs to lighten up. The coaches have been lackluster. I'm simply opining on that. The uniforms are controversial. I dislike them very much. So does Woad. So does 71. So do a lot of posters. Those posters I'm talking about have also been far more critical of Fedora and other coaches than I ever have. Are they trashing the program? I just need some clarification on what constitutes trashing the program and what is just sounding off on a message board. As far as UNC football not living up to my expectations - no, they haven't. So what have I done? I've lowered expectations. And because I've done so, I've apparently rubbed you wrong to the point where I'm now "trashing the program".

I doubt I'll take a year off. I gotta be me. But look at it this way, with me continuing to post, you can help bring me along in my posting style to where one day my comments may not appear as if they're trashing the program.

Trashing the program?
Maybe "trashing" is a bit harsh, but "badmouthing" might be in play. Let me put it this way: when was the last time you said something complimentary of the football program?

Good lord. I just realized I'm talking to my wife.

Trashing the program?
Maybe "trashing" is a bit harsh, but "badmouthing" might be in play. Let me put it this way: when was the last time you said something complimentary of the football program?

Good lord. I just realized I'm talking to my wife.
Probably after the duke win. Has there been a lot of positives since then?

What has happened to us? I feel like you don't get me anymore. Remember when we were younger? The passion we both had for message boards was what brought us so close. Maybe I need to re-evaluate our relationship. And maybe a night on the sofa would help you realize what you've got, mister.

Would it kill you, just once, to say "good point"? Or "I disagree, but I respect your opinion"? I just don't feel like you want to know me, know me.

Anyway, back to the schedule. One thing I hate and one thing I love.

I hate that we have a bye week after Georgia Tech. If we lose that game -- and I don't like the odds -- we start ACC play at 0-1 for the umpteenth year in a row, and it gives fans an extra week to stew about what could have been. That "what if" becomes even worse if we start 3-1 or heaven forbid 4-0.

The thing that I love is that we don't play on Halloween. That means no having to decide between going to the game or going to a Halloween party. Because Saturday night Halloween parties on the day of are pretty damned awesome.

I'd say 8 wins should be a safe prediction, and it could easily swing 2 games in either direction. Couldn't ask for a better time to play USuCk, maybe a win week 1 can jump start a long streak.

I think playing Va Tech and Miami later in the season will be helpful. This gives Chizik more time to implement his defense and get things headed in the right direction.

I'm gonna go with 10 wins, and coastal champs. Boom.

same players on D...7--wins/even with the Chizik hire...the D will improve...but struggle
This post was edited on 1/29 10:14 PM by 2for3

By the way, this is impossible. NC A&T and Delaware are both FCS schools, so we can only count one of those (presumed) wins towards bowl eligibility. UNC will have to pick up 7 wins during the regular season to qualify for a bowl this year. That also means we'll need to go at least 5-5 against the rest of our schedule.

Delaware and NC A&T? For real?

I was hoping to see Louisville or Syracuse on the schedule this season.

Originally posted by The Sharkster:

Delaware and NC A&T? For real?

I was hoping to see Louisville or Syracuse on the schedule this season.
Maybe those 2 teams will be a non-conference option in the future?

By the way, this is impossible. NC A&T and Delaware are both FCS schools, so we can only count one of those (presumed) wins towards bowl eligibility. UNC will have to pick up 7 wins during the regular season to qualify for a bowl this year. That also means we'll need to go at least 5-5 against the rest of our schedule.
Ok fine. 7-6 with a loss to ECU in a pre-Christmas day bowl game (Let's go with the Idaho Spud Bowl)

Ok fine. 7-6 with a loss to ECU in a pre-Christmas day bowl game (Let's go with the Idaho Spud Bowl)
. . . but EZU will probably get a better bowl offer than that!
laugh.r191677.gif

Blame Tennessee and Minnesota for us having Delaware and A&T on the schedule this year.

Just saying. You can schedule 'em, but you can't force 'em to play you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT