ADVERTISEMENT

UNC in Gainesville Regional (playing Long Beach State Friday at 1:00 pm)

adampowell

Hall of Famer
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina learned its postseason fate Monday afternoon, as the Diamond Heels earned the school's 13th consecutive berth in the NCAA baseball tournament going back to the 2002 season, and its 16th trip to the Big Dance in the past 17 seasons going back to 1998.

The Diamond Heels are used to playing in Chapel Hill's Boshamer Stadium this time of year, but any trip to Omaha this spring will have to come on the road.

The Tar Heels, 34-25 overall, will play out of the Gainesville Region, with possible opponents including host Florida and fellow regional entries College of Charleston and Long Beach State. UNC was one of the last teams to get into the 64-team field this year.

UNC in Gainesville Regional

Just wondering if anyone was planning on being at the game on Friday. If so is there a certain section going to be the Carolina section.

Interesting field and interesting pairings. In from the ACC: FSU (1 seed), Clemson (3 seed), UNC (3 seed), Miami (1 seed), GT (3 seed), UMd (2 seed), UVa (1 seed). 7 teams isn't too shabby and 3 of them are 1 seeds. Good chance for at least one to make the CWS, probably looking at at least 2 in Omaha, if I had to guess.

Oh, and who DIDN'T make the cut?

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

roll.r191677.gif

This was supposed to be a rebuilding year and our boys still made the post season, love watching the diamond Heels, and Coach Fox has done a tremendous job with these kids!! I hope we can shock some people and make it back to Omaha, really not counting on it, but you never know? GO HEELS!!!!

UNC could be very dangerous in the postseason if they can eliminate mistakes and catch a few lucky breaks. They haven't done that consistently during the regular season but crazy things happen this time of year. I'll be cheering them on either way.

Go Heels!

The good news is that we had a disappointing season and yet still made the field of 64.

Baseball is a funny sport. A team can look like inconsistent garbage for most of the year and manage to get into the post-season and then get hot for a spell. That could be good news.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
The Gainesville Regional, AKA The Raising Heel Household Civil War
LOL. My wife is a Gator but she doesn't follow baseball at all. She doesn't really follow basketball until late in the season, either. I'd love to play UF in either football or basketball though...the trash-talking would be hilarious. (I didn't know her when UNC and UF met in the 2000 Final Four.)

Now her dad is a different story. That guy loves all college sports, which is why we get along so well. He's working in Mississippi this week, otherwise I'd seriously consider making the road trip to Gainesville and inviting him to join me. There's no guarantee that UNC and UF will play each other but it would be a lot of fun. Plus I'd have a free place to stay and home-cooked meals.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Our pitching has been strong almost all year. If that can continue and we can manage to get a few key hits with men on base you never know what will happen.

GO HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ohio tarheels:

Our pitching has been strong almost all year. If that can continue and we can manage to get a few key hits with men on base you never know what will happen.

GO HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!
This times a million. Heels' batting average has been horrible with RISP this season.

wouldn't it be great if things started to finally click with this team. kind of like it did for Oregon State a few years ago when they got hot at the end and won it all. so you never know.

Would be nice to see an ACC team finally win it all. Hard to believe that the most recent was Wake in 1955. 58 years is a heckuva' drought for an conference with so many baseball powerhouses. Heels will need to throw strikes, play defense and get some timely hits to have a chance in Gainesville. Stranger things have happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT