ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Players with the Best Hang Time

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Watching the Seth Trimble video got me thinking about players with the best hang time. Here are some guys who impressed me over the years, in more-or-less chronological order.

Billy Cunningham
Bobby Lewis
James Worthy
Vince Carter
JP Tokoto
Theo Pinson

No point guard or that could be a pretty good squad.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some obvious players, so who've you got?

I'm thinking that Charlie Scott and Walter Davis may belong in this group, but my aged brain is having trouble bringing them into focus. What do you guys think?

Phil Ford?

I don't really think of him as a hang time guy, but he could float through the air pretty well on a drive.

Unless someone thinks of a better hang time PG, he's going to be the PG of my Hang Time Team.

And let's face it, any team will be pretty good with Ford at the helm.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Phil Ford?

I don't really think of him as a hang time guy, but he could float through the air pretty well on a drive.

Unless someone thinks of a better hang time PG, he's going to be the PG of my Hang Time Team.

And let's face it, any team will be pretty good with Ford at the helm.
of all the things I saw Phil Ford do, the one move that impressed me the most was when he once drove right to the front of the basket and in front of a defender, and jump-stopped into the most perfect aerial 360 you can imagine, coming back around to face square to the basket again and arcing the ball over the defender and cleanly through the hoop before touching back down. It was so perfect and almost artistic, it was like some choreographed ballet move. He didn't go that high but he was in the air for what seemed like a long time. As you say he looked like he was floating, or at least that's how it is fixed in my mind.

Not in those guys class at all, but I remember stocky little Ranzino Smith also surprised me with his lift and hang on his jumpers. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: jeans1515
Not much of a player, with very little playing time, but Orlando Melendez was ALL-AMERICAN level in the pre game lay up line 😉
I never did know what the story was with him. He had some gorgeous moves. Never seemed to take the game very seriously, though. Maybe that was part of it.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT