ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs CoC

DSouthr

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2002
Well, CoC is not a bunch of stiffs but I do see us winning this one going away, with our talent and depth. CoC plays a 3 guard look with two 6'8" guys in the front court, they are smallish in that the only guy they have on roster over 6'8" is a 7ft freshman. They want to slow down the pace, which seems odd for a team that will use a 3 guard look but we should totally own the inside game. Unlike last season, especially when went went to the bench for front court guys that forced us to help way to much and way to deep, we should be able to play more straight up. That should mean back court shooters do not get as many clean looks because they do not have to recover from so far out.

Bacot with a year of experience and for sure with Brooks, I expect us to be able to handle the high pick action much better than last season. Really love the notion that we bang on their 2 starting bigs with Brooks and Bacot and then bring in the very long Kessler combined with the extra physical Sharpe to go against those 2 already winded forwards! CoC is not going to be able to crash the boards for offensive rebounds else we be able to rebound/outlet/run/lay up finish so literally they are going to have to get red hot from 3 and that is going to be harder when our guards do not have to help defend as much as last season.

CoC should look to zone us and make us prove we can hit some outside shots but this is a very different UNC team than it was last season. They should look to force Leaky and Platek to hit shots from the outside and concern more with keeping Love and RJ in front of them (defend on their heels backing up rather than look so hard to challenge the jump shot). They (CoC) should look to do all they can to push our front court guys a bit further out from the basket but hey, good luck with that. I am thinking back door cuts for the oops will be there all night long. If we watch our spacing so guys have room to operate inside, this one should get easy quick.

Reactions: Archer2
Dave, the "Great One" gets the game thread going. Still sweating this out until game time.

Kick it inside and let the big men go to work.

Call me a pessimist, but I keep checking the wire for bad news.

I'm holding off signing up for the ACC network until 5:30 pm.

I am really interested to see how we handle the screens up top, fighting thru or switching? Roy's better teams have been undervalued on defense but defense has always seemed to lag behind offense in clicking. With covid limiting off season stuff, no opportunity for scrimmages and a pretty young team I am expecting some really BAD stretches. We should see early on what type of leadership Brooks is providing on the floor.

Reactions: DSouthr
Hope everybody has fair expectations for tonight because we all know Coach Williams will use this game to use and see as many combos as possible so execution will probably leave a lot to be desired.

I do not expect the team to even get close to biscuits tonight especially with so many changes of personal being used and with C of C probably holding the ball looking for a good shot. Also on defense C of C because of their lack of height will probably open up on a zone until Carolina’s young snipers can prove they can score from the outside.

If the Heels can hit some early threes then all bets are off because the inside game will then open up for the bigs but I do not see the shots falling early because the freshmen as expected will be all pumped up and a bit nervous forcing bad and off balanced shots.

Bottom line is the fans need to be patient as this young team grows and not be overly critical until the team gets a handful of games under its belt.

I realize not everybody has access to the ACC Network or do not live in the Carolinas where u can listen to the game on the radio so I will try my best to keep u up to date with up to the minute scores and action and stats as it is happening...

So you can grab, lean on, sweat on other players on the court but have to sit 6 feet away while on the bench. How much more dumb can people be?

Sharpe will be a starter by the first of the year. Enjoy him folks.

Platek 0-2 already off the bench. RJ is really quick!

RJ is not leaving the starting line-up. Harris will come off the bench. The guy so quick.

ADVERTISEMENT