ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs Duke 2021-22

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Assuming the rosters we see now don't change in any major way, how do you see these rivals matching up? By "don't change" I mean Bacot stays on the our team and Baldwin doesn't go to Duke. Either team might add a backup guy, but not a game-changer.

I see some terrific matchups and some big question marks. Both teams will be younger than last season. Duke looks like they'll have more on-paper talent.

Both Caleb and Roach struggled early but were looking better toward season's end. Until I see more, that looks like a tossup. We'll have the edge in the backup PG department with RJ vs Duke's freshman.

The Bacot matchup with Mark Williams should be fun to watch. I give Bacot the edge but Williams improved a lot in his first year.

I won't be surprised if 3 Duke freshmen are starting by the time we face them, although Moore should challenge them. I don't expect either of our freshmen to start. But we will have 1 or 2 new guys starting (definitely Manek and maybe McKoy). The bad news for us is that this freshman class for Duke looks more ready for college play than their last one. K tends to do pretty well with kids this good.

Last edited:
Duke looks like they'll have more on-paper talent.
That's been the story of the last 10 years. And we've faired pretty well. I think a lot of that had to do with how great a coach Roy is but I also think it has to do with how poor of a coach K is these days. duke's roster construction over the past decade has been bad. K completely sold out to the OAD model and it's without a doubt hurt the program and basically neutered him as a coach. He relies on trying to overwhelm the opponent with a super talented starting 5 and gives very little consideration to a bench. In addition, I think he's had to tone down his discipline tactics because these big name OADs aren't having it. So he's got guys doing their own thing instead of playing within a team concept. At best, he's become lazy. At worst, he's become scared.

All that to say that duke should have a pretty decent team this coming season. I honestly think they're probably better off if Baldwin doesn't commit. They can all say "team this" and "brotherhood that" but talented guys want the ball. Baldwin won't be happy playing second fiddle to Banchero. Griffin, Keels and Williams will want to shine too. If Moore sticks around, it looks like he's ok with being a role player. He'd make a nice one. But their biggest problem is the gaping hole at PG. I do not think highly of Roach. I think Caleb is much more talented and if the games against duke last year didn't make that evident, it will be this year.

We have a new coach, new players and presumably, somewhat of a new style of play. Duke has uber talented kids coming in to play for a coach that has consistently underachieved with that kind of talent. And it's the rivalry. Toss up again.

Dook could be BIG, with everyone except Roach 6'5" or better. If they can get consistent shooting from 3 they could be really good. UNC won't bully them on the boards this season. If the assistants can get them to buy in on the defense dook USED to play they'll be playing late into the season. I doubt there is a sweep this year.

It will be interesting to see how Hubert tweaks the offense and defense to make it his. That unknown factor could be a nice advantage to the good guys. If the returning guards make the typical frosh to soph improvement I give the edge to UNC

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Dukes key will me how much does Roach improve (I don’t think super highly of him) and do they have enough shooting.

Our key will be defense. (and post depth)

I hope they do get Baldwin. Having that much wing talent, especially given the personalities involved, means team dissention and hero ball! I expect another Portal flood at the end of the year and maybe sooner than that! Roach can play but his bball IQ didn't impress me. I expect Love to keep eating his brain just like King Rice used to do to Hurley (or was it Blojo )

If Duke gets Baldwin, K retires at the end of the season - either with a championship or out of shame for failing to win a championship with all that talent.

Reactions: bobcrane14
Let the parade of shame begin!

Ichabob volunteers as band leader! (imagine a headless ratman)

Well, Dook lost out to another power house. I'm starting to think maybe their coach has lost touch with today's players. It's so easy at that age to become too stubborn and closed to the adjustments that the modern game requires. Some might say the game has passed him by. (ME!ME! I'd say that!) Did you notice how few time outs he called last season? I bet he'd be a lot happier with time for he and Mickie to take that romantic cruise up the River Styx and to concentrate on his hobby, raising racing bats.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT