ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs PU

Indy_Heel

Sophomore
Nov 14, 2004
I will start off by saying PU is my second team behind UNC. When we moved to IN from NC needed another local team and can’t stand red and everyone else liked IU. I had to be different, so PU it was. I watch all their games along with UNC.
Just in case people were curious what UNC will face, here’s my opinion. If you don’t care then go on to the next post.

PU might be the deepest team in the country. They have a strong 10 (currently 9). Mason Gillis hasn’t played this year yet but practicing with team… get this he was actually suspended 4 games for an OWI…unlike something other Dbag school that don’t care about discipline. But once Mason is back they literally have 9 guys who could score 15-20 pts in a game any given night. I’m not talking getting lucky, they truly can. The 10th guy is a Soph 6’-5” PG (#25) don’t know yet if he score because he had mono last year and was out over a month, but he can play D! Last game he had at least 10 deflections. They are so loaded that PF Trey Kaufman red shirted due to a log jam at the wing spot and he’s dealing a arm injury that slowed his off-season. That name should ring a bell UNC was looking at him. He finished #2 as Indiana Mr. Basketball last year. Mr. Basketball is the currently the starting freshman PF for PU Caleb Furst. PU has 2 players who played for U19 USA basketball (Furst & Ivey) and 1 on the Canadian team (Edey) that played this summer. Chet Holmgren won MVP but coach Jamie Dixon said Ivey was the best player on the team.
Key Players:
Ivey - very quick athletic guard, NBA moves. Only negative is he’s hot or cold on shooting. But his game is driving to the basket. When he’s hot he’s blazing. But when he’s cold he does get the team involved. Our D will struggle stopping him driving through the lane. Best guard in the NCAA when he’s on.
3 Ball - PU has 6 legit 3 point shooters. Stefanovic is the main one and shoots off screens and gets Walton hot. Has one of the quickest releases you will see. 6’10” freshman Furst has the green light to shoot 3’s. But didn’t include him in that 6 but is 1-5 behind the arc.
Center - Williams comes off the bench and is a preseason all-American. 6’-10” his game reminds me of a light version of Kennedy Meeks. Doesn’t dunk much with that height (also like Meeks). Best passing big in NCAA. He has Kendall Marshall vision, no joke. Not a good FT shooter historically. Zach Edey he’s a mountain. 7’4” 295lbs and hard to move him. He’s a soph and only started playing soph year of HS, played hockey. He looks slow but really isn’t. Last year he struggled with keeping the ball low and getting strip. Been working on that a lot this summer. Solid on D and can score easy 8’ and in. Very good FT shooter. The kid gets beat to hell with no calls due to his size but keeps his composure. This year Edey avg’s 19min a game 19pts 10reb. Williams avg’s 18min 12/9 and that’s with taking only one shot in the second half of their first game. Team made 16 3’s that game. Edey gets in foul trouble early playing shorter players. Gets called for BS fouls just due to his size. Painter only plays one of these two at a time because he wants a fresh C at all times.

PU plays D. UNC’s D will struggle with their ball reversal 3s and unselfish play. I’m curious to see how PU guards Manek and Garcia. If Bacot gets in foul trouble early it won’t go well for UNC. They don’t have anyone else who can guard Edey and Williams post up style play. I hope I’m wrong but I see PU winning by 11+. UNC needs to play their best D of the year to have a chance. Last year PU would collapse and have horrible shooting games that would just kill them. The have won their games by 30+ this year. They didn’t do that last year against easy talent (sound familiar). My opinion that’s the only way UNC wins if PU struggles from the 3. I hope I’m wrong because a victory Saturday for UNC would be a huge mental edge going forward!

UNC will come into the game as the underdog. I just hope UNC keeps it within 5-7 points. That in itself is a victory.

Reactions: UNCFAN5271
I want to see improvement from us in this game, win or lose I am fine, just want to see improvement from building off of the games we have so far played. We will have to find a next level of all around play to be competitive in this game but we can win it if we defend strong, hit our free throws, limit our TOs, and make good shot selection decisions.

I will start off by saying PU is my second team behind UNC. When we moved to IN from NC needed another local team and can’t stand red and everyone else liked IU. I had to be different, so PU it was. I watch all their games along with UNC.
Just in case people were curious what UNC will face, here’s my opinion. If you don’t care then go on to the next post.

PU might be the deepest team in the country. They have a strong 10 (currently 9). Mason Gillis hasn’t played this year yet but practicing with team… get this he was actually suspended 4 games for an OWI…unlike something other Dbag school that don’t care about discipline. But once Mason is back they literally have 9 guys who could score 15-20 pts in a game any given night. I’m not talking getting lucky, they truly can. The 10th guy is a Soph 6’-5” PG (#25) don’t know yet if he score because he had mono last year and was out over a month, but he can play D! Last game he had at least 10 deflections. They are so loaded that PF Trey Kaufman red shirted due to a log jam at the wing spot and he’s dealing a arm injury that slowed his off-season. That name should ring a bell UNC was looking at him. He finished #2 as Indiana Mr. Basketball last year. Mr. Basketball is the currently the starting freshman PF for PU Caleb Furst. PU has 2 players who played for U19 USA basketball (Furst & Ivey) and 1 on the Canadian team (Edey) that played this summer. Chet Holmgren won MVP but coach Jamie Dixon said Ivey was the best player on the team.
Key Players:
Ivey - very quick athletic guard, NBA moves. Only negative is he’s hot or cold on shooting. But his game is driving to the basket. When he’s hot he’s blazing. But when he’s cold he does get the team involved. Our D will struggle stopping him driving through the lane. Best guard in the NCAA when he’s on.
3 Ball - PU has 6 legit 3 point shooters. Stefanovic is the main one and shoots off screens and gets Walton hot. Has one of the quickest releases you will see. 6’10” freshman Furst has the green light to shoot 3’s. But didn’t include him in that 6 but is 1-5 behind the arc.
Center - Williams comes off the bench and is a preseason all-American. 6’-10” his game reminds me of a light version of Kennedy Meeks. Doesn’t dunk much with that height (also like Meeks). Best passing big in NCAA. He has Kendall Marshall vision, no joke. Not a good FT shooter historically. Zach Edey he’s a mountain. 7’4” 295lbs and hard to move him. He’s a soph and only started playing soph year of HS, played hockey. He looks slow but really isn’t. Last year he struggled with keeping the ball low and getting strip. Been working on that a lot this summer. Solid on D and can score easy 8’ and in. Very good FT shooter. The kid gets beat to hell with no calls due to his size but keeps his composure. This year Edey avg’s 19min a game 19pts 10reb. Williams avg’s 18min 12/9 and that’s with taking only one shot in the second half of their first game. Team made 16 3’s that game. Edey gets in foul trouble early playing shorter players. Gets called for BS fouls just due to his size. Painter only plays one of these two at a time because he wants a fresh C at all times.

PU plays D. UNC’s D will struggle with their ball reversal 3s and unselfish play. I’m curious to see how PU guards Manek and Garcia. If Bacot gets in foul trouble early it won’t go well for UNC. They don’t have anyone else who can guard Edey and Williams post up style play. I hope I’m wrong but I see PU winning by 11+. UNC needs to play their best D of the year to have a chance. Last year PU would collapse and have horrible shooting games that would just kill them. The have won their games by 30+ this year. They didn’t do that last year against easy talent (sound familiar). My opinion that’s the only way UNC wins if PU struggles from the 3. I hope I’m wrong because a victory Saturday for UNC would be a huge mental edge going forward!
Well damn, guess we don't stand a chance... ;)
Seriously though, thanks for the scouting report and yeah, they're very good and deep and we'll need to step up. Win or lose, will be an informative measuring stick.

Thanks for the report! I already knew they were formidable but I believe we are up to the task. I think we can score with and on anybody and I believe we can force their Bigs into uncomfortable positions. I am a little worried about the guards but we might just get lucky and catch them on an off day. I truly hope Bacot can continue to avoid silly fouls so he can compete all game. A little more grit from Love and RJ and we are good enough. I can see us losing a close one, winning by pulling away late or getting boatraced, lol! (I think they are too experienced for us to win a real close one) It will be a fun time either way and we will be stronger for the experience. I do love learning while winning though!

Reactions: Purdue 95
Thanks for the report! I already knew they were formidable but I believe we are up to the task. I think we can score with and on anybody and I believe we can force their Bigs into uncomfortable positions. I am a little worried about the guards but we might just get lucky and catch them on an off day. I truly hope Bacot can continue to avoid silly fouls so he can compete all game. A little more grit from Love and RJ and we are good enough. I can see us losing a close one, winning by pulling away late or getting boatraced, lol! (I think they are too experienced for us to win a real close one) It will be a fun time either way and we will be stronger for the experience. I do love learning while winning though!
Great point on Bacot and foul trouble --- and not just for Saturday --- this whole season.

Thanks for the write-up boiler-heel! Appreciate the insight.
Looking forward to watching.
As much as I’m pulling for Hubert, a loss will come sometime and this is the first possibility.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Unless we play some defense, we will certainly lose. Hope we play out of our collective heads on both ends of the floor for a stunning win but not likey...:(

Reactions: shun1 and dlew71
Well damn, guess we don't stand a chance... ;)
Seriously though, thanks for the scouting report and yeah, they're very good and deep and we'll need to step up. Win or lose, will be an informative measuring stick.
It's a good thing we are his favorite.
Imagine if he actually liked Pee You.😏

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS

Key Players:

Great post! I live in Jasper, In and have adopted Purdue as my favorite local team. You are spot on in your analysis across the board. Furst, dare I say will remind some of our fans of a certain
" Psycho" that wore Carolina Blue, at least he did for me in HS and travel circuit. Crazy motor and off balence shot making ability.
Purdue is the best team in the Big 10 this season, and in my opinion Matt Painter is the best coach in the Big 10.
I said before last season started that Purdue was a year away, and I believe they will be in the Final Four come April.
Bacot must at least get a draw in the 5 matchup and Leaky must contain Ivy driving ability. I agree with Indy that an off shooting night from Purdue is probably needed for us to prevail.

Reactions: mediaexpert
To be honest I do not like this matchup at all especially up front as Purdue has ALL Big Ten first teamer Trevor Williams a 6’10 265 senior and a 7’4 285 (yes not a misprint at 285) sophomore.

Bacot has been a horse thru the first three games but let’s be honest he has not had to face a couple of Clydesdales that the Boilermakers are going to put on the court.

Size, shooters and a bunch of proven seniors and a potential superstar in guard Jaden Ivey makes this years Purdue team a real possibility to make the final four in April.

Carolina has proven they can score but have yet to show a team concept in defense so unless Purdue cannot hit from the outside and miss a bunch of free throws this contest even on a neutral court this battle
does not look real promising…

I do believe three point shooting could bring UNC the upset with Love, Walton, Davis and Manek leading the way but the ball will have to go thru the hoop…

Hi All. I'm a Purdue fan, but I like to come to other boards to learn about the teams Purdue will play. It keeps me more level headed by not living in an echo chamber haha.

A couple of things I'll add:

1) Williams is a great passer, as mentioned above, but he sometimes gets a little crazy. When he keeps it simple he passes better than most PGs, but if he starts trying to be showtime then he can become turnover prone. Ivey can also be the same way.
2) Purdue gives up a lot of open 3s. This team is still a work in progress on the defensive end and, at least through the first 3 games, has shown a propensity for losing players on ball reversals and sliding in help. If Walton (a guy Purdue recruited heavily as well so I've seen his HS film) moves well without the ball and can get hot from 3 he could really impact the game.

It will be hard to stop Purdue's offense because there are so many options to go to. Purdue tries hard at rebounding and on defense, but it's not impossible to get open shots and offensive boards on them. UNC has a pretty decent shot at winning if they play well. If Purdue plays well though, I'm not sure anyone in the country can keep up with them scoring wise outside of maybe Gonzaga.

WOW. A person on a message board trying to be "level headed" Thanks for coming in peace and for the honest assessment of your team! Purdue just jumped several notches in my mind due to having some intelligent AND considerate fans!
Just be thankful you're not dealing with any iu fans. They'd be on here talking about Bobby Knight and their 77 perfect season.

Here are some objective statements from a Purdue fan.

Unless you have watched Edey play you almost can’t comprehend how large he is.

Jaden Ivey can be elite and will be the most talented player on the floor. However, Jaden is not yet consistent and sometimes settles for long jumpers (he’s only shooting 25% from 3). He’s projected in some mock drafts to go as high as 6th. I’m convinced he will either be a very good NBA player or he will not last very long. At this point, I’m not positive which is more likely.

We are vulnerable to teams that have bigs that can shoot. Our 4s and 5s aren’t the best at guarding the perimeter which should be expected if you are large and kind of slow.

We are extremely susceptible to dribble penetration and open three pointers. Davis and Love will probably determine the outcome of this game.

Sometimes our shooters don’t show up to road games. If this happens, Edey and Trevion will have to play very well.

Best of luck to your squad.

Reactions: gary-7 and tarwhiz
Purdue is solid, not a juggernaut as some have made them to be in this thread. They are a deep team, but they are not a deeper team then UNC. Very similar depth wise. RJ/Love/ Walton match up quite well with Purdue perimeter.

Ivy is talented, not consistent yet, but very talented, same with Caleb.

Stefo is probably theirbest shooter, nowhere near Walton consistency to this point, trouble getting looks, and I like the kid have watched him since he was 16 at Crown Point.

Mando has his hands filled with Williams, but Williams will struggle when moved away from the bucket dee as well.

Love Furst, young high energy talent!!! Wish we could of convinced him to come to UNC.

Biggest advantage is Purdue's grind it out dee, UNC has not found it's sea legs on dee. They do not have more fire power though, but should find good looks easier then UNC, unless UNC grows awfully quick into their defensive identity.

Oh and if Mason Gillis counts as a potential 15-20 point guy, well Leaky Black is too then. Technically yes, but c'mon. For UNC fans, a Justin McCoy type.

They are good and with many similar level solid capable scorers, I like Newman most, and a couple legit difference makers in Williams & Ivy. Good, solid, experienced squad. NO WAY the highest octane offense in the nation with Gonzaga though.

Last edited:
Purdue is solid, not a juggernaut as some have made them to be in this thread. They are a deep team, but they are not a deeper team then UNC. Very similar depth wise. RJ/Love/ Walton match up quite well with Purdue perimeter.

Ivy is talented, not consistent yet, but very talented, same with Caleb.

Stefo is probably theirbest shooter, nowhere near Walton consistency to this point, trouble getting looks, and I like the kid have watched him since he was 16 at Crown Point.

Mando has his hands filled with Williams, but Williams will struggle when moved away from the bucket dee as well.

Love Furst, young high energy talent!!! Wish we could of convinced him to come to UNC.

Biggest advantage is Purdue's grind it out dee, UNC has not found it's sea legs on dee. They do not have more fire power though, but should find good looks easier then UNC, unless UNC grows awfully quick into their defensive identity.

Oh and if Mason Gillis counts as a potential 15-20 point guy, well Leaky Black is too then. Technically yes, but c'mon.

They are good and with many similar level solid capable scorers, I really like Newman too. Good, solid, experienced squad. NO WAY the highest octane offense in the nation with Gonzaga though.
Gillis won’t be playing but yeah he’s basically not capable of scoring 15 on this squad.

Also, Edey > Williams.. I’m not sure it’s even debatable at this point.

I’d personally argue Purdue is an inconsistent juggernaut this year. If we are hitting threes our offense will be humming. But yes, we will not likely be as consistent as Gonzaga.

Gillis won’t be playing but yeah he’s basically not capable of scoring 15 on this squad.

Also, Edey > Williams.. I’m not sure it’s even debatable at this point.

I’d personally argue Purdue is an inconsistent juggernaut this year. If we are hitting threes our offense will be humming. But yes, we will not likely be as consistent as Gonzaga.
You can say that about 2 dozen teams. Purdue is good, not a offensive loaded squad. Not even as many offensive weapons as UNC. More experience and much further along defensively, but "I will bet you a Big Mac" as my former high school teacher would say when he knew it was a doubtful comment from a student, that UNC ends up scoring more per game then the "inconsistent" or sleeping juggernaut that the Purdue offense is.

Gillis averaged what 4 or 5 points a game when he did play last year? He's a strong, somewhat undersized for his skill set, tough kid. Not a scorer.

With that said, my Heels have not guarded anybody close to well to this point, so they should get plenty of opportunities Saturday to score.

Eddy early on bludgeoning the cupcakes, is he Haarms? Neither he nor Williams move very well, offensive skill set, give me Williams.

Last edited:
I think we lose a close game but I think both teams will be able to score. Reading thru this thread, I see many UNC fans that feel this is a test we are not yet ready for. I see Purdue fans that strike me as convinced their team has got this one in the bag. Truth is either team could win this one big if their jump shooting shows up but I think this one ends up a really physical game that stays close, could come down to free throws at the end.

I would caution the Purdue fans to not get to ahead of yourself, we are UNC after all, we are a top 20 team now, we are deep with very good talent with future NBA draftees all across our roster, chopped liver we ain't! While I see UNC fans that seem to feel "oh no, we have to play Purdue" really, Purdue fans should not be happy to have to face this UNC team this early either. Truth is Purdue has more to lose in this game, the pressure should be on them to justify their ranking. UNC will be the underdog in this one and I would rather we came in as such, knowing we are favored to lose this game should translate in to our coming out ready for a battle rather than reading our own press clippings. Hubert has some cards he has not yet played...

Cream puffs or not I do know this much any top 20 team that had to play CoC on the night we got them would have had their hands just as full as we did. Brown would as well have been a problem for top 20 teams, those 2 teams, no matter how they play the rest of the season, on that night those kids executed and they shot the ball well. They were VERY experienced teams, loaded with upper classmen, what they lacked in talent they made up for with experienced execution.

I can't speak to how the "cream puffs" Purdue has played showed up for those games but they would not have walked thru either CoC or Brown had those teams played the way they did the nights we got them. Very experienced teams that can jump shoot from 4 and 5 positions are hard for any program to deal with when they get that shooting night. This we should have beat them by a hundred mind set just is not accurate because you never know on any given night. We have been challenged and we have competed and we have improved in my view game after game, still for sure a lot more improvement is needed but does Purdue not need to improve? What blowing out your so called "cream puffs" does is guarantee you that you do not know how your team will react when they do get punched in the mouth, we have taken hard punches, we have punched right back, we have not seen our guys wilt this season, we saw that the last couple seasons.

Purdue has that 7'4" 295lbs monster down low, does he crap thunder as well? LOL Could it be, like most really big teams, they may be big but they tend to be slow footed. I wonder how much that 7'4" and 295lbs is going to help him when he has to guard a guy like Garcia 30ft from the basket? I saw someone say the Purdue PG was going to be the best player on the court today, yeah, anyone checked in with Caleb Love about that? That Steph guy for Purdue can shoot it but I will take Kerwin in a 3pt shooting contest right now with out a second thought. I keep hearing how deep they are, well Roy has not really played his depth yet but we go at LEAST 10 deep and that is not counting Puff. Cool thing about our depth is it is a rock solid 2 deep at every position and many of those positions 3 deep.

What if Hubert goes for a stretch with that super jumbo line up we saw for a couple mins vs CoC with Leaky at the point! Whose big now when our shortest guy on the court is 6'4" and after him 6'8"!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT