ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs Virginia Tech game thread for Thursday 11 March 2021

Much happier for just the win, I don't usually play UNC for fear it is with my heart instead of my head, but how this game was playing out just seemed like free money to live play with the action early 2nd. Great all the way around !!!!

Reactions: Heelicious
That was a nice gut check and response from the Heels..
Exactly !! Early 2nd half there was no reason not to pull away while tied with how that game was being played. If they couldn't seize control then there has been no growth.

Not world beaters, but they have grown, and looked confident in working from that point.

How big was Blacks 8 points in the second half which contributed to the monster second half by Bacot and Davis...

he also cost Unc at least 10 pts getting his ass handed to him on defense . And I’m being generous. He has one game out of every four where he gets relatively lucky and a few shots go in. I’m glad he contributed to make up for the abomination of the first half, but let’s not kid ourselves, just because he makes a few shots doesn’t in any way shape or form justify his playing time.

bacot Sharpe and davis were the reasons Unc won this game.

he also cost Unc at least 10 pts getting his ass handed to him on defense . And I’m being generous. He has one game out of every four where he gets relatively lucky and a few shots go in. I’m glad he contributed to make up for the abomination of the first half, but let’s not kid ourselves, just because he makes a few shots doesn’t in any way shape or form justify his playing time.

It is so hard for some fans to give credit but easy to criticize which is so sad

Reactions: Canadian_Heel
It is so hard for some fans to give credit but easy to criticize which is so sad

lol the dude has been pretty bad his whole career here. Isee plenty of posters all giving credit to the guys that are playing well. You’re obviously a huge leaky fan which is fine but that doesn’t mean you are the arbiter of proper fan etiquette when it comes to him. If he legitimately plays well consistently I’m sure people would give him his due.

It was good to see two games where there was consistency. Last night was a gassed ND team. Tonight was a fresh VT team with a very good coach! UNC's players rose to the challenge and won in different ways. And, Roy coached the guys well tonight!

Well, according to Roy he was the biggest factor in limiting the Radford kid in the deciding minutes of the 2nd half. I get it, you don't care for Leaky and his playing time, and that's your prerogative, but the tenor of your venomous post belies your understanding of the game.

Well, according to Roy he was the biggest factor in limiting the Radford kid in the deciding minutes of the 2nd half. I get it, you don't care for Leaky and his playing time, and that's your prerogative, but the tenor of your venomous post belies your understanding of the game.

tenor has nothing to do with my or anyone else’s understanding of the game. That’s ludicrous and weak. Roy... says things. I wasn’t the only one watching leaky get destroyed on defense in the first half, so while I may not be a basketball savant like I guess you are, I do have eyes and while he has flashes of above average play, he’s mostly painful to watch. Him and platek would never see the court on a powerhouse Unc team.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Did you not see the fist half? Leaky was horrible. There is no other way to put it. Good for him to settle down and shut Radford down in the final minutes of the game but, as I stated earlier in this thread, you cannot just forget what happened in the first half.

As tribgrywubb68 stated, Leaky easily gave up 10+ points on defense and somehow managed to throw the ball over Kesslers head. Kessler is 7 foot tall, how does that happen?

Reactions: uncfootball-
lol the dude has been pretty bad his whole career here. Isee plenty of posters all giving credit to the guys that are playing well. You’re obviously a huge leaky fan which is fine but that doesn’t mean you are the arbiter of proper fan etiquette when it comes to him. If he legitimately plays well consistently I’m sure people would give him his due.
Good thing Coach Williams understands basketball better than anybody who posts here. He gave Black big credit for slowing down the southpaw sharpshooter when it counted the most late in the game.

I think VT finally ran out of gas, too. That intensity we saw from VT in the first half wasn't there in the second part of the 2nd half. And, we were fortunate that VT missed some shots, too.

A win is a win and I wasn't feeling good about this game after the first half.

I just hope FSU can continue to crap-the-bed. Being fresh is a huge advantage. These conference tournaments are exhausting. The NCAA- you play a game, skip a day, play a game, take -5 days off.

Playing 4 games in 4 days will take it out of you!

Reactions: carolinablue34
tenor has nothing to do with my or anyone else’s understanding of the game. That’s ludicrous and weak. Roy... says things. I wasn’t the only one watching leaky get destroyed on defense in the first half, so while I may not be a basketball savant like I guess you are, I do have eyes and while he has flashes of above average play, he’s mostly painful to watch. Him and platek would never see the court on a powerhouse Unc team.
Did you not see the fist half? Leaky was horrible. There is no other way to put it. Good for him to settle down and shut Radford down in the final minutes of the game but, as I stated earlier in this thread, you cannot just forget what happened in the first half.

As tribgrywubb68 stated, Leaky easily gave up 10+ points on defense and somehow managed to throw the ball over Kesslers head. Kessler is 7 foot tall, how does that happen?
Hey... Leaky played a key role in a tough win in the ACC tourney. Just chill and enjoy the win and show the kid some props for doing what he did.

I think VT finally ran out of gas, too. That intensity we saw from VT in the first half wasn't there in the second part of the 2nd half. And, we were fortunate that VT missed some shots, too.

I just hope FSU can continue to crap-the-bed. Being fresh is a huge advantage. These conference tournaments are exhausting. The NCAA- you play a game, skip a day, play a game, take -5 days off.

yes they were definitely dragging by halfway thru second half. So shutting them down became easier and easier as the game went on.

Great adjustments at halftime by Roy. And our guys stepping up in the second half shows what we can do when we apply what Roy wants.

Hey... Leaky played a key role in a tough win in the ACC tourney. Just chill and enjoy the win and show the kid some props for doing what he did.
I'm more than happy to see him hit some shots and get some stops on defense.

Hope he does it again tomorrow against FSU! At the same time, I'm not going to suddenly go blind to how he plays outside of those moments.

I guess I don’t get the need to prop certain guys up for basically just doing the bare minimum of what should be expected of a Unc starter and then mostly pooping themselves the rest of the time. I read a five paragraph diatribe by the boards resident basketball guru after beating dook badly about how terrible everyone was just because his boy toy wasn’t really involved in the game. And many actually agreed with him . So it’s a bit hypocritical in my opinion.

There’s also nothing wrong with calling things as they are.

Yes, I know something about the game as I played it for over 20+ years and I also played it for money. You, like many others do not understand what happens during a game, and are oblivious to actually seeing what takes place during a game. That is quite evident with your posts.

There are 5 other players opposite ours and they have some ability and run plays, screens, and play defense too. There are so many times that people like yourself think you see what is going on, but you don't. Did Leaky play a completely great game? No, he did not. I am not his apologist either. But when I see posts like yours it gets under my skin, as I know immediately that you don't understand the game and make assertions that are inaccurate and foolish IMO.

I guess I don’t get the need to prop certain guys up for basically just doing the bare minimum of what should be expected of a Unc starter and then mostly pooping themselves the rest of the time. I read a five paragraph diatribe by the boards resident basketball guru after beating dook badly about how terrible everyone was just because his boy toy wasn’t really involved in the game. And many actually agreed with him . So it’s a bit hypocritical in my opinion.

There’s also nothing wrong with calling things as they are.
As they are, or as you see them? Because, make no mistake, everyone calls things the way they see them. "As things are" is about as subjective as it gets. Especially if you have more than a handful of people involved.

Reactions: gauchoheel

Roy's words, not mine. I will go with his insights thank you.

Many should listen to Coach Williams post game comments as he several times said Leaky was one of the stars in the second half. Since Coach Williams has been coaching most of his adult life I will take his opinion every time over Couch Coaches.

Thanks IDUNK.

I was going to attach that post game PC, but since you referenced it, there is no need as those who know how, can go view and listen themselves, it's at the last few minutes of the post game interview by reporters.

Also read this Adam Lucas article as well, particularly point #5 and put an end to this discussion about Leaky.

Couch Coaches: Why not go old school and watch the game; bitch and moan and scream at whatever volume suits you, and just place your device on the coffee table. Don't enter a game thread and make yourself look ridiculous.
To go online and rip into specific players for a mistake here, a bad play there, a missed shot, a turnover
just makes you seem small-minded and mean-spirited. No one is forcing you to watch, after all.
Later, when these same players rise to the occasion and help win the game, your comments make you look like, well......
Get a grip for goodness sake.

Last edited:

I know they "sort of" earned it by being a 2 seed, but accompanied with some random good luck, how nice to get a triple bye all the way into the semi-finals. - FSU Only having to win two games for a title, when other teams have to win 3-5.

There's nothing else the tourney could do about it, and FSU had nothing to do with it. I just hope our guys don't run out of gas against FSU.

Reactions: strummingram
Thanks IDUNK.

I was going to attach that post game PC, but since you referenced it, there is no need as those who know how, can go view and listen themselves, it's at the last few minutes of the post game interview by reporters.

Also read this Adam Lucas article as well, particularly point #5 and put an end to this discussion about Leaky.

Thanks @Tarheel75 - the timing of recording messed up for me so I could only watch the last 12 game minutes, but those were the best. Heels were tied or up 1 at that point (47-47?). That is when RJ gave us a super spark.

I also noticed from this point on, Brooks and Leaky seemingly playing good defense and talking a lot and encouraging other teammates to talk on defense, and hustling/encouraging other players on the court. Leader things.

Leaky is never going to be a Hansbrough or Felton or Joel Berry or even Pinson type of outspoken vocal leader guy, but I was happy with both Leaky and Brooks in showing some leadership traits I swear we rarely saw from them early-to-late in the regular season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT