ADVERTISEMENT

UNC's Culture of Poor Discipline

replace Longo who has the 10th rated offense but keep Bateman who has the 80-100th rated defense. time to put the bottle down. and i guess you missed the "your/ticket's" part of my post.

Reactions: matt 1976
Gun to head I might replace Bateman first.

But at the same time if the next qb isn't VERY good I could see our O being awful...

Like h above, I think Bateman needs to simplify the scheme and work more on technique & execution - and I'm afraid I don't see those happening.

Last edited:
i’ll offer a simple observation specific to Longo and it was highlighted on one of the night broadcasts we played in recently. we were inside the 1 yard line and continued to run our offensive set out of shot gun. never once did we go under center and keep the defense honest on a sneak. that’s a simple thing

that's not unique to Longo, most teams run short yardage/goal line out of the shotgun now. doesn't make sense to me but that seems to be the trend

Reactions: blazers
Our goal line problems are not because of Longo's play calling. The problem is the weak O line. Any of those plays would work if our O line could move people out.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Our goal line problems are not because of Longo's play calling. The problem is the weak O line. Any of those plays would work if our O line could move people out.
yeah, our o-line is weak and slow. against d-lines with quickness and footspeed it's a lost cause.

Gun to head I might replace Bateman first.

But at the same time of the next qb isn't VERY good I could see our O being awful...

Like h above, I think Bateman needs to simplify the scheme and work more on technique & execution - and I'm afraid I don't see those happening.
Correct. Next year we have a new starting QB, And e have Searels, and now Searels must replace at least 2 starters on the OL. It is possible that next year's offense takes a full step backward.

It is likely that next year's D, with the same staff and the players coming back and new players coming in, takes a full step forward.

Correct. Next year we have a new starting QB, And e have Searels, and now Searels must replace at least 2 starters on the OL. It is possible that next year's offense takes a full step backward.
As long as Maye is as good as expected, I think we'll be about the same on offense. I can't imagine the OL getting worse. We've got some good players at the skill positions to take some pressure off of Maye. If Maye isn't that good, then I'm not sure even our gift from god OC can save us.

As long as Maye is as good as expected, I think we'll be about the same on offense. I can't imagine the OL getting worse. We've got some good players at the skill positions to take some pressure off of Maye. If Maye isn't that good, then I'm not sure even our gift from god OC can save us.
People are going to be shocked to see how good Andre Greene will be right away. He's got elite size and speed and will be a great compliment to Downs in the slot. If Beau can come back healthy, great potential there along with Nesbit stretching the field at TE. My big question is at RB. Hood/Edmonds/Pettaway/Hampton/Jones, how will they sort that position out. On the OL, wonder if Rice has a shot to start day 1.

And that gets us back to what Texas fans complained about with Mack in his final years: If Mack felt forced to fire an assistant, he would fire one who was (A) not among his buddy-mentored group and, therefore, (B) not his assistant, or 2 assistants, who most needed to be replaced.

What that means is that if Mack remains true to his form, he is not going to replace Searels, Thigpen, Bly, or Cross - unless one of them gets arrested for dope or being the new Jerry Sandusky.

Regarding a coaching staff, Mack holds 2 cliches to his heart, as tightly as possible. One is that a staff is best when it stays together a long time. When that cliche is held as essentially dogma, then the HC almost never will fire an assistant, even when the AD orders a firing or else the HC is fired. That scenario is why Ole Miss fired Cutcliffe.

The other cliche is that a staff is best when it is like a brotherhood, with the HC linking a bunch of his friends and proteges. Such a fraternal type group would have natural cohesion and its members would all work together for the greater good of all.

That is even crazier than the first. Kind of like having faith that mobs screaming liberte, egalite, fraternite would lead to peace breaking out across France and all Europe.

Those of you old enough to remember Mack's first run at UNC will remember Greg Davis and how a number of UNC football fans rather quickly wondered how Mack could think that guy was the cat's meow. Davis met Brown through coaching contacts, and they became close friends. When Mack became Tulane HC, he made Davis AHC, though Davis had never been anything more than QB coach, at a program (A&M) that then emphasized D and QBs handing the ball off. Mack felt that Davis was the next great HC, so Tulane hired him as HC.

Those who knew UNC football well found fault with Davis as soon as Mack brought him to Chapel Hill. Texas fans complained about him as a mediocre dud even during 2005. Mack still insisted Davis was as good an OC as could be found and someday would be a great HC.

Mack was BFF with Davis, and that took precedence over everything.

Mack is not close to BFF with Bateman.

i don't think mack can survive another season like this. either he's forced by big boosters/AD to make changes or he develops serious health issues. you could see in the pressers down the stretch how much stress he was under. also, mack is close to the end anyway - don't see more than 3 or 4 more seasons at best (probably less) - should free him up to make decisions he wouldn't in the past (though it may work the opposite way). mack's a great recruiter but selling high 4* and 5* kids on a program that went 6-6 for a couple of seasons and is being joked about nationally is beyond his ability to overcome.

I would hope that Mack and Bubba would be shopping around to see who might be available. Maybe Longo and Bateman are the best we can do right now but there is a lot of room for improvement there if the job is tempting enough.

Here's a question... Is Longo the guy you want making the deciding call against Clemson for a conference title? Is Bateman the guy you'd choose to be making that call for the defense? With the level of talent coming in, that has to be the end game being planned for...

not sure how big of a draw we were 3 years ago when shopping for OC/DCs. i think we're a better draw now with the talent we're bringing in. we could possibly lure better OC/DC candidates. there's a lot fewer guys with better stats than longo than there is for bateman. longo has a few areas he needs to improve. bateman needs to improve every area of the defense. might come down to whether you tell the new OC/DC they are also being groomed as the next HC (at least to upgrade at OC)

Reactions: blazers
I would hope that Mack and Bubba would be shopping around to see who might be available. Maybe Longo and Bateman are the best we can do right now but there is a lot of room for improvement there if the job is tempting enough.

Here's a question... Is Longo the guy you want making the deciding call against Clemson for a conference title? Is Bateman the guy you'd choose to be making that call for the defense? With the level of talent coming in, that has to be the end game being planned for...
I trust Bateman’s calls. The execution has been shit. Is that the coaching or the talent?

I don’t trust longo at all in big moments

not sure how big of a draw we were 3 years ago when shopping for OC/DCs. i think we're a better draw now with the talent we're bringing in. we could possibly lure better OC/DC candidates. there's a lot fewer guys with better stats than longo than there is for bateman. longo has a few areas he needs to improve. bateman needs to improve every area of the defense. might come down to whether you tell the new OC/DC they are also being groomed as the next HC (at least to upgrade at OC)

Longo does put up some decent numbers, especially when he has a ton of talent. I'm willing to bet we would score a ton of points with an elite OL. Especially if he would be willing to expand his playbook and completely overhaul the red zone philosophy and play selection.

That being said...

I don’t trust longo at all in big moments

it's coaching ticket. and bateman's calls don't even get in until the offense is snapping the ball. if the guys on the field can't execute your calls after 12 games then you need to look in a mirror to see the problem. our defensive guys aren't stupid (which is pretty much what everyone is saying when they harp on the kids' execution and screw ups). and no matter how much you hate longo, he's done better than fed did

Reactions: heelfan1961
i struggle with the logic behind some statements. longo does well when he has elite talent. bateman is struggling because he doesn't have elite talent. how can someone support both of these statement?

i struggle with the logic behind some statements. longo does well when he has elite talent. bateman is struggling because he doesn't have elite talent. how can someone support both of these statement?

I think Bateman has enough talent to be putting a much better defense on the field than we have this year. I agree that we could probably get a better DC. Honestly I don't think either Longo or Bateman are elite level coordinators.

Honestly I don't think either Longo or Bateman are elite level coordinators.
And that's basically what it comes down to. I think both coordinators could be good enough to win the coastal division most years. But is that the goal? Win 7-8 games a year? Maybe 9 every 4-5 years? I just don't think either one of them is good enough to regularly challenge for the best of the ACC. Neither one has shown they can consistently perform well against good teams.

i think we're getting closer on our thoughts. you take the best person/fit at the time and try to make progress. as things change (better recruits, better record, better pay opportunity, ...) you may choose to upgrade at some coaching positions. i think there is value in continuity but there's more value in success. the right coach to take you from A to B might not be the right coach to take you from B to C. so because of recruiting we're now at point B and looking at options. time to put together a short list of guys who would be an upgrade at OC and at DC. need to be realistic about our chances of getting them and not just come up with names.

it's coaching ticket. and bateman's calls don't even get in until the offense is snapping the ball. if the guys on the field can't execute your calls after 12 games then you need to look in a mirror to see the problem. our defensive guys aren't stupid (which is pretty much what everyone is saying when they harp on the kids' execution and screw ups). and no matter how much you hate longo, he's done better than fed did
My biggest X&0 probs with Bateman:
- incredibly slow to line-up (esp given that HUNH is such a prominent thing). This hurt short-yardage and goalline all yr.

- I hate the times when he drops defensive tackles like Tomari and Vohasek into the flats for coverage - rarely seems to turn out well.

- just bull-rushing while two of those bull-rushers didn't even have their hand in the dirt.

- can't stop mobile quarterbacks AT ALL.

- Seems his adjustments only come at halftime.

Position-coaching-wise his safety group has made some pretty bad execution mistakes this yr despite none of the players being rookies. Chapman, Cam'Ron, Biggers are jrs, Morrison a sr.

I love the creativity or diversity of the wrinkles, and there are a few halves of games where things click well, but most of the time we were a top-80 defense.

Reactions: riverswe
i’ll offer a simple observation specific to Longo and it was highlighted on one of the night broadcasts we played in recently. we were inside the 1 yard line and continued to run our offensive set out of shot gun. never once did we go under center and keep the defense honest on a sneak. that’s a simple thing
Yep. If you do not have any goal line plays under center, then the D never has to account for that.

And that's basically what it comes down to. I think both coordinators could be good enough to win the coastal division most years. But is that the goal? Win 7-8 games a year? Maybe 9 every 4-5 years? I just don't think either one of them is good enough to regularly challenge for the best of the ACC. Neither one has shown they can consistently perform well against good teams.
I agree that neither one is right now a truly Elite level coordinator. I don't think a team requires a truly Elite coordinator on both sides of the ball in order to win a P5 and reach the playoff. But I am certain a team needs 1.

The biggest problem with replacing either Longo or Bateman or both is that no truly top coordinator with experience is going to be happy with the position coaches Mack has chosen. Searels can make any top level OC look bad. The endless mental mistakes made by our players on D - across all position groups - could make Will Muschamp look like an average DC at best.

That's why we never get any better, we settle.
Well, I'm not in charge of writing checks, and neither are you. What choice do I have? I can't evaluate coaches. I played football for two years of junior high school. I can assure you that my skills and understanding of football playing and coaching knowledge is very low compared to the ones who are actually making a living doing it.

we clearly have problems on the defensive side of the ball and i'm sure some of it is on the position coaches and some on the DC. but you can't go all spring, fall and season and still not be able to line up correctly/timely and run the right play. and the O line is too inconsistent (and at times just poor) to fully unleash a major offense. i don't know how much mack protects certain position coaches, which could be a big problem for the OC/DC.

i'm guessing there may be 5-8 guys who could be an upgrade at OC - several of them are HCs who also serve as OC or are the OC in a much better program. i'm guessing there may be 20-30 guys who could be an upgrade at DC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT