ADVERTISEMENT

UNC's Five Most Important Bowl Wins

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Andrew Jones article

With Williams choosing not to play, the short Jones write up I think about most is the 1981 Gator Bowl, the Fog Bowl: "Kelvin Bryant ran for 148 yards and Ethan Horton added 144 for the Tar Heels."

Bryant already had dealt with injury, but he never would have weenied out on his teammates headed to a bowl.

Andrew Jones article

Bryant already had dealt with injury, but he never would have weenied out on his teammates headed to a bowl.
The almighty dollar is the altar at which many people today worship. It is the end all and be all for too many of these men, and that’s unfortunate.

If sports has shown anything, it’s that fans are the always the first to be under appreciated and taken for granted. They are every bit as important to the success of sports as the players themselves, but the PTB seem to have forgotten that. Fans won’t take that bad treatment forever.

Last edited:
To the important bowl wins I would add the 1963 Gator Bowl (35-0 over Air Force), First bowl game in 13 years with lots of losing seasons and mediocrity during that time (and a couple of 6-4 seasons under Tatum)

No disrespect to Andrew Jones.

The 1979 Gator Bowl would top my list .

The Tar Heels back doored as an entrant into the Gator Bowl as a competitor to face Michigan.
Amos ran for more than 100 yards.
Matt Kupec led the Carolina offense on a 99 yard touchdown drive.
LT was LT.
Defense came up big, stopping a game tying 2 point attempt, then survived an onside attempt and sealed the game with the kicking game as the Heels got a monster punt that put Michigan deep in their own territory with no times out left with just a few seconds left to play.

Classic early Crum football.........solid in all phases of the game and the springboard to a great 5 year ride.

The Tar Heels back doored as an entrant into the Gator Bowl as a competitor to face Michigan.
LT was LT.
Defense came up big, stopping a game tying 2 point attempt, then survived an onside attempt and sealed the game with the kicking game as the Heels got a monster punt that put Michigan deep in their own territory with no times out left with just a few seconds left to play.

Classic early Crum football.........solid in all phases of the game and the springboard to a great 5 year ride.
Matt Kupec!!! Wow! I hadn't thought of his name in a while!

The almighty dollar is the altar at which many people today worship. It is the end all and be all for too many of these men, and that’s unfortunate.

If sports has shown anything, it’s that fans are the always the first to be under appreciated and taken for granted. They are every bit as important to the success of sports as the players themselves, but the PTB seem to have forgotten that. Fans won’t take that bad treatment forever.
Without fans, there is no money for Pro sports and no donations and season ticket sales for college sports.

If you kill the goose that laid the golden egg, then you have no one to blame but yourself when you realize that golden egg was easy street for you.

Reactions: Archer2
To the important bowl wins I would add the 1963 Gator Bowl (35-0 over Air Force), First bowl game in 13 years with lots of losing seasons and mediocrity during that time (and a couple of 6-4 seasons under Tatum)
Without that bowl win, would Bill Dooley have taken the UNC job? Maybe not.

LT was LT.

Crum's streak of 4 consecutive bowl wins has never been matched, and all 4 victims were major football names.

Yet when people talk about getting all the different groups of UNC players together, they tend to ignore the Crum years. They go out of the way to get Dooley boys and Mack 1 boys and Tiorbush and Bunting boys. but they rarely give more than lip service to Crum's players.

Without that bowl win, would Bill Dooley have taken the UNC job? Maybe not.
Well, we went 5-5, 4-6 and 2-8 for the next three seasons before Dooley came. Did that excite him?

Well, we went 5-5, 4-6 and 2-8 for the next three seasons before Dooley came. Did that excite him?
If there had been no bowl in 1963, UNC would not have played in a bowl since the 1949 season. Taking over a down program that has not been to a bowl for a decade and a half is a far different thing than taking over a down program that just 4 years earlier had a dominating win in one of the then 9 bowl games. The latter shows promise within reach. The former makes you think of Vanderbilt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT