ADVERTISEMENT

UNC's latest transfer portal pursuit: Tyzhaun Claude

DaveChapelle

Hall of Famer
Sep 17, 2020
A 6'7" forward who averaged 4.8 points and 5.2 rebounds for Georgia Tech. He's made 3 three pointers in his college career. He's played 4 years total between Morehead State, Western Carolina, and Georgia Tech. He's originally from Goldboro. 247sports ranks him as the #203 transfer in the portal.

I just want to apologize to our NIL leadership for ever doubting that they would be able to purchase the starting center that Hubert spent all summer trying to land. /s

• Haha
Reactions: RoseHeel
No. They said we were done in the portal and we were. The international market operates on a different time-table. We have been scouting foreign Bigs for the next two classes, but if one starts talking reclass and others are interested, well, you snooze - you lose.

If UNC has in fact reached out to Claude, you're probably going to have to admit you were wrong on this one.

For those in the loop, correct me if I’m off base—if Hubert wants a recruit, is it safe to assume our NIL potential is strong enough to land him, and that UNC will either meet or exceed any competing offers?

For those in the loop, correct me if I’m off base—if Hubert wants a recruit, is it safe to assume our NIL potential is strong enough to land him, and that UNC will either meet or exceed any competing offers?
Absolutely not. For example, Georgetown and Alabama both offered Clifford Omoruyi more NIL money than UNC.

A 6'7" forward who averaged 4.8 points and 5.2 rebounds for Georgia Tech. He's made 3 three pointers in his college career. He's played 4 years total between Morehead State, Western Carolina, and Georgia Tech. He's originally from Goldboro. 247sports ranks him as the #203 transfer in the portal.

I just want to apologize to our NIL leadership for ever doubting that they would be able to purchase the starting center that Hubert spent all summer trying to land. /s
If UNC buying recruits means so much to you that you can’t stop whining about it, take a mortgage out on your house and give $100K to NIL. If you haven’t, then STFU. Stop expecting someone else to put up the money to buy them. You’re the all too typical American, you want something but want someone else to pay for it.

Because remember guys, it's not the job of the University collecting $100 Million in revenue to pay for players. It's the fans.

Totally not an NIL problem, though.

If UNC has in fact reached out to Claude, you're probably going to have to admit you were wrong on this one.
What in the wide wide world of sports is even wrong with you?

1. Hubert has not, repeat NOT "spent all summer trying to land" a starting center. He already has one. And BTW, had we landed one of our legit Center targets like the kid from Rutgers, even that was to give us a one-two punch at the 5 with a bruiser to complement JWash's skills, and there was NO guarantee of a starting job --- it would've (properly) been a competition and the minutes would have likely been split pretty evenly.

2. What Hubert HAS (quite logically) been doing is due diligence to try to a add a big-body to our frontline rotation to combat bruisers... and THAT, my friend, is precisely what the interest in the NZ kid was about. He was NEVER looked upon by the staff as being a starter here this season.

3. This Claude dude would just be a no-risk pickup of a local and experienced banger (who had a good game against us), but as I understand it, our interest came late and is pretty much a "why not?" situation, i.e., ok, if he wants to join a top-tier program, as opposed to going somewhere he'll get more minutes.

So LMAO, no, I was not "wrong". And look, man --- in all sincerity, whatever does (or more likely doesn't) happen to the roster going forward, I would just gently suggest chilling out a skosh and to get ready to watch a really good team take the floor this Fall. If what has gone on in practice this Summer is any indicator, it's gonna be a helluva lot of fun to watch and hell to play against...

So LMAO, no, I was not "wrong".
The original conversation was about the claims that "we were done after Lubin." You chimed in to say we were done in the transfer portal.

Obviously we are not done in the transfer portal. It's mind-blowing you can't bring yourself to admit you were wrong. If you can't even bring yourself to admit you were wrong to claim we were done in the transfer portal while our staff is actively looking at a transfer portal player, I clearly made a mistake taking you off ignore. I'll fix that right now.

• Haha
Reactions: gary-7
The original conversation was about the claims that "we were done after Lubin." You chimed in to say we were done in the transfer portal.

Obviously we are not done in the transfer portal. It's mind-blowing you can't bring yourself to admit you were wrong. If you can't even bring yourself to admit you were wrong to claim we were done in the transfer portal while our staff is actively looking at a transfer portal player, I clearly made a mistake taking you off ignore. I'll fix that right now.
Dude... just stop with that nonsense. I have laid out every scenario from the get-go and NO... I was not "wrong". Just LMFAO at you at this point.

FYI, the international market is not the portal, and as for this recent guy. IF we happen to take a last-minute 1-year guy who comes sniffing around when we've got scholly room, that hardly qualifies as not being done.

But hey, y'know what though?... If you want to nitpick semantics to make yourself feel better, then please go right ahead. Maybe you can recover some damn sanity before you blow a gasket with your hysterics.

Otherwise, yeah PLEASE put me back on ignore. It was far more pleasant that way.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
I can see a glorified " walk on" Role with a scholarship of course. Anything more than that doesn't make any sense.
I have already said I think James Brown should Redshirt after playing as much as possible in Nov/ Dec that still allows him to do so. I don't think there is any playing time whatsoever available for Claude. In fact, I think our 4th big man will be Withers, and I see his playing time actually going down from last year.

Reactions: Archer2 and gary-7
What in the wide wide world of sports is even wrong with you?

1. Hubert has not, repeat NOT "spent all summer trying to land" a starting center. He already has one. And BTW, had we landed one of our legit Center targets like the kid from Rutgers, even that was to give us a one-two punch at the 5 with a bruiser to complement JWash's skills, and there was NO guarantee of a starting job --- it would've (properly) been a competition and the minutes would have likely been split pretty evenly.

2. What Hubert HAS (quite logically) been doing is due diligence to try to a add a big-body to our frontline rotation to combat bruisers... and THAT, my friend, is precisely what the interest in the NZ kid was about. He was NEVER looked upon by the staff as being a starter here this season.

3. This Claude dude would just be a no-risk pickup of a local and experienced banger (who had a good game against us), but as I understand it, our interest came late and is pretty much a "why not?" situation, i.e., ok, if he wants to join a top-tier program, as opposed to going somewhere he'll get more minutes.

So LMAO, no, I was not "wrong". And look, man --- in all sincerity, whatever does (or more likely doesn't) happen to the roster going forward, I would just gently suggest chilling out a skosh and to get ready to watch a really good team take the floor this Fall. If what has gone on in practice this Summer is any indicator, it's gonna be a helluva lot of fun to watch and hell to play against...
@gary-7, you would have better luck trying to convince the oak tree in my front yard.

Dave Chappelle is really tiresome. Same message on repeat for EVER. If he roots for our team, I'd hate to see what he says about the other teams. I'd like to see his "blocked" list. My guess is he has very few peeps left to complain about our NIL to.

It seems a coach may very well think he is "done" based on who is in the portal on a certain date but subsequently another player enters who could be of interest. The guy entered the portal on August 1. I would think a coach could be satisfied with his roster but if he has an open scholly and could add a practice or rotational player then why not.

It seems a coach may very well think he is "done" based on who is in the portal on a certain date but subsequently another player enters who could be of interest. The guy entered the portal on August 1. I would think a coach could be satisfied with his roster but if he has an open scholly and could add a practice or rotational player then why not.

Shame on you, rational thinking is not allowed on this board by some……well actually only 1 that I can think of.

Reactions: Archer2 and gary-7
The guy entered the portal on August 1. I would think a coach could be satisfied with his roster but if he has an open scholly and could add a practice or rotational player then why not.
I'm hoping that's it.

Or does the staff now see problems - like players not developing or fitting as expected - and think they need to add someone?

I'm a Withers fan, but there are plenty here who don't think he'll ever be good enough.

Lubin seems like a good fit, but didn't impress in the scrimmages I saw.

Reports on Washington have been favorable, but are we confident he can handle the minutes?

Hill and Brown are mysteries.

Personally I don't see any value in adding to the congestion, but I'm not in a position to answer questions like those.

Anybody have any inside info?

Reactions: dtodd4475
I'm hoping that's it.

Or does the staff now see problems - like players not developing or fitting as expected - and think they need to add someone?

I'm a Withers fan, but there are plenty here who don't think he'll ever be good enough.

Reports on Washington have been favorable, but are we confident he can handle the minutes?

Personally I don't see any value in adding to the congestion, but I'm not in a position to answer questions like those.

Please see my post above. There is no "problem". Period.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that's it.

It does seem like it is a position with numerous like sized/skilled players vying for time already. A big makes sense, but this interest intrigues me.

r9zyC1.gif

Please go be a fan of any other team
I'm not giving back my diploma and I'm not giving up my lifelong fandom.

It's not your place to tell alumni to stop cheering for the team.

If my discussions on the current state of UNC basketball recruiting bother you so much, all you have to do is click the ignore button. Nobody is forcing you to read my accurate posts acknowledging we failed to fill our biggest hole on the roster this offseason, and that our 2025 recruiting class is trending in a similar direction.

If my discussions on the current state of UNC basketball recruiting bother you so much, all you have to do is click the ignore button. Nobody is forcing you to read my accurate posts acknowledging we failed to fill our biggest hole on the roster this offseason, and that our 2025 recruiting class is trending in a similar direction.
I don't think "cheering" means what you think it means.

If by "accurate" you mean hysterical, then yeah...

It’s not your discussions on the current state of UNC basketball recruiting that bothers everyone. It’s the fact that it’s on every single topic, thread, and breath you type. I already know 100% when I see your posts that they’re going to be a negative bitch bent, that will never be a positive for UNC.
It’s ok I suppose, but you can’t complain when you play opera music to a crowd that hates the opera and wonder why everyone complains. (Sorry to anyone who likes opera) but you get my point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT