ADVERTISEMENT

Vernon Carey

ChapelHeeled

All-American
Nov 9, 2011
The Charlotte Hornets did draft Vernon Carey with the number 32 pick. GM Mitch Kupchack stated that Carey was in the process of losing 20-40 lbs. So, was he that much overweight at Duke last season?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Carey is just plain lazy and entitled! He had problems with motor/work ethic since high school and the rat patrol did nothing to fix it! If he decides to put in the work, he could become a monster; if he coasts like he is used to, he will end up on someone's bench for a few years!

Carey is just plain lazy and entitled! He had problems with motor/work ethic since high school and the rat patrol did nothing to fix it! If he decides to put in the work, he could become a monster; if he coasts like he is used to, he will end up on someone's bench for a few years!

Your assessment is spot on in my opinion. The guy did not even get picked in the first round. He had skills to be a dominant player in college and beyond. Second round pick and Kupchacks assessment are telling...

Not a bad pick. Most are taking flyers after 1st round anyway. Sometimes in the first round. He has the skills if somebody can motivate him. If they can, you have a steal. If not, you haven't lost anything

I thought he was a very good player yet I was unaware of his "motor" issues...explains his drop in the draft

The Charlotte Hornets did draft Vernon Carey with the number 32 pick. GM Mitch Kupchack stated that Carey was in the process of losing 20-40 lbs. So, was he that much overweight at Duke last season?
It was the wrong kind of weight. Carey IMO had more upside than Weisman, but yeah, his rep coming out of HS was being lazy.

It was the wrong kind of weight. Carey IMO had more upside than Weisman, but yeah, his rep coming out of HS was being lazy.

Well Gary, I do still follow MJ. So therefore I hope both he and Ball turn out. They also got the big kid from KY last night. Finally a guard with promise at 56 was taken (College of Charleston)...

Could be a steal at that point in the draft. Or not.

Kind of hard to pass on him outside the guaranteed money zone.

I haven't paid much attention to Charlotte, but I don't have the impression that they are famous for motivating their players.

The league is not huge on that type skill set. Concerns with him playing away from the basket, especially on pick and roll is his biggest downside. Built for college game.

May be wrong type of weight for the NBA but don't think I agree it was a negative for him as a freshman in college, unless it limited his ability to run the court or limited him to runs of less than 5mins (neither I saw as an issue for him). Bulk in college helps a lot of big men, look at Meeks, look at Sean May for 2 UNC examples. That strength and bulk really help some guys carve out space for rebounds if they hold their position, how many rebounds did Meeks get just off his own misses?

No way I can go with ya on taking Carey over Wiseman and Wiseman is built more for the NBA game than Carey. I do agree, it was no secret, the knock on Carey was his motor, did not see that as big an issue while at duke but still that motor was not what I would call wide open. Maybe stamina due to some extra weight was a factor, it sure was for Meeks as a freshman but it was for Tony Bradley as well and he didn't have weight that he needed to drop, he needed to add some.

Meeks and May (Barkley is too!) are big frame guys who naturally carry weight. Carey is a lankier frame guy who carries weight because he won't work it off. The difference is in naturally knowing how to use the bulk to maximize effectiveness instead of it simply slowing you down and reducing your PT. IF both had the same work ethic, I might well take Carey over Wiseman, BUT they don't. As it is, Wiseman is a much better prospect! I think Charlotte was smart to take a flyer on Carey though, because he has All-Star potential. I also think Ball was a good choice, but both carry some obvious risks!

ADVERTISEMENT