ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (Cuse game 2)...

Walton is a shooter, so he needs to be on the court. I'm almost positive that he won't make a single shot while sitting on the bench which means he won't break out of his slump. What he really needs to do is take more midrange shots. He's just as good at that as he is hitting a three.

His value isn't just shooting though, he also helps with giving the bigs some room to work, because he actually has to be defended. His man can't just leave him to help down low. We can bitch all we want about his defense, but Roy's not a guy who wins games with defense. He wins games with offense and the sweet spot for him is 80 points. We aren't getting that with Walton on the bench.

All 100% facts.

Benching the one guy who can stretch the zone, even when he's not hitting shots, makes zero sense.

All 100% facts.

Benching the one guy who can stretch the zone, even when he's not hitting shots, makes zero sense.
Last night Walton struggled with his shot in part I think due to the dome just messing with his perception. But much more than that was he has started rushing his shots, he got at least 1 blocked, may have been 2 because his catch and release are a bit slow. Have you noticed that over the last few games he has gone away from the shot fake, 1 or 2 re-establish dribbles as his defender flies by him and pop up for the trey? He really needs to go back to that, he needs that extra split second of time.

Reactions: Heelicious
Last night Walton struggled with his shot in part I think due to the dome just messing with his perception. But much more than that was he has started rushing his shots, he got at least 1 blocked, may have been 2 because his catch and release are a bit slow. Have you noticed that over the last few games he has gone away from the shot fake, 1 or 2 re-establish dribbles as his defender flies by him and pop up for the trey? He really needs to go back to that, he needs that extra split second of time.

My brother played in that dome twice and said it is incredibly difficult to shoot in. I can't even imagine it without fans to at least cover up some of the backdrop, has to be near impossible if you're not used to it.

My brother played in that dome twice and said it is incredibly difficult to shoot in. I can't even imagine it without fans to at least cover up some of the backdrop, has to be near impossible if you're not used to it.
The place especially looked and sounded like a canyon or NFL stadium being used for basketball last night. Bad place to play even when there are lots of fans, but with no fans - not fun at all. Almost like an echo would come back from any sound made.

And I wasn't directing that at you specifically. Again, reading.
Then I suggest, in the future, either respond to whomever you were addressing or clarify in your post.

You are a fine contributor on this board. Nearly all of us appreciate your illuminating analyses. Some of us - myself included - look forward to them and wish for even more. But (you knew there would be a but, didn't you?) you also seem to get into more pissing matches than almost anyone here. I don't think anyone looks forward to those. Which is not to say that you aren't sometimes right.

In this case - to get it back to what was under discussion - my point wasn't whether the refs cost us a game but the tendency I think we all have to more easily spot the bad calls against our side.

Reactions: dtodd4475

Depth perception is a real issue in the bigger venues. However, the team had opportunity to have shoot around. I suspect that the Carrier Dome had some influence on our players shots.

Dude, if you can't do any better than that, then maybe just don't.

Call it what you want but if we clean that up we have won most all of our games. I'm sure NO one but you would disagree and that's only because you didn't state that fact!

And I wasn't directing that at you specifically. Again, reading.

No one said you blamed the ref o simply ask if you have ever seen a well officiated game.

Again reading, comprehension!

It takes a special breed to critique someone's reading comprehension while blindly misrepresenting their post!

As big of a problem as our shooting has been almost all season (how many missed bunnies?, three-point shot selection, and of course, free throws) , how much better would we be without the unforced turnovers caused by slow, lazy, telegraphed passes that are so easily tipped, stolen, and turned into points at the other end?

How many empty possessions have we had where we don't even get to initiate the offense? 60 turnovers in three games as the calendar turns to March? And it's not like we're successful trying to force a high tempo with lots of points and possessions.

We are certainly not executing with the same focus that the coaches must demand at practice.
No coach at any level would be satisfied with this level of performance in practice.
Certainly not one with 900 wins in the book.
This inconsistent hot mess on the floor against far less talented teams
(at least six of our losses are in this category) has me flabbergasted.

Reactions: Heelicious

It's the reason I let my kid shoot out doors from the wings.

Outside shooting is like a dome. I want my kid to be able to shoot in any gym.

Reactions: dadika13
Then I suggest, in the future, either respond to whomever you were addressing or clarify in your post.

You are a fine contributor on this board. Nearly all of us appreciate your illuminating analyses. Some of us - myself included - look forward to them and wish for even more. But (you knew there would be a but, didn't you?) you also seem to get into more pissing matches than almost anyone here. I don't think anyone looks forward to those. Which is not to say that you aren't sometimes right.

In this case - to get it back to what was under discussion - my point wasn't whether the refs cost us a game but the tendency I think we all have to more easily spot the bad calls against our side.
Fair enough, but with all due respect, I'd also suggest not amplifying the narratives that distract from more substantial stuff, which is ultimately what precipitates the aforementioned "pissing matches". I responded to your post instead of one of those to avoid just that outcome. In other words, there are a few here that enter these threads for the very purpose of starting sh**, and I'd rather debunk a narrative by talking with someone (you, for example) who's interested in talking hoops and who isn't here for the nonsense.

Anyway, back to the substance of that topic, fact is, refs are an existential factor in any given game and coaches know enough to scout them as much as the opponent's sets. And I don't talk about them here through a fan's eye or just bad calls against us. Hell, I even gave TV Teddy a shoutout last week for doing us a big solid during the FSU game. And a couple games before that I was very complimentary of Higgins & Co.

Speaking of that, I'll give you an example. Higgins is one of the best but you hafta know he'll definitely blow the whistle, so the staff's job is to tell our guys (especially the Bigs) to be careful with the extracurricular stuff because you WILL get popped (one reason that calipari has issues with him). In direct contrast, Ayers isn't one-sided BUT he has become a notorious whistle-swallower over the years, so with him the guys (again, especially the Bigs) need to be aware they ain't gonna get any help so be extra-strong with the ball and assume uncalled contact.

Granted, with some guys there's just nothing UNC can do but assume the worst outcome (e.g., Stephens/Luckie/Dorsey) and so the guys just hafta suck it up and take care of their own business, but the deal is that you have to be aware and/or adjust to the crew --- it's part of coaching and playing --- and hopefully the above examples ring true. Remember how the Cuse game went? We started out dominating them in the paint, but as someone pointed out above, after a timeout Boeheim told his guys to start getting physical, gambling that the zebras would let them get away with enough to change the game and/or our guys wouldn't respond. He definitely got his wish on both counts

Reactions: bobcrane14
Call it what you want but if we clean that up we have won most all of our games. I'm sure NO one but you would disagree and that's only because you didn't state that fact!
Actually, I don't disagree at all with the part you're referencing, and it is something I've mentioned often this season.

However, perhaps you might try saying something substantive like that while leaving out the sniping that preceded it, hmm? And as to that, I would refer you to my post directly above this one.

Very informative regarding the referees, gary. UNC set very few screens against the zone. Since fouls weren’t being called, It seems that ten times the number of screens would have been effective

Actually, I don't disagree at all with the part you're referencing, and it is something I've mentioned often this season.

However, perhaps you might try saying something substantive like that while leaving out the sniping that preceded it, hmm? And as to that, I would refer you to my post directly above this one.

Gary I simply ask if you had seen a well officiated game! 24 games this year and 15 of those reviews you complained about the refs. You are consistent because you did it in wins and losses.

I just think that until we do the things that every college basketball team should do with out question like turning the ball over 15+ times, and shooting 60% from the free throw line. The refs suck argument don't hold much weight!

Reactions: Tarheels39
Very informative regarding the referees, gary. UNC set very few screens against the zone. Since fouls weren’t being called, It seems that ten times the number of screens would have been effective
Well, screens vs Zones are different and less frequent than vs Man, and usually parts of set plays. Our normal continuity offense dissects Zones with ball and player movement, and again, Zones get weaker with each good pass.

Gary I simply ask if you had seen a well officiated game! 24 games this year and 15 of those reviews you complained about the refs. You are consistent because you did it in wins and losses.

I just think that until we do the things that every college basketball team should do with out question like turning the ball over 15+ times, and shooting 60% from the free throw line. The refs suck argument don't hold much weight!
You were doing fine until the last sentence. Again, I would suggest you read my reply to WWJD above.

Plain fact is, zebras set the playing environment of EVERY game --- good, bad or neutral, as well as the level of allowable physicality --- and there is zero doubt that latter factor had a huge impact on the last game, including the TOs you mentioned. And as I specifically mentioned in the OP, the ultimate fault lies on OUR guys for not adapting and toughening up thru contact.

In other words, if "refs suck" is all you decided to get out of what I posted, then well... that's on you, bub.

Reactions: bobcrane14
Roy will have one more chance at an NCAA title before he retires and that will be next season provided the following happens:

Sharpe returns
Roy brings in a speedy point guard that can push the fast break and plays at least 25-minutes a game.

Kennedy Chandler is the type of point guard that Roy needs to bring in. Roy gets one more shot and that is next year. I don't know were in the heck Roy finds a player like Chandler, but I doubt he can win it with Love at the point. Just like Anthony, Love will be a better NBA player.

ADVERTISEMENT