ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (GW game)...

Grover, I have been pretty quiet about your bromance with Caleb, at times I wonder if maybe you are very young because at times it seems maybe you are not yet in high school, just finding UNC as your team and have bonded with Caleb as your guy. Most of us here are adults although at times we don't act like it, LOL. I consider Caleb based on how he played the last game, not how or what he did last season. In fact, how Caleb plays is drastically different within the same game, last night we saw bad Caleb and then we saw great Caleb and then it was back to bad Caleb? That is just what happened, not what I wanted to see and not what I didn't want to see, nothing more than what I saw.

Example, Caleb standing just our side of mid court, ball in his hands, no defender within 10", he dribbles it off his foot? How often do you see that from a guard in college basketball, not often at all, that is being extremely careless, something you can expect from a freshman but not a jr that has started for the last 2 seasons and started in the Natty game last season.

What I am saying is call the balls and strikes are they are rather than how you want them to be. No player is playing at the level that is above critique that points out real short comings, most will not over look the not great play from their preferred players and focus in only what they do well. So you set yourself up for issues when you spin Caleb in to the perfect player. The spotlight is always on Caleb so his mistakes are harder to miss than many others. Caleb made 7 of 17 shots last night, 5 or 6 of those came in that first 8-10mins of the second half, what about the other 30 mins or so, what about that whole first half?

As a team we took 60shots last night, between Caleb and RJ they took 30 shots, half of our shots from those 2. They shot a combined 11 for 30, that is less than 30%, as a whole the team shot 38%? We ALL know or should know that BOTH Caleb and RJ are VERY good OPEN shot makers but are far to often bad shot takers (Caleb when he is hot is a fantastic bad shot maker). We have a shot selection problem, we have had a shot selection problem since our starting back court has been at UNC. When your 2 guards are shooting less than 30% from the floor and knowing that many of our guards shots are long treys, we shot 25 treys last night and made 8. That means we had 17 missed treys that are usually LONG rebounds rather than the close at the rim rebounds that give guys Bacot easy tip ins or put backs and we ask why our rebounding numbers look off, why we don't get the offensive rebounds we are used to? LOL Those long rebounds tend to be snagged by the quicker to the spot guys and guys showing the motor to go get it. When a guy like Nance is being guarded by a guy 6'6" Nance is usually not going to be the guy quicker to the ball. When a long trey is missed, know who has the advantage to get the rebound, it is usually the shooter because he knows the angle of the miss and usually follows his shot miss, RJ does that a good bit, Caleb should do that more.
All I know is Caleb plays defense the entire game, he leads us in assist and do not lead us in turnovers.

Ok now to the lack of rebounding….Bacot will tell you himself he is not playing hard enough…he looks slower than last season and is not demanding the ball even against smaller less talented competition….It could be he is not well conditioned as of yet or he is bored with all this weak competition and is waiting for better competition

All I know is Caleb plays defense the entire game, he leads us in assist and do not lead us in turnovers.

Ok now to the lack of rebounding….Bacot will tell you himself he is not playing hard enough…he looks slower than last season and is not demanding the ball even against smaller less talented competition….It could be he is not well conditioned as of yet or he is bored with all this weak competition and is waiting for better competition
First of all, I love Bacot ... his career will always be remembered by Carolina fans, but he got punked over and over last night. Maybe he is indeed out of condition. Certainly looked like it. I fear he might have the Garrison curse of "preseason POY" and is assuming it will be given to him instead of earning it.
I trust the players will believe that they are beatable after we get curb-stomped by someone ... and we'll be much better by February. Go Heels !!!

Reactions: Archer2
First of all, I love Bacot ... his career will always be remembered by Carolina fans, but he got punked over and over last night. Maybe he is indeed out of condition. Certainly looked like it. I fear he might have the Garrison curse of "preseason POY" and is assuming it will be given to him instead of earning it.
I trust the players will believe that they are beatable after we get curb-stomped by someone ... and we'll be much better by February. Go Heels !!!
Bacot will come around…..you don’t average 13 rebounds a game and forget how to rebound.
It’s conditioning…..and that will get better

Now you're just trolling.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
A very weird game. Everyone offensively basically comes out to barely efficient besides Nance who was extremely efficient and prolific this game.

RJ missed some passes. Hustle was missing quite a bit. Bacot 2-9 for a big man versus a very undersized team is abysmal.

Leaky Black shooting like 60% from 3 this season while RJ is like 27% and Love is like 19% shows a lot. We rode 3 point shooting in our long run last year and died when it died last year.

There seems like no point for our subs to be even on the court most of the time. They are rarely given any usage in the offense. Nickel might as well not even be covered. He pretty much isn't going to get the ball. They swing away from him every possession he is on the court.

You have to actually let the subs be a part of the offense if you want to see contributions from them.
I forgot to mention Leaky's contributions, which were very timely and much needed.

Reactions: al would
Gary brother......, I feel your pain and most likely many others feel the pain as well.
6. Again, I repeat..., Armando cannot dribble and drive..., and particularly when he tries to start from above the foul line and even starting drives from the 3-point area. His game starts and finishes from the foul line in...., period.
7. They are not having fun playing-it shows. Most likely that's hard to see if you watch the games on TV. It is quite evident when viewing live in person.
Well, there it is, my friend, eh? Mando needs the rock DEEPER --- this "open lane" stuff can be counterproductive when you have the 5-man we have.

And the lack of fun IMO is inversely proportional to the amount of TRANSITION we execute. It also comes from guys not knowing their roles and/or getting enough run to get a rhythm. This three-Guard thing is clunky as sh** to be perfectly honest -- I mean, it's a far cry from Smith/Lebo/Hale back in the day, IYKWIM --- and again, Seth should NOT be running the Point in any configuration. Yikes.

But what drives me up a wall right now (and I know you're familar with this) is that coming out of camp we had a REALLY nice potential rotation that had established itself in practice --- Dunn and Trez earning first dibs off the bench, with Nickel and Trimble vying for good minutes next up (and waiting for Puff, of course). In these early games, we should be committed to 10+ minutes each for theh first two and somewhere close to that for the next. THAT's how you establish a rotation that will gel in January.

No passion while playing. Like they are too cool.

Secondly this offense has no easy basket aspect to it that teams have to defend first. Opening up everything else.

The secondary break would be perfect for this team.

Reactions: gary-7
I forgot to mention Leaky's contributions, which were very timely and much needed.
One of the few players that continues to play at a respectable level (shot looks much better .. need more aggression to the rim) and I'm really surprised he has not been more of a VOCAL leader of this "Dirty Dozen" looking team. Take that 7' reach and start poking some chest and getting in some face. If his effort and game was the face of UNC bball I could go back to taking UNC/over on sports book.

After that ish show they called a first half when we dropped mid 20's on a community college I thought wtf .. 2021 vu ja de . When the ef has UNC routinely started their offense without any player over 6' within 5' of the lane ??? And let's talk OBX star Bacot who has yet to show anything resembling something more than a college freshman? That first half running jump hook down the right side in the lane that barely made it to the basket was a fn embarrassment to him and all UNC bigs since the beginning of time .. but the OBX bleach blonde hair make's it okay. POY huh ??? If you don't have a cranial rectal inversion and start putting forth some effort your stock next level will be like crypto.

Don't even want to start on Hubert and his (lack of) prep, just fn random bench use and piss poor game coaching .. G7 and others did that justice.

Maybe after a couple real D1 teams hot wax what little hairs on their azzes with some 20+ point losses they will once again get a clue that nothing is given and everything will have to be earned. Though they would have figured that out after last season .. guess not.

Hubert made a good point about being the hunted. This squad has been forgotten nationally for a few years and it's easier to play with your back against the wall. It's human nature to fight harder from that position than working your tail off when you're at the top. That's what separates the greats from the could've been greats. I won't get too philosophical, but I think all of us can relate to that to some degree.

I've posted this in other threads so apologize for the redundancy.

I think the reality of this year's team will always be... They're not as mediocre as they were through the first 25 games or so last year. They're probably not as awesome as they were through the 10 games or so last year. They're probably somewhere in between. KenPom and Sagarin have them in the teens. So they're probably a projected 3-5 seed right now. And I think that's an accurate depiction. They're a 3-5 seed, but an extremely dangerous one come March because Caleb Love can be the best player in the country in any moment and Bacot can be the best big guy on the floor in any game. But Caleb can also be a negative on the floor at any moment too.

The loss of Manek is huge and he's almost irreplaceable IMO. Most of the players on this team are dudes who kind of need to dominate the ball to score. Love and RJ are definitely that. I think Bacot is kind of like that if he's not scoring off offensive rebounds. Nance was probably used to that at Northwestern. Someone like Manek who can score more points than dribbles per game is a huge miss. I think those kinds of players are becoming the most valuable commodities outside of superstar players. I might value him more than others, but it's a huge miss.

Really interested to see Caleb's efficiency this season. Part of me thinks him shooting 37% from 3 last year was a bit flukey. And if it was and he dips to the low 30's, we're going to have offensive issues all season. Without a high volume and efficient 3-point shooter like Manek, Caleb will probably have to take more hero shots.

Remember that this core (Bacot, Love, and RJ) were 8/9 seeds while playing together. Then they went on a magical run last year. IMO, it's a lot to expect for a team that's been 8/9 seeds the last two seasons, to become a #1 seed.

This team's probably going to have to be a lot better defensively because there are offensive limitations. But that's generally not how UNC teams are wired.

Also, pretty discouraging early season returns on Styles and Dunn. They continue to look like zeroes on the offensive end. Eventually a couple of bench players are going to need to become solid options. But right now, this team has 0 depth.
Your basketball IQ is the real ZERO 🤡

• Love
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
One of the few players that continues to play at a respectable level (shot looks much better .. need more aggression to the rim) and I'm really surprised he has not been more of a VOCAL leader of this "Dirty Dozen" looking team. Take that 7' reach and start poking some chest and getting in some face. If his effort and game was the face of UNC bball I could go back to taking UNC/over on sports book.

After that ish show they called a first half when we dropped mid 20's on a community college I thought wtf .. 2021 vu ja de . When the ef has UNC routinely started their offense without any player over 6' within 5' of the lane ??? And let's talk OBX star Bacot who has yet to show anything resembling something more than a college freshman? That first half running jump hook down the right side in the lane that barely made it to the basket was a fn embarrassment to him and all UNC bigs since the beginning of time .. but the OBX bleach blonde hair make's it okay. POY huh ??? If you don't have a cranial rectal inversion and start putting forth some effort your stock next level will be like crypto.

Don't even want to start on Hubert and his (lack of) prep, just fn random bench use and piss poor game coaching .. G7 and others did that justice.

Maybe after a couple real D1 teams hot wax what little hairs on their azzes with some 20+ point losses they will once again get a clue that nothing is given and everything will have to be earned. Though they would have figured that out after last season .. guess not.
This team will not lose by 20 points ever this season…bank on it

No passion while playing. Like they are too cool.

Secondly this offense has no easy basket aspect to it that teams have to defend first. Opening up everything else.

The secondary break would be perfect for this team.
This team is a great team…..they are just waiting to show it!

Dude, this is about WAY more than RJ.
Dude, this is about WAY more than RJ.
You are right…it’s about Mondo too…..but you are wrong about something….this is a great team in progress and Coach Davis is a great coach. Don’t criticize too much because you will have to get back on the bandwagon soon….just want to make sure it’s easier for you…my brother.

You are right…it’s about Mondo too…..but you are wrong about something….this is a great team in progress and Coach Davis is a great coach. Don’t criticize too much because you will have to get back on the bandwagon soon….just want to make sure it’s easier for you…my brother.
Again, dude... I am Hubert's biggest advocate. My critique is constructive, and frankly, spot-on. The staff needs to stop coaching "scared" basketball, vis-a-vis scared to develop our depth and a full commitment to transition basketball. Furthermore, this game had little to do with RJ dribbling, nor any individual player's foibles, for that matter. This is a TEAM game.

Again, dude... I am Hubert's biggest advocate. My critique is constructive, and frankly, spot-on. The staff needs to stop coaching "scared" basketball, vis-a-vis scared to develop our depth and a full commitment to transition basketball. Furthermore, this game had little to do with RJ dribbling, nor any individual player's foibles, for that matter. This is a TEAM game.
Gary I agree…..but you should know by now that once I come up with a nickname for a player…….I’m gonna wear it out for a while….so be patient and let me have my fun.

And remember when High hits campus….I’ll have new material….because how High can we go…how high is the ceiling for High?….is High a great highschool player?…just a few of my new material

I hope you're right. Have to see it before anything with Washington, but I'm just going to assume he's better than McKoy and can provide more punch off the bench.

I personally like Puff and think he has game. But over 1/2 his points last year came in 3 games (NC State 16 pts, Marquette 11 pts, Kansas 11 pts out of 75 pts for the season). Has to show it. He'll probably get more consistent minutes this season. We'll see if he can produce.
To be fair, we all have to wait and see with Washington, I feel I have a good idea of what he can bring us but will he, we do have to wait and see that actually happen before we know for 100% sure. Puff is wired as a scorer but it takes a while, as long as he was on the shelf last season (season before as well) he has not found his game rhythm yet, I feel great that he will and we have seen glimpses of that, we just need him healthy for a good run of games before he gets in to his groove.

Reactions: dlew71
JMU will be a tough game Sunday. They average over 100 ppg, 18 assists and 12 steals. Granted they have played weak competition but so has has UNC, and at least James Madison made their opponents look like weak competition. No question that UNC should win but the product they have put on the court so far will not win that game.

Reactions: Heels5150
JMU will be a tough game Sunday. They average over 100 ppg, 18 assists and 12 steals. Granted they have played weak competition but so has has UNC, and at least James Madison made their opponents look like weak competition. No question that UNC should win but the product they have put on the court so far will not win that game.
We will win by 30…..bank on it!

• Haha
Reactions: TarHeelFanWV
I'm not about bandwagons, nor the opposite --- I report what I see. This team came out of camp as a POTENTIALLY great team, if the right buttons were pushed and the guys embraced a sounder, deeper approach. Neither one of those things has happened yet, and although it's a process, we've played exactl;y one half of Carolina basketball so far --- and again, we're running out of directional/mid-major opponents to hone things on.

Hell, I wouldn't mind an early loss if it came as a result of growing pains in a commitment to get it right. Tuesday was instead a step backward in a win, and that is indeed disappointing.

The only shocking thing I read on this thread is SDung actually posting without the passive aggressive or outright nonsensical digs at UNC....Oh wait he couldn't resist saying we have 0 depth. Thanks for proving some things remain consistent! We have plenty of depth and this might be the deepest team in the last 15 years! The problem is health, consistent effort, and getting up to speed! All will be addressed in the next few games! We will lose eventually...so what! Losing and grinding out a less than stellar win are excellent teaching tools! Hubs will figure out some rotations and our players will figure out how to play UNC ball! We will be a high seed! Book it!

I personally like Puff and think he has game. But over 1/2 his points last year came in 3 games (NC State 16 pts, Marquette 11 pts, Kansas 11 pts out of 75 pts for the season). Has to show it. He'll probably get more consistent minutes this season. We'll see if he can produce.
Puff looked really good at the end of last season - but even then he was only shooting 25% from deep.

It worries me that Puff hasn't had a healthy season yet.

It also worries me that he hasn't shot well from deep yet.

Cam had injury issues for much of his college career, too, but except for his injury-shortened redshirt freshman season, he always shot well from deep.

Puff is quicker than his brother, especially on D, but needs to get healthy and find his shot. Do that and he could start next year. Otherwise he's relegated to being that occasional jolt of energy off the bench, mostly on D.

I really hope he makes it.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I’ll take the under for sure!! No way heels is winning by 30.. until they show me differently

We will be lucky to win Sunday
I'm confident we'll win, but there's no excuse if we don't blow them out.

That said, this will be our first non-creampuff of the year. Albeit not by much. JM started the season in creampuff territory (per Pomeroy) ranked #127. But after 4 wins, they've inched up to #81.

True, their wins were all over even creampuffier creampuffs than themselves, but those wins were also very convincing. Unlike our dismal efforts.

So yeah, we should beat them handily. But will we?

James Madison is currently rated #23 in tempo. Time was, the prospect of facing a team that liked to run would make our mouths water. With this team it's more likely to make our eyes water.

Winning margin:

Game #UNC W-MarginJM W-Margin
4--26

James Madison is currently rated #23 in tempo. Time was, the prospect of facing a team that liked to run would make our mouths water. With this team it's more likely to make our eyes water.
I remember in the tournament one year, I think it was against Wash. St., but they had some fans bragging that UNC hadn't seen a team that could run like them. They were shocked that UNC fans felt the faster the tempo the better our chances. We was right. And then there was the year that Paul Westhead believed that his Loyola Marymount could run UNC off the court. I really miss having teams when you knew before the game that win or lose you would see Carolina play with all out effort from start to finish.

A team trying to run at us will force us to use our greatest strength! Waves of interchangeable parts! This is a Godsend to me. I believe we will win handily and score in bunches! I know we will be even better after the experience.

Almost all of our problems are attitude related at this point, a “fat and happy” attitude after reading all the preseason accolades. This was foreseeable but I was hoping we had enough veteran leadership to avoid it, apparently not. Mando is MIA, both of our starting guards are playing hero ball. Waaaaaaay too much pointless dribbling, too little player and ball movement, no apparent desire to play defense or rebound. All attitude issues and it’s up to Hubert to fix them, starting with punishing lackadaisical play by sitting on the bench. Could we use a healthy Puff? Of course, I think he would help our perimeter shooting and our overall hustle. But we have plenty of talent, we just need to start playing “Carolina basketball” as Gary says. Back to the fundamentals of boxing out, better ball/player movement, sharing the ball more, playing inside/out first, commitment to the fast break, etc… What we’re seeing now isn’t Carolina basketball.
I am a bit surprised there's not more tactical benching. I think all the starters played the first 9-10 minutes of the second half. When they play super sloppy, why not sit guys a few minutes? I'd think that would help teach better habits.

Completely agree. This team looks to have the mentality of a team that thinks they can turn it on when they want. I do not think they are such a team. The guys are going through the motions thinking they are predestined to be in the FF where they will “get redemption” like the 2017 team. The problem is, the guys on this team don’t have the mental makeup of those leaders of the 2017 team. Theo and Joel, especially, knew that while they were on a redemption tour, they still had to put in the requisite effort to make it. This team looks as if they believe their season starts in March and they’re just doing exhibitions until then.

Bacot looks slow and timid. Clunky. Davis is thinking too much and not playing off instinct. Love and Leaky are doing Love and Leaky things but neither seem to be inspiring their teammates. Nance doesn’t really fit yet.

We need Puff. That may sound strange but if nothing else, Puff brings a grit and enthusiasm this team is sorely lacking.

Three point shooting is bad, rebounding is bad, spacing is poor, effort is weak, passing is late, drives are too manufactured.
This team is nowhere near the best team in the nation if what we really need is our 6th man to be good. We're supposed to have three guys near All-A.merican caliber. The poor play on both ends is really surprising. No ball movement, little transition, not a ton of defensive/rebounding effort, etc. Puff is good, but these guys should be good enough to take care of that on their own.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT