ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (marquette game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and in all honesty, instead of "stuff" I should've used the word sh**, because what we just watched was a big ol' steaming pile of it.

Accordingly, this won't take long. It was frighteningly apparent where this one was headed from my notes just from the first 3 minutes of the game. I benchmarked all the things that were good about Saturday --- effort, energy, focus, finishing, shooting, officiating crew --- and tonight these were all immediately just the opposite of good. We came out with sh** for effort and energy, right back to sh** habits in finishing at the rim, sh** for shooting and too often played like we had sh** for brains.... the sort of sh** you can't get away with in a game called by a sh** crew.

As for the latter, OK sure, the crew was so incompetent that they bear mentioning --- I mean I haven't seen that many lifted pivot feet since the last Rockettes Xmas special --- and Roy'd had about enough of them early on... but they were NOT what lost this game. Nope, that sh** was squarely on us. Apparently Saturday gave our guys a case of the big-head... that, or a group concussion.

I can also say that i wish we'd pressed them in the first half, because their ballhandling is sh**, and because of the agony of watching us sit there and let them dictate their tempo for 20 damn minutes. Would that have done any good? Not unless it got us out of our energy funk sooner --- but who knows?

Anyway, bottom line is that was an AWFUL late-season loss to a sh** team with a sh** coach that plays a sh** brand of basketball --- just an inexcusably bad performance that was a desecration of the Dean Dome. But [deep breath]... bad losses happen. So what can you do after one of these? Welp, here's when the time comes for the guys to do some collective soul-searching, as in: do ya wanna feel like you felt when you went to bed Saturday?... or the way ya feel right about now? You choose.

Now pardon me while I go erase this from my DVR, because I sure as sh** ain't watching it again....
😡

I'm so sick of Roy's 1985 brand of help defense I could puke. We can't shoot from the outside and we refuse to guard the 3 point line. Same old story line for the last 2 years. Effort,poor outside shooting,refusal to guard shooters and turnovers. It's a broken record.

I will add one other thing.... this team is not a likeable team. They have some of the WORST body language, looks, demeanor, attitude whatever you want to call it, of ANY Carolina team maybe EVER
#15 is the ringleader of the bad body language. Has been all year.

But yeah, I agree with your assessment of this team's likeability (same can be said for last year's team too).

#15 is the ringleader of the bad body language. Has been all year.

But yeah, I agree with your assessment of this team's likeability (same can be said for last year's team too).
Sadly I agree.

Unfortunately it seems there are players who believe the uniform gives them a right to be arrogant.... and yet they don't have the talent to back it up.... nor the humility to realise so.

I am also wondering if the 'giftedness' of the freshman class is leading to a divide within the team..... certainly I like to see them on the floor much more than the upperclassmen, especially that short run in the first half with Kessler and Sharpe in together.

I still don't want to see Caleb and RJ in together, but the front court could do with less upperclassmen minutes.

Reactions: Heelicious
As for the latter, OK sure, the crew was so incompetent that they bear mentioning --- I mean I haven't seen that many lifted pivot feet since the last Rockettes Xmas special --- and Roy'd had about enough of them early on... but they were NOT what lost this game. Nope, that sh** was squarely on us. Apparently Saturday gave our guys a case of the big-head... that, or a group concussion.
First time we had Dorsey all season, think about that.
22 games and some guys we have had 3 and 4 times, but this was the 1st time we had him.
You and I know the deal between Dorsey and RW.
I will be shocked if he's not back for the regular season finale.

Sadly I agree.

Unfortunately it seems there are players who believe the uniform gives them a right to be arrogant.... and yet they don't have the talent to back it up.... nor the humility to realise so.

I am also wondering if the 'giftedness' of the freshman class is leading to a divide within the team..... certainly I like to see them on the floor much more than the upperclassmen, especially that short run in the first half with Kessler and Sharpe in together.

I still don't want to see Caleb and RJ in together, but the front court could do with less upperclassmen minutes.
I wouldn't really say its arrogance more than just lack of intensity and too much pouting, but you're probably right about the divide between freshmen and upperclassmen.

The upperclassmen who play a lot, shouldn't. And it's obvious. I'm sure it's obvious to the freshmen too.

ETA: similar to last year's team, this year's team has no leader, has no "let me take over the game" alpha, can't run the floor like a typical Roy Carolina team, can't defend, and loses way too many games. Combine that with the aforementioned terrible body language.... it doesn't leave much for the fans to grab on to.

This team has a small margin of error. We cannot shoot it, on the rare occasions when we do we can go with most anyone, and look darn good. We have no real go to scorer, though and when things go sideways any decent team can make us look very bad.

Marquette matched up fine with us and is the exact same type of awful or good depending on the game. Today they whipped our behinds.

I will add one other thing.... this team is not a likeable team. They have some of the WORST body language, looks, demeanor, attitude whatever you want to call it, of ANY Carolina team maybe EVER
Yep - sucks to say this.... but often like several individuals who don't like each other much, don't want to listen to Roy (he said they ran a different set than what he called right after a timeout) and they look like they don't even want to be out there sometime. Brooks and Love seem like the ringleaders in this couldn't care less attitude. And Leaky looks disjointed too, like he's playing a different (iso) game on a different planet.

Screw that attitude then. Find five guys who want to be out there, who play for the team....including / especially when the team is down. Happy good time fun ball is easy when you're up 30.... when down by 15 to a mediocre team, not so much

Reactions: keysersosay#1
Pardon me as I let out one gigantic sigh.....

Once again Gary, I and, probably most others feel your pain. This was a disgusting
display of basketball all around.

Ineptness?, Jekyl Hyde?, Dual personalities?, Bipolar? Which to you describes this team most accurately?

Take your pick, or better yet, provide one of your own if it pleases you. I have said on several occasions that this team was not fun to watch, but I was coming around to enjoying somewhat watching them start to come together, and then this. Did they come into this game fat & happy as Roy is want to say after some defeats? I think that's a fair assessment, although it cannot explain the complete breakdown on both ends of the court that we witnessed.

We were atrocious and gave away, threw away, and bungled away this game at every opportunity, and that's what has my jaws hurting from gritting my teeth for 2 hours. Marquette led this game for the better part of 37 of the 40 minutes played, mostly by double digits, let that stew for a little while. The reverting back to playing so much like we played in games earlier in this season is disheartening and unacceptable.

I hate to refer to some earlier in year criticisms, but feel that it is apropos. This team lacks in overall BB IQ. Do you not agree that what you have consistently witnessed in more games than not ( even in some wins, not just losses) that there is a quantifiable degree of stupidity in the play of this particular team? Youth will be served assuredly, however, as most all coaches will confirm, there comes a time when that argument or excuse is no longer valid. We have played 22 games this season and are witnessing the same mistakes over and over. It's just insane, thinking you can make the same mistakes over and over and this time it will work, when it's never going to work period.

There is a problematic disconnect within this team and I don't know who or what it is, and it's not going to go away I am afraid. I know Roy well, and I know he is one of the best in this business and I will not brook any argument with that part of my belief, so, if you think differently, that's your prerogative, but, I know Roy is as confounded about this teams roller coaster of play as much or more than many of us are. He has to pinpoint the problem(s) and take decisive action. We took a blow concerning our NCAAT hopes tonight losing a Quad 3 game. We have to win at least 2 of the next 3 and get 1 or 2 in the ACCT to be comfortably in, IMO.

And, for those who think Marquette is a bad team? They have wins over better teams than we have this year. They have talent, we recruited the Garcia kid very hard. We got outplayed by a team that was not only capable, but proved they were. You don't win just by showing up with the Carolina uniform on, it's why we play the games. Our problem? We are just not playing them well consistently at all, but have a strong tendency to regress to, at times, horrific play.

ETA:
Our starting backcourt is shooting 37.5% for the SEASON. Out of 340 Div. 1 teams, ours rank 336th. That's a disturbing stat. Follow this with a team FT% of less than 70% YTD, and add in our almost 25% TO rate in so many games this year, you have a recipe that bakes out performances like these, and our guys have baked too many this year.

I am sure that it's specifically...., this time of the year that we start feeling the excitement grow as the regular season is winding down, the ACCT is at hand, and then follows March Madness. Well..., not so much for me, as I just feel tired and am fighting hard to not become disinterested in the whole shebang. I suppose that I will endure the next 3 games to close out this regular season, and will not be surprised at all, if this team comes out firing on all cylinders against FSU and wins that game. It's in this team's DNA judging from the overall view of the team's performances YTD.

Well, you just don't know what to expect from these guys game to game, and that's what makes watching them go up and down that makes you think WTH did I just watch? No continuity in play or development whatsoever this entire season is, I guess, the primary reason for my distress in watching them play.

Well..., I've managed to bitch, gripe, and complain to the point that I feel cleansed. Only thing I want now, is for my arm to stop hurting from my 1st COVID vaccination. I hope you guys can get yours ASAP, and maybe we can get back to a semblance of normalcy.

Last edited:
...and in all honesty, instead of "stuff" I should've used the word sh**, because what we just watched was a big ol' steaming pile of it.

Accordingly, this won't take long. It was frighteningly apparent where this one was headed from my notes just from the first 3 minutes of the game. I benchmarked all the things that were good about Saturday --- effort, energy, focus, finishing, shooting, officiating crew --- and tonight these were all immediately just the opposite of good. We came out with sh** for effort and energy, right back to sh** habits in finishing at the rim, sh** for shooting and too often played like we had sh** for brains.... the sort of sh** you can't get away with in a game called by a sh** crew.

I can also say that i wish we'd pressed them in the first half, because their ballhandling is sh**, and because of the agony of watching us sit there and let them dictate their tempo for 20 damn minutes. Would that have done any good? Not unless it got us out of our energy funk sooner --- but who knows?

Anyway, bottom line is that was an AWFUL late-season loss to a sh** team with a sh** coach that plays a sh** brand of basketball --- just an inexcusably bad performance that was a desecration of the Dean Dome. But [deep breath]... bad losses happen. So what can you do after one of these? Welp, here's when the time comes for the guys to do some collective soul-searching, as in: do ya wanna feel like you felt when you went to bed Saturday?... or the way ya feel right about now? You choose.

Now pardon me while I go erase this from my DVR, because I sure as sh** ain't watching it again....
😡
Great post Gary. I agree with all of it, and especially the tempo/press piece. That (pressing, trapping) seemed to work so well when we tried it. It seems like a way you can force some higher energy and movement into your team on the defensive end, instead of guys just flat footed, one on one, content to let Marquette to milk the clock down to ten before even looking to score.

Most of the guys on this team (and on most of Roy's teams - his lifetime defensive philosophy TBH) are too freaking lazy to play defense for 30 seconds - all five guys, let alone do it again for 20 seconds on an offensive rebound.

When we did press, it was way too late already.

OK - so we somehow will never learn and can never expect to guard the 3 point shot like literally every single other college team in the world somehow has figured out....

but on the offensive end, how hard is it to get the ball inside, where we have two bigs on the court at all times, where we have at least one (usually two) who have a significant advantage? How hard is that to tell the guards to do this, and teach one how to do it? WTF do we practice? How hard can it be to then catch the ball and finish like a man, over someone giving up 4 inches and 20 pounds to you?

Or to expect anyone to make two consecutive FTs once in a while, when fouled? This team is so maddening, from a coaching but maybe from a "coachable" standpoint. I hate that I think their attitude and demeanor sucks. Like someone else said, not a very likeable team. Not a cohesive unit. I don't know anything about it, but there seems to be some bad chemistry internal issues.

Reactions: Archer2
Pardon me as I let out one gigantic sigh.....

We have played 22 games this season and are witnessing the same mistakes over and over. It' just insane, thinking you can make the same mistakes over and over and this time it will work, when it's never going to work period.

Our starting backcourt is shooting 37.5% for the SEASON. Out of 340 Div. 1 teams, ours rank 336th. That's a disturbing stat. Follow this with a team FT% of less than 70% YTD, and add in our almost 25% TO rate in so many games this year, you have a recipe that bakes out performances like these, and our guys have baked too many this year.

Well, you just don't know what to expect from these guys game to game, and that's what makes watching them go up and down that makes you think WTH did I just watch? No continuity in play or development whatsoever this entire season is, I guess, the primary reason for my distress in watching them play.
100% Truth, 75. I stopped watching, something that l haven't done in a long, long time.
Bewildering.

Reactions: Tom79
"I am sure that it's specifically...., this time of the year that we start feeling the excitement grow as the regular season is winding down, the ACCT is at hand, and then follows March Madness. Well..., not so much for me, as I just feel tired and am fighting hard to not become disinterested in the whole shebang. "

It has gotten to a point over the last 2 seasons that it is agony. most have said it. This is the last bastion of sports for me. I have pretty much given up on all other sports. TH basketball has always been number one for me, but this is hard to watch. We play soft, afraid to fail, indecisive, easily spooked no effort. In one series we pressed, got 3 TO's in a row that resulted in getting the margin to 9 or 10 with about 8 minutes to play. I was excited. Marq called a timeout. Out of the timeout it was obvious that UNC was gonna press again, because when they didnt Hubert jumped out of his seat throwing his hands in the air and Roy just slapped his legs like WTF. 2 plays later, Davis gets the ball and dribbles up the court, Platek is uncovered on the wing because kessler is streaking down the paint, but since Davis doesnt pass the ball, kessler's effort was unrewarded. I used to be more excited to see Dook lose than UNC win. Right now...I would just like some consistency and effort.

We come out and the other team is more competitive out the gate. The other team time after time after time do the very same thing that results in scores, it is simple rinse and repeat if you don't even try to stop what they are doing. The fire in the belly is not there and we play like we expect to be able to show up and drill a team that is, just say it, a piss poor team. Don't do the little things like blocking out, hitting your free throws, or simply reading the rotations. Example, one of the many times Caleb gets beat on the drive, he just casually hangs around behind the driver (that I think Brooks had to pick up), guarding no one, didn't move a foot after his man just blew past him, not giving the thought of a kick out a single consider. Well of course, his guy after drawing Brooks over and Love eating pop corn while watching a game, kicks it back outside for another wide open trey. Yeah, I get it, you asking which time I am referring to because it happened time and time again? Why?

Hate to say it but I see 2 very real problems that watching this game showed to clear to mistake. Really poor leadership and honestly weak coaching. I hate to be that guy that calls Roy out, I didn't do that last season, I do realize that covid has changed things, but I do know this much, you just do not allow a team to keep doing the very same thing and not try to stop it. All Wojo's guys did was drive as deep as they could and kick it out to the shooter that is wide open because his defender left to help and no one felt it important to even get in to a passing lane?

Just not guarding is bad enough but to compound it with very careless passing, racking up the TOs is insult on top of injury. But the icing on the cake is for a reported really good shooter who is a senior, missing treys at 2 very critical points that just killed any come backs that may have happened? These games in Feb, you just do not lose to a weakened non-conference opponent on your own floor, where is the pride, where is the upper classman leadership?

Where is the coaching, you see they don't seem to be in it in your last couple practices and yet they still do not come out at the tip fired up and ready to play? Now you as a coach may not be able to control if a shot is going to drop or not but you darn well can control guys not playing hard, guys not paying attention, guys throwing TO after TO because they are so casual with the ball. I may have ended up with lebo playing the last 10mins of that game I I darn sure would have had 5 guys on the court that at least wanted to play and would fight with what was in them to fight with in all out effort. And those future pro players, well if watching a game rather than playing in it is what they want to do then I give them really great seats on the side lines and tell them get comfortable, does Hubert need to get you some pop corn and a coke cause you no longer need to worry about playing any more tonight. If my team is going to lose then they will do so with at least guys willing to give everything they have, guys that fight the best fight they have. I am not sure if I would have allowed a single one of our starters to play a single minute of that second half , you have to send that message and they have to hear it loud and clear.

One of the MOST troubling and sad things I heard last night in Roy's presser was his statement that the team after a TO did the exact opposite play that he had called in the huddle.. WHAAAAA??? This tells me one of two things, neither good at all.... One, they have tuned Roy OUT. Just NOT paying attention to what he says in the middle of a game. Or Two they have such a poor bball IQ that they cannot remember the plays they execute in practice and then repeat them in a game and get lost or confused. / Either way this is some thing I never thought I would see ,hear, or think about with Carolina basketball

Well..., I've managed to bitch, gripe, and complain to the point that I feel cleansed. Only thing I want now, is for my arm to stop hurting from my 1st COVID vaccination. I hope you guys can get yours ASAP, and maybe we can get back to a semblance of normalcy.

Agree with everything. Good luck with the arm - I've been told the second shot aches more than the first for a few days longer.

Reactions: dtodd4475
I had a little ache at the injection site.

Probably nothing compared to the team running today.

Reactions: Tarheel75
This team has a myriad of issues:

I think both Cole and Davis came into this season thinking this was their personal audition for the NBA. They are effective at times, but it seems every time either touches the ball they are looking for their option and passing as a last resort.
Brooks: I think he is lost mentally. He surprisingly turned into a very effective offensive player last year. To the point that some labeled him the pre season player of the year for the league. And that ship sailed long ago. And he finds himself not even the most effective big man on the team as Sharpe has turned into more of a force. I think he thought he was going to be the star and is a little disillusioned by it.
Leaky: I am really not sure why he continues to get the playing time that he does. Contributes nothing on the offensive end, but some say he is the defensive stopper. But I saw time after time last night a Marquette player take him right to the bucket with ease. Leaky just does nothing to make anyone remember that he is even on the court.
Kessler and Bacot: Kessler shows promise, but is as soft a player at this point as there is in regards to protecting the ball. Bacon is just inconsistent. Looks like an All American for a while, then turns into a foul machine that never rotates defensively the next.
Coaching: Roy has what he has. He recruited them. As with the previous two squads, the team as a whole is pathetically slow in regards to lateral quickness. This was what confused me last night as they decided to play tight man to man, even with the big guys, 30 feet from the basket. They didn't have a prayer of stopping penetration. Not sure who is in charge of free throw shooting, but maybe they ought to go back to whatever Dean's staff was doing 30 years ago when it seemed that every player on the team could shoot free throws.. And I think it may be time for Roy to shake of his staff. Something isn't working. Maybe bring McGrath back.
I would love to think that things would change this year, but I just don't see it with the exceptional game where they get uncharacteristically hot like they did against Louisville

Great post Gary. I agree with all of it, and especially the tempo/press piece. That (pressing, trapping) seemed to work so well when we tried it. It seems like a way you can force some higher energy and movement into your team on the defensive end, instead of guys just flat footed, one on one, content to let Marquette to milk the clock down to ten before even looking to score.

Most of the guys on this team (and on most of Roy's teams - his lifetime defensive philosophy TBH) are too freaking lazy to play defense for 30 seconds - all five guys, let alone do it again for 20 seconds on an offensive rebound.

When we did press, it was way too late already.

OK - so we somehow will never learn and can never expect to guard the 3 point shot like literally every single other college team in the world somehow has figured out....

but on the offensive end, how hard is it to get the ball inside, where we have two bigs on the court at all times, where we have at least one (usually two) who have a significant advantage? How hard is that to tell the guards to do this, and teach one how to do it? WTF do we practice? How hard can it be to then catch the ball and finish like a man, over someone giving up 4 inches and 20 pounds to you?

Or to expect anyone to make two consecutive FTs once in a while, when fouled? This team is so maddening, from a coaching but maybe from a "coachable" standpoint. I hate that I think their attitude and demeanor sucks. Like someone else said, not a very likeable team. Not a cohesive unit. I don't know anything about it, but there seems to be some bad chemistry internal issues.
Yeah... I understand what Roy is going for, but with a dribble-drive/kick-out team like that, in the past when we go with 2 Bigs, we've had more success with 21 (which maintains gap-help integrity, making them play surround-ball, mixed in with Scrambles that disrupt their tempo control. With 22 it just puts SO much pressure on our Help guys to cover more ground to recover to challenge shooters on skip passes or long kick-outs.

Exception that proves the proverbial rule, in the first half my coach bud I was watching with remarked "man, that was impressive" --- he was referring to a sequence where AP had come across to the ball-side block to help thwart a drive, but somehow managed to recover to thwart a 3-pt attempt on a skip-pass to his man who was stationed all the way across the floor backside. I mention that because he then said "i just don't know how you can keep that up for a full shot-clock". I agreed whole-heartedly. That's just asking a lot for guys to deny passing lanes, yet still recover for gap-help on drives AND stay connected enough to get back to their man who might be 30 feet away by then.

Add to that, one of our Bigs is having to guard a 6'6 guy, then that's even tougher to try to stay in 22. And as you said, if we can't take advantage of our inside mismatches by finishing at the rim? That's not a good equation.

I imagine Leaky and to a lesser extent Platek getting as much run as they do might be causing some tension . Like I said in game thread, there are possessions where it looks like Black is the focal point of our offensive sets.

it’s totally outrageous and if I was a more talented watching him play his typical below average game and continue to get massive run just because he’s a junior, I’d be not too happy as well.

I imagine Leaky and to a lesser extent Platek getting as much run as they do might be causing some tension . Like I said in game thread, there are possessions where it looks like Black is the focal point of our offensive sets.

it’s totally outrageous and if I was a more talented watching him play his typical below average game and continue to get massive run just because he’s a junior, I’d be not too happy as well.
100%. There is absolutely no reason why any screens are being set to put the ball in Leakys hands in an open catch and shoot situation. Ever.

We have players that are eager to succeed, you cannot tell me different. We have the nations most talented, heralded recruiting class. We have 3 returning starting front court players(one being preseason player of the year). Carolina has depth.

It is easy to always blame the players(because the first to blame the staff is finished). But the failure is the inability of the staff to teach execution. The job of a staff is to establish and refine execution so consistent performances become the standard. Roy provides a patterned system where the "players" refine execution thru playing seasons of games.

Just as an anecdote, there is no reason for a post player to be doubled and the offensive system not systematically create an open shot most of the time. Carolinas bigs have to assess teammates position, assess defensive position, and then make a decision on where to go with the ball. Well coached players know exactly where to go with the ball.

Reactions: bobcrane14
We have players that are eager to succeed, you cannot tell me different. We have the nations most talented, heralded recruiting class. We have 3 returning starting front court players(one being preseason player of the year). Carolina has depth.

It is easy to always blame the players(because the first to blame the staff is finished). But the failure is the inability of the staff to teach execution. The job of a staff is to establish and refine execution so consistent performances become the standard. Roy provides a patterned system where the "players" refine execution thru playing seasons of games.

Just as an anecdote, there is no reason for a post player to be doubled and the offensive system not systematically create an open shot most of the time. Carolinas bigs have to assess teammates position, assess defensive position, and then make a decision on where to go with the ball. Well coached players know exactly where to go with the ball.

Interesting observations.

Given the body of work since arriving @ UNC, are you suggesting that these areas are not, or have not been coached consistently by Roy and staff? How would a coach and his staff win 899 games and 3 NC's and not coach those areas mentioned on a regular and consistent basis?

There comes a time when the "rubber meets the road" when analyzing issues within team sports where multiple players are involved and I challenge you to make a case where coaching is the culprit and that the players are implementing on a game to game basis what they have been coached to do over 75+ practices to date.

Although Roy at times will admit to being outcoached, there are more times than not that this is not the case at all, but is Roy protecting his players from public criticisms.

The problem is not what or how they are being coached to play. The problems are elsewhere and it involves implementation.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel

Given the body of work since arriving @ UNC, are you suggesting that these areas are not, or have not been coached consistently by Roy and staff? How would a coach and his staff win 899 games and 3 NC's and not coach those areas mentioned on a regular and consistent basis?

There comes a time when the "rubber meets the road" when analyzing issues within team sports where multiple players are involved and I challenge you to make a case where coaching is the culprit and that the players are implementing on a game to game basis what they have been coached to do over 75+ practices to date.

Although Roy at times will admit to being outcoached, there are more times than not that this is not the case at all, but is Roy protecting his players from public criticisms.

The problem is not what or how they are being coached to play. The problems are elsewhere and it involves implementation.
Thank you sir, 100% spot on post.
The things some people say on here are beyond comical

Roy has been great with talented, 5 star players with 3/4 years of experience. Im speaking to the poor performances of 5 star players with little to no experience(like this year). This is not Roys first disappointing talented "young" team.

Roy said he was out coached last nite. He's said it many times before. Carolina was clearly out executed. We were never in the game. One team was producing clean open shots, the other was dribbling the ball randomly into teammates.

Implementation is a responsibility of coaching. That is the challenge of a staff. This bad loss is the product of 75+ practices or either the players have hi jacked the program.

Roy has been great with talented, 5 star players with 3/4 years of experience. Im speaking to the poor performances of 5 star players with little to no experience(like this year). This is not Roys first disappointing talented "young" team.

Roy said he was out coached last nite. He's said it many times before. Carolina was clearly out executed. We were never in the game. One team was producing clean open shots, the other was dribbling the ball randomly into teammates.

Implementation is a responsibility of coaching. That is the challenge of a staff. This bad loss is the product of 75+ practices or either the players have hi jacked the program.

If you agree that Roy has been great with "experienced 5 star talent" then why are you ridiculing his coaching of our so called 5 star inexperienced talent? Is it, that you feel and demand the same levels of play from both just because they are dubbed a 5 star?

Roy indeed has been upfront when he feels he has been outcoached and this is not a revelation nor should it be a focal point for criticism as many, many other coaches repeat that mantra in their PC's. Which leads me to these following questions, why were we not in this game? Was it because of bad coaching? Or perhaps could it have been extremely poor execution of what and how they have repeatedly been coached to play the game?

And, you are categorically incorrect that implementation is a coaching responsibility. The coaches devise the playbooks and teach the fundamentals, and run practices to teach them how to implement. It is each players responsibility to implement and carry out the teaching and instructions that are practiced over and over throughout the season.

And just an FYI, I have NO problem with constructive and sometimes painful criticisms where and when it is warranted. I myself have many, many times been absolutely critical of Roy and his coaching acumen on things such as TO's, 3 point defenses, substitution patterns, and who and how much court time some players
seem to get that I feel is detrimental to our play.

Also, I ask you this...were you of the same opinion after the L'ville game?

You too, are absolutely within your right, to state your opinions on the job you feel Roy is doing or has done, although you are just wrong with this one IMO.

Last edited:
my post was pretty clear. Not sure what you’re confused about, and there isn’t much about it that’s debatable.
No reason at all to say "Huh?". It was well written. Platek and Black are abysmal on offense and overrated on defense. Last night they combined to shoot 2 of 8 with 4 rebounds and 4 turnovers. An average night for both of them. And neither Platek nor Black had an assist. So if Platek makes a brilliant defensive rotation, it is certainly negated by launching a brick from 3 amidst a second half comeback

Against Louisville the frontcourt (I'm including Brooks, Bacot, Sharpe, Kessler, Black and Platek playing the 3,4 and 5 slots) had 16 of team's 29 assists. Heels shot 42/69. Against Marquette those 6 had 3 assists of the 13 total. Heels shot 25/60.

The staff didn't forget how to gameplan or coach in those few days. As others have said there is a huge disconnect. I read somewhere that after a TO the players set up in wrong defense. That shows zero leadership on the court. I always thought staff's job was to prepare the players for the game. Execution falls to the guys on the floor. Those guys dream of playing basketball for a living, if they cannot get themselves mentally ready at the tip off that is on them.

I only played basketball through high school but I never had to rely on a coach to get me fired up to play. The games were fun because the practices were brutal. The up and down performance this late in the season to me indicate the team has no leadership in the locker room. Roy will say he was outcoached but in my mind the players owe an apology to the guys who have gone before them for performances such as Marquette, UVA and Clemson.

As someone once said, "college basketball is about the name on the front of the jersey". Let dook and uk have the OAD guys looking to brand themselves, I want the gym rats and the guys playing with a chip n their shoulder.

With respect to the 5 stars, I dont remember if was an article or whatever but they were discussing the reason why duke and UK were struggling this year and I 100% agree. Every year there is say 25 5 stars, but probably only 7-8 or so are ready to be a star and lead a program with elite talent. Those top 5-7 or so ranked guys in country are usually the elite ones and id say there is a bigger disparity between them abd the lower ranked 5 stars, theb there is say some guy ranked 25 and some guy ranked 60. Kentucky doesn't have any this year, Duke was supposed to have one but he is a team cancer. Even if there is what a combined 12 5 stars or so between the 3 of us, none were the elite 5 star like Cousins, Wall, Tatum, Zion, Barrett, Davis and what Cole was supposed to be b4 the injuries that lead a team. The lower ranked 5 stars come in and don't make a huge impact like possibly Love or Sharpe, Nas, BJ Boston, Jalen Johnson, etc, but they are one abd done anyways. One and done teams are really only sustainable if you get multiple top 10 players, not just multiple 5 stars. Sorry for the long post, but I do agree w that assertion and id probably take a bunch of guys ranked in the 60s who will be here for multiple years then lower ranked 5 stars who are just meh for a year then leave. Roy has shown as good of a recruiter he was and kind of still is, that even he gets burned by players like this, especially if our so called system takes long to adjust to.

my post was pretty clear. Not sure what you’re confused about, and there isn’t much about it that’s debatable.
Not debatable? You stated an opinion that playing time allotted to Platek and Leaky is causing "tension". Who knows if there is even tension on the team, much less what would be causing it, assuming there is. But for you to think that your opinion is not debatable is as arrogant as anything Gary has ever posted, and that is saying a lot!

Reality is that your absurd invented narrative is not shared by anyone on the team, thankfully.

reality Is that platek/black aren’t really Unc level players . I suppose the “creating tension” part is somewhat debatable but then again witnessing the talent/playing time gap and dichotomy occurring with these two vis a vis some other guys, it definitely isn’t a stretch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT