ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (marquette game)...

If you agree that Roy has been great with "experienced 5 star talent" then why are you ridiculing his coaching of our so called 5 star inexperienced talent? Is it, that you feel and demand the same levels of play from both just because they are dubbed a 5 star?

Roy indeed has been upfront when he feels he has been outcoached and this is not a revelation nor should it be a focal point for criticism as many, many other coaches repeat that mantra in their PC's. Which leads me to these following questions, why were we not in this game? Was it because of bad coaching? Or perhaps could it have been extremely poor execution of what and how they have repeatedly been coached to play the game?

And, you are categorically incorrect that implementation is a coaching responsibility. The coaches devise the playbooks and teach the fundamentals, and run practices to teach them how to implement. It is each players responsibility to implement and carry out the teaching and instructions that are practiced over and over throughout the season.

And just an FYI, I have NO problem with constructive and sometimes painful criticisms where and when it is warranted. I myself have many, many times been absolutely critical of Roy and his coaching acumen on things such as TO's, 3 point defenses, substitution patterns, and who and how much court time some players
seem to get that I feel is detrimental to our play.

Also, I ask you this...were you of the same opinion after the L'ville game?

You too, are absolutely within your right, to state your opinions on the job you feel Roy is doing or has done, although you are just wrong with this one IMO.

Roy is in agreement with you that freshmen cannot execute his offense at a high level. Caleb Love can't do it, neither could Marcus Paige. Roy said reporters questioned his judgement on whether Paige would ever be successful. Paige was successful with experience so Caleb Love will be also(just not this year or next). Everyone is thus protected by this assessment(players: too inexperienced and coaches: everything's on schedule, dismiss any changes). However, staff could accept the challenge, that "experience" is not the only solution.

Otherwise, Roy should hire a direct assistant(he would have a socially distanced seat between Roy and Frederick at gametime). Quality Control Basketball Systems Analyst in charge of(400k would land the countrys best) implementing successful offensive/defensive systems. This would place direct responsibility on implementation. Roy and staff can then, just coach since you stated, its not part of their responsibility.

Roy is in agreement with you that freshmen cannot execute his offense at a high level. Caleb Love can't do it, neither could Marcus Paige. Roy said reporters questioned his judgement on whether Paige would ever be successful. Paige was successful with experience so Caleb Love will be also(just not this year or next). Everyone is thus protected by this assessment(players: too inexperienced and coaches: everything's on schedule, dismiss any changes). However, staff could accept the challenge, that "experience" is not the only solution.

Otherwise, Roy should hire a direct assistant(he would have a socially distanced seat between Roy and Frederick at gametime). Quality Control Basketball Systems Analyst in charge of(400k would land the countrys best) implementing successful offensive/defensive systems. This would place direct responsibility on implementation. Roy and staff can then, just coach since you stated, its not part of their responsibility.

I don't remember saying that freshmen cannot execute this offense at a high level. Most cannot due to the shock of difference in playing basketball from HS/AAU to college. Usually, the most improvements in an individual player comes from the freshman to sophomore jump, if most of our young ones stay another year, we MAY see a greater improvement in their play. What has to concern us all, is their inability to make the needed improvements in their fundamentals to date.

After 22 games one would certainly expect that there would be less TO's, better flow offensively, consistent defensive play, consistently better spacing, better concentration at the FT, line with more makes. What we have witnessed in totality this year are complete breakdowns in almost every facet of the game, and this after 75+ practices can lead one to call into question the collective IQ of our players. The extremes of up and down play are a definitive explanation of low BB IQ when you will not, cannot, or lack the understanding of what has been coached and thus cannot implement what is being taught.

Remember..., what I said about Roy and his coaching staff's winning 899 games and 3 NC's. It's not coaching..., it's the inability of the players to implement what the coaches have taught.

A turnover plagued offense who’s inability to shoot and defend the 3 will likely lead to another missed tournament.

I love RoY, but gosh darn it......it’s 2021 and we play a terrible version of 1970s basketball. Too much help d that leaves the 3 wide open all game, every game. Too few 3 point shooters on our roster.

I don't remember saying that freshmen cannot execute this offense at a high level. Most cannot due to the shock of difference in playing basketball from HS/AAU to college. Usually, the most improvements in an individual player comes from the freshman to sophomore jump, if most of our young ones stay another year, we MAY see a greater improvement in their play. What has to concern us all, is their inability to make the needed improvements in their fundamentals to date.

After 22 games one would certainly expect that there would be less TO's, better flow offensively, consistent defensive play, consistently better spacing, better concentration at the FT, line with more makes. What we have witnessed in totality this year are complete breakdowns in almost every facet of the game, and this after 75+ practices can lead one to call into question the collective IQ of our players. The extremes of up and down play are a definitive explanation of low BB IQ when you will not, cannot, or lack the understanding of what has been coached and thus cannot implement what is being taught.

Remember..., what I said about Roy and his coaching staff's winning 899 games and 3 NC's. It's not coaching..., it's the inability of the players to implement what the coaches have taught.

Ok. So its the players fault for bad fundamentals. Experience rules the day. The system/process is excellent, needs no improvement.

This product is not all the players fault.

Carolina basketball is a product, the current result reveals an incomplete system. When he has experienced, talented players, Roy has his plan, process, development, training, implementation, testing of the system, adjustments/improvements. He can run the whole system. But when he doesn't(like this year), he can't get past implementation.

Coaching is responsible for corrective action. It is not left up to players.

Ok. So its the players fault for bad fundamentals. Experience rules the day. The system/process is excellent, needs no improvement.

This product is not all the players fault.

Carolina basketball is a product, the current result reveals an incomplete system. When he has experienced, talented players, Roy has his plan, process, development, training, implementation, testing of the system, adjustments/improvements. He can run the whole system. But when he doesn't(like this year), he can't get past implementation.

Coaching is responsible for corrective action. It is not left up to players.

Far from it by me, to agree that improvements are not in order, that's an area I completely agree with and if I know this staff as well as I think, then they are
working to correct the disconnects. The "system", as you refer to it, is, in fact an excellent one and no one can dispute this when you you look at the entire body of work over Roy's tenure. Are tweaks and adjustments needed?, perhaps, however, when you have tweaked until you just about run out of tweaks, what then?

If you think his system is somewhat antiquated, I will go along with this, as Roy has admitted in his last PC that he needs to make adjustments, but has to figure out what they need to be. Any coach with experienced and talented players are going to be more successful, that's common knowledge and has been proven not only in past seasons, but even in this season.

What I look at when I evaluate this teams play, is their ability to learn from mistakes and blunders that lose games, and if they are implementing what and how they are coached to do and play. Just in his last PC after the Marquette game, he mentions that he called a play and they went directly and and ran an entirely different play. What does that reveal to you? Ask yourself, have they listened as they should, have they learned from previous mistakes and bad play, and have the realistically implemented coaching by the product they have shown us and brought onto the court?

And..., maybe we are not as talented as many think that we are...? Is that a fair statement?

reality Is that platek/black aren’t really Unc level players . I suppose the “creating tension” part is somewhat debatable but then again witnessing the talent/playing time gap and dichotomy occurring with these two vis a vis some other guys, it definitely isn’t a stretch.
It is beyond a stretch, it is downright silly.
Set up a new account just to troll, huh? SMDH.

Just in his last PC after the Marquette game, he mentions that he called a play and they went directly and and ran an entirely different play. What does that reveal to you? Ask yourself, have they listened as they should, have they learned from previous mistakes and bad play, and have the realistically implemented coaching by the product they have shown us and brought onto the court?
Roy usually falls on the sword, but this is pretty telling to me that he would mention this.

Are these guys just not "getting it", or did they deliberately decide to ignore their coach and run something different?
If it's the former, then let's hope that they "get it", and real soon.
If it's the latter, then some dudes need to be running till they puke, or getting some splinters today.

Reactions: bobcrane14
It is beyond a stretch, it is downright silly.
Set up a new account just to troll, huh? SMDH.

lol Now I get it. I read back through your previous “quick stuffs”, and boy, you sure do love giving Platek serious credit just for being able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

your not exactly what I’d call an objective observer when it comes to these two players. Thusly, not even worth having a discussion over as you’re quite clearly blind when it comes to this topic.
Have fun.

Roy usually falls on the sword, but this is pretty telling to me that he would mention this.

Are these guys just not "getting it", or did they deliberately decide to ignore their coach and run something different?
If it's the former, then let's hope that they "get it", and real soon.
If it's the latter, then some dudes need to be running till they puke, or getting some splinters today.

Roy cannot fall on that sword, so to speak. Particularly when you have given specific instruction to run a certain play, and then have that instruction disregarded and run what you want to? Na, nope, Nada, Hell NO.

And yes, I do not think that you will see this happen again with this group according to what I have heard about how it was addressed, and I am sure that there was puking involved at some point.

If you have the time..., go find the PC with Roy of the aftermath of the Marquette game, it is quite revealing.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT