ADVERTISEMENT

Video Game Tournament- Arcade/Other Region Nominations

tarheel0910

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
Earth
Use this thread for your Arcade/Other game nominations. As a reminder, this covers all versions of Arcade/Other consoles and franchise games will be grouped as one entry. You can make an unlimited number of nominations. If you want to add games after your original post, do so in a new post. Don't edit your original post. Nominations will close tomorrow at 10:45 post meridiem.

I'm nominating some that were extremely popular and/or brought something new.

Gauntlet (four players could play as long as they could afford.)
Ms. Pac Man (the premise of Pac Man with several mazes and without the screen 255 glitch)
Donkey Kong (brought us "Mario" but also just extremely popular.
Star Wars (but only the machine with the cockpit)
Galaga (Fairly basic premise, but still popular today.)
Double Dragon (first two-person, fighting game that I remember)
Out Run (or Pole Position, for a driving game)
Dragon's Lair (laser disc, plus hand drawn animation art--on the downside, the first $0.50 game I remember)
Frogger (best soundtrack of early arcade games)
Golden Tee (I actually never played it, but popular)
NBA Jam (I didn't play this much either, but another popular sports arcade game)
Centipede (gave us the trackball and was the first game designed to appeal to women)
Super Off Road (race two of your friends around dirt tracks with jumps!)
Track & Field (one of my favorite games. I think drummers had the advantage when you had to alternately hit the two buttons to build up speed.)

Mine are mostly from the early days of arcade games because that was when I was in the arcades. I left off some of the originators because I wasn't sure they would have a chance at "best." They'd probably go farther in a "most significant" tournament.

Angry birds
Age of Z
Solitaire
Pokémon go (never played it. Had to include due to storys of how people trespassed)
Farmville
Metal of Honor franchise
Command and conquer franchise
Doom (original FPS, historical ground breaking for video games)
Polybius (check out the story)
Total annihilation (awesome mech overlord game)
Mortal Kombat( due to popularity in arcades)
Star trek TNG episode 106 "The Game"

Golden Tee was never interesting to me until I found out how much money middle aged dudes were gambling on it at bars.

Alright. The votes have been counted. The seeding for the region is as follows:

1. Donkey Kong
2. Pac Man
3. Galaga
4. Street Fighter
5. Frogger
6. NBA Jam
7. Golden Tee
8. Doom

Tiebreakers were used to determine the 5-6 and 7-8 seeds. I will set up a separate thread for votes on the matchups.

They're decent. It's just that I'd take 6 or 7 games from the PS/Xbox and Nintendo regions over any of these.

And I needed to keep my promise of bitching about something at some point.
NBA Jam is an all time great game. Pac Man is a really good contender. That would make this region more like the ACC. Your argument was more like the Pac 12

ETA: I do agree that this is probably the weakest region.

Yeah I think it's super top heavy. NBA Jam and Golden Tee are two of my all time favorite games...some of the others are weak.

Alright. The votes have been counted. The seeding for the region is as follows:

1. Donkey Kong
2. Pac Man
3. Galaga
4. Street Fighter
5. Frogger
6. NBA Jam
7. Golden Tee
8. Doom

Tiebreakers were used to determine the 5-6 and 7-8 seeds. I will set up a separate thread for votes on the matchups.

Not having a driving game was a miss by the committee.

Reactions: Heelicious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT