ADVERTISEMENT

Visit updates

Justin Taylor on campus today. Four-star (SF, 6-foot-6, 200 pounds), St. Anne's-Belfield School, Charlottesville, Va..

Anyone? Beuller....

Derrick Lively on Saturday...
Taylor is going to be a heck of a college player, think we have a great shot at him if we can keep him away from Tony Bennett. Love Lively but my guess is he does not end up with us. The kid from just outside of Asheville (Green), may still be ranked a 3 star but don't let that fool ya, I would love to see Hubs add him (I will be VERY surprised if we don't get this kid). Love to get Stoudt as well (we seem to be a very good position for this kid to), should be room for all 3 big men because we will lose Manek and very very likely Bacot after next season.

D I have a weird feeling about Green, he could be a beast for us or go against the grain and go elsewhere. For a kid that wants to play for UNC he had an odd take on one interview I read. And I do agree with you on Taylor, likeable ball player there.
The PG in '22 was crystal balling at 100% UK and now it is uk 70% UNC 30%, a few of those '22 kids may see the light and come on to the Hill. Lively has a real interest in us, I like the 7' er. And a couple of the kids are back on to us after the initial telephone contact by Coach Davis. They say he knows how to "get after it". Ya know?

D I have a weird feeling about Green, he could be a beast for us or go against the grain and go elsewhere. For a kid that wants to play for UNC he had an odd take on one interview I read. And I do agree with you on Taylor, likeable ball player there.
The PG in '22 was crystal balling at 100% UK and now it is uk 70% UNC 30%, a few of those '22 kids may see the light and come on to the Hill. Lively has a real interest in us, I like the 7' er. And a couple of the kids are back on to us after the initial telephone contact by Coach Davis. They say he knows how to "get after it". Ya know?
Only reason I didn't include a PG in the class I am thinking we end up with is, while I 90% do believe Caleb BLOWS UP this coming season, that will be a LONG way forward from what we saw from the kid last season. I do think Caleb can morph from this past season to the next in to what may be a lotto level player. I just have to see it happen first just because last season was so hard to watch from Caleb.

Reactions: shun1
Saw Jalen Washington put a photo of him in a Carolina uniform on social media but added the hashtag, #notcommitted.

Not reading anything into that but that was one of the quietest OV's I've seen in terms of buzz or hype.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Saw a mention of a him and his visit.
"Chapel Hill what's good?" Washington wrote in an Instagram post with multiple photos in front of UNC's signature Jordan Brand sneaker wall located inside the Dean E. Smith Center. Washington added an eyeball emoji and a ram emoji.

Green is a solid player but with him changing his visit to a later date he may miss the boat….. I think State has a good chance to get him as well. I also think he wants to experience all his visits and be recruited.

Green is a solid player but with him changing his visit to a later date he may miss the boat….. I think State has a good chance to get him as well. I also think he wants to experience all his visits and be recruited.

Not so sure.

It was due to a family issue, no?

So let's allow him to change his visit and see how it works out.

You could be right - time will tell however.

Only reason I didn't include a PG in the class I am thinking we end up with is, while I 90% do believe Caleb BLOWS UP this coming season, that will be a LONG way forward from what we saw from the kid last season. I do think Caleb can morph from this past season to the next in to what may be a lotto level player. I just have to see it happen first just because last season was so hard to watch from Caleb.
Yep, a very underwhelming performance for a 5* PG. He has an awful lot to learn to become a top level college PG, let alone one in the pros. I imagine he’s gone after this coming season regardless.

Saw that Traudt had a, "great" visit at Creighton and Trimble had a, "great" visit at Marquette this weekend. Haven't heard yet about Taylor at UNC but I'm guessing it was, well, "great".

Love the buzz around Washington's visit. Sounds like it went really well.

I can't help but be excited about Coach Davis recruit approach.

Meaning you don't believe we will get him or that Bruce Pearl would never do such a thing?
Bruce Pearl is top 5 dirtiest coach currently in the game. We all know that. He’s been at two P5 schools and had both of them under NCAA investigation for wrong doing. Saying that his assistant at Auburn went rogue is BS. Pearl was dirty at UT and he’s dirty again at Auburn. It’s not like he’s just unlucky and had a couple rogue assistants. What’s more likely is he intentionally makes up his inner circle with like kind people to help do his dirty work.

I have no first hand knowledge of Bruce Pearl or his ethically makeup but I tend to agree with you. Often past performance is the best indicator of future practices.

I'll be surprised if Gary meant anything other than he doesn't think we are in a good position for Zion Cruz.

Meaning you don't believe we will get him or that Bruce Pearl would never do such a thing?
Whether or not he would or wouldn't, Pearl is on a short leash where he is now. If you want to source those sorts of "checks"?... well then drive upstate to a campus about 2-1/2 hours or so northwest of there.

And although ya never know, no, I don't see us getting Cruz at this point... but with that said, hopefully no pressing need to do so.

Bennett is a good recruiter and an excellent coach, so losing out to him carries no shame! I feel optimistic about this one for some reason!

The kid is in a really good place though and he can't go wrong with either program!

Family is paramount though and I hope it is the game changer!

I still think it will be tough for Hubcap to keep Taylor from the Cavaliers.
[Taylor quote from TOS]

"Speaking with [Davis and Lebo], their message has been to have me be the main guy at the shooting guard position."

It sort of sounds like Taylor thinks he's been promised something.

What does that mean for the other dozen wings on our roster?

I mean Kerwin and Taylor could be a nice pair of wings, if Kerwin's shooting continues to be strong, and if Taylor can do the same. But what about Harris, Puff, Dunn, (and Leaky could still be here, and we might have someone else in the 2022 class)?

Could be a typical teenager ( I work with them everyday, lol) who interprets everything they hear to their own advantage. They might hear something like, "You have the skill to start on our team" and think it means, "starting is guaranteed". I do not believe Hubs would stray so far from the Carolina Way and start promising starting positions! Taylor could work his way to being the man on the wing, but he would have to earn it at UNC! Taylor = 2/3 and Leaky = 3/4-they can coincide. Walton at 2; Taylor at 3; Leaky at 4 = they could coincide. Puff is a 3/2 also with the emphasis on 3 so he could find a spot in this rotation too! Dunn/Harris as 2/3 with the emphasis on 2 are also in the mix. It sounds like a good problem to have! I'm hoping Walton blows up and answers some of these questions!

Derrick Lively on campus Tuesday
As in today?

Fingers crossed.

Does he think he's OAD? He looks good, but not (yet) OAD, to me. Don't want another kid who isn't quite good enough as a frosh, but then doesn't stick around when he would be perfect for us as a soph. Looking at you, Bradley, Little and Kessler.

I’m not sure any of the three weren’t good enough as freshmen, but our need was greater the following year. We would all be speculating as to whether they would have played more under Hubert than Roy, but my bet is the last one would have.

Picked up an offer from dook and Kentucky and has OVs planned to both later this month. Not certain that he sees himself as OAD but he is a top 50 player and, after all, don't they all? Would love to have a rim protector like him lurking in our paint!

[Taylor quote from TOS]

"Speaking with [Davis and Lebo], their message has been to have me be the main guy at the shooting guard position."

It sort of sounds like Taylor thinks he's been promised something.

What does that mean for the other dozen wings on our roster?

I mean Kerwin and Taylor could be a nice pair of wings, if Kerwin's shooting continues to be strong, and if Taylor can do the same. But what about Harris, Puff, Dunn, (and Leaky could still be here, and we might have someone else in the 2022 class)?
There is some context MIA here, I am sure and would agree, the kid would be considered as our main guy at the 2 or maybe the 3. But that does not mean that projection is for his freshman season because I can assure anyone, if Walton is here when this kid would be a freshman, Walton is our go to shooter and IMO if he isn't, Dunn would be, and Harris could be by then. But now by the time Taylor is a college Jr I could see him being a go to shooter and maybe our best option as outside shooter.

As for UVa, who I do think is our biggest challenge for the kid, you have to wonder, is the kid more offensively orientated or defensively, I suggest he has more a scoring than defending mindset and that may not fit UVa as well as what Hubert is looking to do for us. Most kids want to play more in more tempo higher scoring games than in so many that have a final score of 52-50.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT