ADVERTISEMENT

Walker Kessler entering transfer portal per his Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
very disappointing season for brooks. he looked like a completely different player compared to last year. what the heck happened?
Brooks was terrible chunks of last season as well, particularly when Cole came back. He’s not super talented but his attitude/mental toughness were the bigger problem to my eyes. He seemed to suck the energy out of the team somehow.

Fans usually seem to think coming back for an extra year will benefit the player and help improve the player's draft stock. That is not always true. Brooks is a recent example of how coming back and having a bad year can destroy draft stock. He might have been a second round pick last year and this year he has no chance of getting drafted. Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot unless getting that degree is your priority over NBA dreams.

So about 24 hours since things started blowing up yesterday, no more transfers (at least to our knowledge) are we past the storm ???? Or is more coming

you handled that so much better than I thought you would! Good job! It's a shame there's nobody here to sweep out the trash anymore.

You guys remember that line from the movie Stripes where this weirdo private is telling everyone he's going to kill them if they touch him or his property. Remember what the sergeant said which is very apropos to your comments about me being trash. That is "lighten up Francis". To say that no one can question ACC coaches is analogous to saying you can't differentiate between the moon and sun unless you're an astronomer. I question many things keatts does,too. I thought that was a reason we had a board to discuss things. And guess what I enjoy hearing views from different people unlike the world we live in today where we most think the same. I really did not enjoy seeing this kid leave because I thought he was extremely talented and would enjoy watching him play in the ACC. As we all know the quality of players this year in the league is not what it used to be.

You guys remember that line from the movie Stripes where this weirdo private is telling everyone he's going to kill them if they touch him or his property. Remember what the sergeant said which is very apropos to your comments about me being trash. That is "lighten up Francis". To say that no one can question ACC coaches is analogous to saying you can't differentiate between the moon and sun unless you're an astronomer. I question many things keatts does,too. I thought that was a reason we had a board to discuss things. And guess what I enjoy hearing views from different people unlike the world we live in today where we most think the same. I really did not enjoy seeing this kid leave because I thought he was extremely talented and would enjoy watching him play in the ACC. As we all know the quality of players this year in the league is not what it used to be.
You must be related to Roy Williams!
and that's your idea of "discussing"? Looks like an attack on him more so than a discussion on events.

Geez, I had to check and make sure I had not got on Rupps Rafters rather than THI, this fan base today is just as if not more insecure than Kys and that takes some doing.

I hate that we are losing a special young talent like Kessler, enough with the he will stink where ever he goes, he will be very good no matter where he plays. Roy has been trying to deal with this one for a while now, his pops and uncle believe the kid is a stretch 4/5 and maybe in time that is what he can become, he just was not ready to be that this season. You folks watched the kid play this season, you tell me, did you really want to see Kessler pumping up treys all season? You going to come on here and tell us the game has passed Roy by because he didn't want Kessler out pumping up treys all game long?

You guys, lets see what words of wisdom I have read here today, in addition to Kessler it is Sharpe is 100% gone to the NBA, Love is either going NBA or transferring, RJ is transferring, as is Ant, and someone even told us Leaky is transferring, some big guy told him that? But by far the most entertaining is those that state as absolute fact that the game has passed Roy by, that it is time for him to hang them up and spend his time working on his handicap...

I love this one, folks here seem pretty adamant that they do not want UNC to turn in to a 1&D factory like duke and Ky yet just this past season Roy gets the #1 or 2 freshman class in the country (depending on who you ask) and I would ask, exactly which one of those very talented players did you not want Roy to sign when they were being recruited? I don't recall a single Tar Heel fan upset that we signed Love, Kessler, Sharpe, or RJ? Why, either you want Micky D level talents or you don't? I do see constant Monday morning QBing going on when some of those same players have a bad game?

Yeah, the game has passed Roy by for sure because the game has radically CHANGED IN THE LAST 3YEARS, I guessing those that seem ready for Roy to leave now were all for him when we went to back to back final 4s and won our natty what, 3 years ago? I have seen folks lobby for Nat Oats to come in and Roy step down, I forgot, how many natty does Nate Oats have again? Are those the same folks that really wanted Shaka Smart to be our head coach one day, you know Shaka don't ya, he is the guy that Texas fans are running out of town today? As for Nate Oats, do you really want to see UNC go small and have their entire roster pumping up treys because that is what Oates does, don't have a lay up then pass it to someone that will take a trey.

Really ashamed today to be associated with some of these folks that claim to be Tar Heels because what I see today is not in any way Tar Heel like, the wuffies are looking for fans so are the dukies, PLEASE see if they will take you.

For those that are Tar Heel blue, tough day for sure but let's let this play out and ease up on the worst case speculation as being fact and see what we are working with after all the smoke clears. But PLEASE STOP with all the nonsense knee jerk worst case speculation and trying to say it is sourced from within the program.

Wish I could "like" this post a million times. Spot on.

Pretty disappointing to see folks ******** on a guy who gave 4 years to UNC, during some of the program's most trying years, while showing a ton of loyalty to a kid who decided to leave the program. That is some fair weather fan BS! Brooks had a bad year of course and we all wish he had played better, but he has given way more to the program than Kessler was ever ready to give it seems. If I had to pick between those two guys today, I would take Garrison in a heart beat over Kessler. Garrison has shown his loyalty and that should be respected way more than some of you are doing.

Since I am a nutjob, i am on a couple other message boards, this is from the other site, take it for what its worth, who knows ..
"I’m very close friends with a former Tar Heel star player. He is very close with a UNC assistant coach. Last night i was told that the situation is “ ugly “ . We are losing our entire front court with the 50% exception of one, and that one depends on whether intel suggests he’ll be a top 20 draft pick. Also “ highly likely “ our starting PG will enter transfer portal, and a key role player is also considering a transfer. I was told inroads were being made with a major incoming transfer who is a stud in the Big East. Apparently this kid has loved UNC his entire life. Don’t shoot the messenger, but my source has never given me false information. It’s panic time on the message boards so I’d figure I’d share a little information I was given. Oh and was told “ no way in hell “ Roy is quitting. More driven than ever to get this back to good"
"

Since I am a nutjob, i am on a couple other message boards, this is from the other site, take it for what its worth, who knows ..
"I’m very close friends with a former Tar Heel star player. He is very close with a UNC assistant coach. Last night i was told that the situation is “ ugly “ . We are losing our entire front court with the 50% exception of one, and that one depends on whether intel suggests he’ll be a top 20 draft pick. Also “ highly likely “ our starting PG will enter transfer portal, and a key role player is also considering a transfer. I was told inroads were being made with a major incoming transfer who is a stud in the Big East. Apparently this kid has loved UNC his entire life. Don’t shoot the messenger, but my source has never given me false information. It’s panic time on the message boards so I’d figure I’d share a little information I was given. Oh and was told “ no way in hell “ Roy is quitting. More driven than ever to get this back to good"
"
Any intel as to what might have caused this possible mass exit?

Dang! for real for real.....?
I like Roy. I rebuke any evil tongue speaking, thinking n wishing evil against him.....

tenor.gif

I spent years on TOS and I can say with 200% certainty that their "sources" turn out to be made up basement vent garbage most of the time! Who believes the friend who is friends with an unnamed coach anyway!

Kessler leaving was a complete shock to me as I had him pegged as a surefire star next year and the type who didn't need sunshine blown up his arse to be happy! This shows how much us outsiders really know and not how "bad" our HOF coach is! I love the blood sweat and tears that Brooks gave us and I will celebrate him as a true Tar Heel for the rest of my life! I will miss Kessler, but he made himself an afterthought to me. He and TB are once Heels that I will note if they do something, but have no stake in their success or failure! I truly hope he finds what he needs, but he will most likely be very successful no matter where he goes!

Love doesn't look like a transfer to me, but if he does I wish him well! I hope Puff and Big Ster are healthy enough to have productive off-seasons and come back ready to roar!

If Brooks and Platek come back, I will be very happy and expect them to grow even more into perfect role players for the Heels! Sorry if they don't always meet your body language expectations!

Sharpe going Pro shocks nobody who paid the slightest attention; he has a man's body and will be picked in the first round. I'm sure Roy told him to at least test the waters and will do everything to help him land at a great spot!

Roy lied to a recruit is preposterous in the extreme! One of the tenets that DES established is that we do not promise playing time OR promise a recruit how he will be used! Comparing recruits to former players is standard practice all over the bball world and is NOT the same as saying you will play just like the guy! Telling them they could earn a starting spot and they could see double digit minutes is our practice, but it is contingent on practice, health, and game performance.

Name one coach that could be more successful than Roy without compromising our Family!

I could name a dozen that have been put forward (some by me) and say with confidence that I would take Roy over all of them!

I expect us to keep the improvement going and to be a real contender next year! We have a great core returning; excellent recruits already on board; and a master evaluator with free reign using the transfer portal! Boy do things look bright going forward!

If you want Roy gone, you never were a Tar Heel Family member so your opinion doesn't matter anyway!

Go Heels and Go Family!

I spent years on TOS and I can say with 200% certainty that their "sources" turn out to be made up basement vent garbage most of the time! Who believes the friend who is friends with an unnamed coach anyway!

Kessler leaving was a complete shock to me as I had him pegged as a surefire star next year and the type who didn't need sunshine blown up his arse to be happy! This shows how much us outsiders really know and not how "bad" our HOF coach is! I love the blood sweat and tears that Brooks gave us and I will celebrate him as a true Tar Heel for the rest of my life! I will miss Kessler, but he made himself an afterthought to me. He and TB are once Heels that I will note if they do something, but have no stake in their success or failure! I truly hope he finds what he needs, but he will most likely be very successful no matter where he goes!

Love doesn't look like a transfer to me, but if he does I wish him well! I hope Puff and Big Ster are healthy enough to have productive off-seasons and come back ready to roar!

If Brooks and Platek come back, I will be very happy and expect them to grow even more into perfect role players for the Heels! Sorry if they don't always meet your body language expectations!

Sharpe going Pro shocks nobody who paid the slightest attention; he has a man's body and will be picked in the first round. I'm sure Roy told him to at least test the waters and will do everything to help him land at a great spot!

Roy lied to a recruit is preposterous in the extreme! One of the tenets that DES established is that we do not promise playing time OR promise a recruit how he will be used! Comparing recruits to former players is standard practice all over the bball world and is NOT the same as saying you will play just like the guy! Telling them they could earn a starting spot and they could see double digit minutes is our practice, but it is contingent on practice, health, and game performance.

Name one coach that could be more successful than Roy without compromising our Family!

I could name a dozen that have been put forward (some by me) and say with confidence that I would take Roy over all of them!

I expect us to keep the improvement going and to be a real contender next year! We have a great core returning; excellent recruits already on board; and a master evaluator with free reign using the transfer portal! Boy do things look bright going forward!

If you want Roy gone, you never were a Tar Heel Family member so your opinion doesn't matter anyway!

Go Heels and Go Family!
bo you nailed it. too many bandwagons. peeps want roy only when he win. they bash when he lose

Go Heels and Go Family!
I think the overwhelming majority of fans don't want Roy gone. There is just a part of the fan base that wishes he would be more like Dean and make some adjustments to adapt to the game as it's played today. That's something that Dean was great at and I think a lot of people think that's a weakness for Roy.

I personally think it's a weakness because he's never been forced to do it. A lot of Dean's adjustments came as a result of rule changes. Basically the only major rule change that has happened for Roy is the shot clock getting shorter. That's never been an issue for him because he wants to run. The focus on the three for the past five or so years, is something that has had a direct impact on his philosophy, but since it's come so late in his career he's kind of just sticking to what he knows instead of adjusting.

I'm just worried about him ending up in a Bowden situation where he doesn't recognize that he needs to adjust until it's too late and he ends up going out on a bad note. I want him to go out on a high note.

i love Roy, i think he's been a phenomenal coach and ambassador for our program for a very long time. that being said, you can be a great coach, but also have the game pass you by and that's where we are now. It can go one of 2 ways really. it's quite simple. Roy has got to evolve and install schemes that match our roster. If he doesn't we will continue to struggle because his old, tried and true system of 2 back to the basket bigs, an elite PG, and a shooter haven't been commonplace on our roster in a while. Let's just be honest. At his age, is it worth it? If I'm him, I'm honestly not sure and that's saying a lot because I think he's the ultimate competitor.

Reactions: Heelicious
"

Garcia possibly?

Thanks for the reasonable responses to my somewhat rantish take!

I appreciate the debate, however I take a real issue with the concept that "the game has passed him by". Roy forced Wisconsin to adjust to him and play 2 bigs! Roy's teams have won against all styles lately. BTW: others don't play 2 bigs because they don't have them or their smalls are better! Our kryptonite has been teams with experienced, strong guards who also have either shooters OR + defenders! Guess what, that has also beaten every other team! It isn't on Roy that he has consecutive teams with youngsters on the perimeter. It is the vagaries of recruiting! I grant that Roy was slow to adjust to modern recruiting and this may have impacted who is on our team, but the game itself is no mystery to him! It must really stick in his craw that he has to deal with overbearing parents who think they know the game better and prima donna youngsters who think their sh*t doesn't stink! It is also true that current young people think they shouldn't have to work OR wait for anything! Tell me the coach that can deal with that!

(puke = transfer U + kentuck = pros are more important than the u! + they both sux!)

I'll take The Tar Heel style over all others!

once upon a time freshman did not play...that changed...then the hardship rule becomes OAD...NOW, transfers/graduates do not have to wait a year.....Coaches no longer have the leverage over their rosters even though all the UNC players=RW's credit or blame...My frustration with him is the PG(trying to fit square in a round puzzle piece)..Dexter Strickland like Caleb Love - each not a true PG) and in today's climate you only get one year to SHINE...Coby did well but you cannot count on that with each recruit!..Coach RW did he "promise"-insuinate-suggest a Luke maye role?..I wasn't there but I can understand(the Father's unhappiness) if RW was in my home with me and my wife and son and said..look at luke maye-this what w hope to accomplish"...even Ralph Sampson liked shooting from the outside, nowadays, players are gonna move until they find a NBA type approach

Gonzaga insiders supposedly are saying Kessler will announce for them if Few wants him, but that he is tied up with the tourney right now to evaluate it. That Kessler's first choice is Gonzaga.

I have also heard Kessler is going to Auburn and Love to Missouri.

*shrug*

Gonzaga insiders supposedly are saying Kessler will announce for them if Few wants him, but that he is tied up with the tourney right now to evaluate it. That Kessler's first choice is Gonzaga.

I have also heard Kessler is going to Auburn and Love to Missouri.

*shrug*

Man, not good

Wait GONZAGA??? That team along with Carolina is one of the only ones left that still plays back to the basket bigs .Roy commented on that as he is a good friend with Few and they have talked about being the last of a breed that plays that style and now he is gonna go THERE??? I find that very hard to believe. IMO he is going to Ga he has HUGE family ties there and needless to say it will be FAR easier for his family...who is obviously playing a BIG role in al of this.. to see him play

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Found this exchange on twitter between Nas Little and a fan. Very interesting.

Food for thought: Dissecting tweets without context is not always the best. On the other hand, only Nas knows what he really meant.

The issue primary issue with Kessler was not playing time. The primary issue was how he was used and how he will be used going forward. Lack of playing time contributed, especially the performance of Brooks, which was far below expectations and that is probably a gross understatement.

This is what Roy told Kessler when he was being recruited:

“They showed a bunch of film of Luke Maye and said, 'This is literally how we are going to use you,'” Kessler said when he committed to UNC in September of 2019. “They said I was a bigger Luke Maye, 'this is how we want to use you.' Being a big that can shoot and stretch the floor was really appealing.”

And for those of you who say Kessler would transition to the Luke Maye role over time I say that is hogwash! If Roy Williams talked Jr/Sr year with a 7-foot All-American, he would have never signed with UNC in the first place.

Rumor has it that Kessler is considering Gonzaga. Would Kessler play behind Chet Holmgren at Gonzaga if he is used the way he want to be used, I'm thinking yes.

As pointed out above, Kessler deserved more minutes than Brooks the latter part of the season but Roy was too stubborn to make the adjustment. The Brooks fox trot annoyed me all season. Brooks performance based on expectations has to be the biggest flop in UNC history. For all of us who said Brooks would improve his NBA stock by coming back, we were wrong. If anything, it was the opposite.

On a positive note, if "my guess" is correct you can pencil in RJ, Harris and Walton as 3 of the starters next year which will be one of the best in the ACC. The Transfer Portal is going to be wild! I'm already hearing there are some guys that want to play for UNC. I'm cautiously optimistic! Roy can be very selective. Let's see how this thing shakes out! As Scarlett said in the greatest movie ever "Gone With The Wind"..."Tomorrow is another day"

If holmgren and kessler are on the same team? and if Suggs stays to play with best friend holmgren....Gonzaga might go back to back.

Zags are about to make a 2-3 year run that will be about as good as anybody has ever had in college basketball

They might get Sallis too! WOW! Few is killing it!

One of the small number of coaches who I really believe do it the right way and I feel like I can respect them without reservations! I truly hope I never hear he cheated and I hate that this was even a thought, but that is the world I am forced to live in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT