ADVERTISEMENT

Watching the basketball game and saw

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
that a GT football recruit had been killed by a train. 17 years old. Planning to enroll for Spring and get his college career started.

RIP Bryce Gowdy

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
What are you doing on a railroad track at 4:00am?
Now there is a report that it may have been suicide - he had been dealing with depression of some kind.

There is a huge amount of depression among the young.

Now there is a report that it may have been suicide - he had been dealing with depression of some kind.

I just can't understand this, because the young today have it easier than any previous generation. Could it be because we're just not teaching children how to rationally deal with adversity? I think it must be.

I just can't understand this, because the young today have it easier than any previous generation. Could it be because we're just not teaching children how to rationally deal with adversity? I think it must be.
Depression isn't just about how easy someone has it. It's about a chemical imbalance among other things. Narrowing it down to what you are saying is just not accurate in the vast majority of cases. I'd be willing to bet that it was just as common for your generation. You guys would just keep it to yourselves because it was taboo. Unfortunately it still is (especially for males), which causes a lot of issues. Not just suicide, but addiction issues as well.

Last edited:
Depression isn't just about how easy someone has it. It's about a chemical imbalance among other things. Narrowing it down to what you are saying is just not accurate in the vast majority of cases. I'd be willing to bet that it was just as common for your generation. You guys would just keep it to yourselves because it was taboo. Unfortunately it still is (especially for males), which causes a lot of issues. Not just suicide, but addiction issues as well.
And drug and alcohol abuse, even mild abuse, can cause depression and other mental illness. We finally have medical experts talking publicly about marijuana psychosis and the violence it can trigger.

I had a neighbor whose son committed suicide via a train as well. Man that has to be a horrible way to go. Thoughts and prayers for the young man’s family as well as anyone dealing with depression (cause it’s no joke).

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I had a neighbor whose son committed suicide via a train as well. Man that has to be a horrible way to go. Thoughts and prayers for the young man’s family as well as anyone dealing with depression (cause it’s no joke).
The family will never get over it. Some of them will always feel that they should have seen more than they did and then solved the issue.

That rarely is the case.

I certainly feel bad for the kid and family, but especially the train engineer. While I doubt he felt anything like you would in a car, he will probably not be able to shake it from his mind for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT