ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early polls for 2021

Let's see what the two major polls rank us. I think they will probably have us in the 11-13 area. Top 10 kind of worries me. Not sure we could handle those expectations.

Any other year I'd agree with you as I prefer them to kinda fly under the radar rather than be in the limelight with high expectations, too. But, we're in a different world now so we all have to get used to them being propped up and playing on the big stage. Have a ton of returning pieces but the off-season will be utilized for both the incoming freshman getting acclimated to the college game as well as Sam building chemistry with Khafre, Rose, Downs, Simmons and Nesbit. Also need to figure out what we're going to look like in the backfield. I hope they go ahead and land one of these transfers in the next week and get them on campus to start building relationships within the offense. UNC football is on the rise and expectations are sky high -- it's go time for the program.

I couldn't agree more. We have the biggest piece to the puzzle in Sam and we only have him for 1 more year. We need to win 10+ games and challenge Clemson for the ACC championship. In 2022, our defense will be better, but QB will be a question mark.

I couldn't agree more. We have the biggest piece to the puzzle in Sam and we only have him for 1 more year. We need to win 10+ games and challenge Clemson for the ACC championship. In 2022, our defense will be better, but QB will be a question mark.

Drake will be fine as he can learn the system this year and be ready to roll next year. Dude is a baller. Agreed about this year, need to win 10 and the Coastal. D will be completely stacked the next 3 years.

Let's see what the two major polls rank us. I think they will probably have us in the 11-13 area. Top 10 kind of worries me. Not sure we could handle those expectations.
Makes me a little nervous too, but I'm gonna embrace it since we are a football school now! (we don't even receive votes in basketball anymore... :confused: )

Best thing that happened (for next year) was last year the Heels climbed into the top 5 then lost. They should be able to handle it better knowing what it takes and need to bring it every day in practice and every game day.

FWIW, here's a composite list of way too early rankings...

#6 - 247Sports
#7 - ESPN
#9 - CBS
#10 - Athlon
#11 - USA Today
#14 - Bleacher Report
#18 - SB Nation

There may be additional changes with new recruits / transfers.

FWIW, here's a composite list of way too early rankings...

#6 - 247Sports
#7 - ESPN
#9 - CBS
#10 - Athlon
#11 - USA Today
#14 - Bleacher Report
#18 - SB Nation
My gut says the average is about right, 13. With the potential to break into the top 10. We have some tough road games.

Georgia State
WF
at ND
Wofford
at GT
at NVSU
d00k
FSU
Miami
UVA
at Pitt
at VT

My gut says the average is about right, 13. With the potential to break into the top 10. We have some tough road games.

Georgia State
WF
at ND
Wofford
at GT
at NVSU
d00k
FSU
Miami
UVA
at Pitt
at VT

Pitt is losing their 3 best defensive players.

ND is losing their QB, 9 defensive starters, 2 WR's and 4 O, they will obviously reload but the big ? mark is QB.

VT is losing their best defensive player, RB, 7 guys on D, best OL and has the 10th best ACC class coming in

GT has been recruiting better but still has a ways to go

State has talent coming back on D but how will Leary look after the ACL tear and who's gonna catch the ball?

Duke will be bad. Wake? Meh.

FSU has a completely new team and will have to buy into the HC and gel.

Miami has talent, as usual, but will they ever maximize it?

UVA- We've gotta get over the hump and beat those guys.

No reason why they shouldn't win at least 10 games. It....is....time.

Reactions: heelfan1961
I'm concerned with our lack of returning production at RB, Carter and Williams will be tough to replace. Brown and Newsome were two of our best receivers. I think they'll be a little easier to replace but it's still a big task.

TBS, I think our lines will be improved. I think our defense will take another step forward, hopefully our ST's will too. We're starting to get some respect. Now, we have to show it's warranted.

As stated above, we can't afford to play down to our competition or have "off games".

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I'm concerned with our lack of returning production at RB, Carter and Williams will be tough to replace. Brown and Newsome were two of our best receivers. I think they'll be a little easier to replace but it's still a big task.

TBS, I think our lines will be improved. I think our defense will take another step forward, hopefully our ST's will too. We're starting to get some respect. Now, we have to show it's warranted.

As stated above, we can't afford to play down to our competition or have "off games".

Not concerned now with Chandler joining the backfield. He can get on campus here shortly and get acclimated to the system and the play calls. Love having a guy with that kind of experience leading the backfield. Hood will get some burn this year also and is enrolling early which will benefit him this season. Staff is also really high on Edmonds which comes from my neck of the woods, built just like Javonte.

Dyami and Dazz both were prone to dropping balls earlier in their careers. If the young guys hit the Jugs machine all summer then I feel confident that at least a few of them will be ready to go. I expect Khafre and Simmons to both be monsters. And they have the experience of Corrales and Walston in the passing game to help ease the transition. They got some quality reps this year and showed enough flashed to warrant optimism.

Picking up an experienced back will definitely be helpful. Truth be told, I'm hoping that at least one of the young guys Mack recruited ends up being better than him. But having a back with a lot of experience at this level significantly helps our chances of avoiding a slip up early on while the young guys develop.

I feel the Longo O needs a power back like Javonte for some of the inside runs. Not that carter wasn't pretty good in all facets.

I feel the Longo O needs a power back like Javonte for some of the inside runs. Not that carter wasn't pretty good in all facets.

You're in luck because both Hood and Edmonds are 230+ and are built like mack trucks. Chandler is built more like Carter and we're most likely getting another Carter type in Pettaway for 2022. Future is bright via the skill positions for UNC.

Notre Dame, like us is in single-digits in several rags, low teens in others. That late Oct game will be huge. We have Wake at home the prior weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT