ADVERTISEMENT

We all should agree

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
and I stress should - that we should be 3-0 right now.

Yes, the team, especially the offense, looked totally uncoached for 3+ quarters against Cal, and the D looked the same way most of the ECU game. The 2nd half at ECU, the entire offense seemed clueless.

And those things make my point: if this were a well coached team, exact same players but well coached so the team plays consistently, we'd be undefeated heading into Miami. And that would mean that with a full roster returning, we'd be sitting very pretty to finish strong, with a shot at the Coastal title.

But the way things are, we cannot know for certain how the team will show up and play in any game, or any half.

The suspensions are a great highlight to the fact that Fedora teams are terribly lacking in discipline. You see it in penalties, as well as in the trashing of the Dook locker room, as well as in issues of player brush ups.

I think Larry Fedora has ADHD, and that his teams reflect it. Fedora is our Todd Hoffman of Gold Rush fame. Each is a silver tongued guy who talks a beautiful dream and persuades many people to go along with him, a guy who keeps getting ahead of himself or off track in some way, because that is what ADHD people do: they lack focus for the long haul and lack a sound ability to learn from their mistakes and make lasting changes. And they tend to grab hold of some notion and hang onto it come Hell or high water, the only lasting focus they have being something that might have made sense at one point but becomes a crippler after that one point. So they draw followers easily and with charming personality keep them, even as they lead them through downs that could have been avoided and certainly should have been ameliorated.

If you are going to go Gold Rushing and you get to pick to play for Todd Hoffman or Parker Schnabel or Tony Beets, and you choose Todd, you deserve to get dragged into a South American Hellhole and lose your shirt all because Todd's current dream is to mine the Amazon. Todd is what Todd is.

My comment before the season on what I think the Shoe suspensions would mean to the team was that if Fedora had decided that his offense was going to run by Surratt, who was going to run a whole bunch, then our start to the season would be impaired. Dog with-bone-in-mouth-and-head-under-fence Fedora would be torn between freezing into doing nothing with his great plan delayed or else reacting frantically, each leading to chaos spreading.

Well, neither Fedora nor his BFF OC Kap looked like they even knew we were playing a live game against Cal, until the 4th quarter. Nobody seemed to act as if we were playing a real game against ECU (save Freeman Jones).

We could play Miami tough and take it to the wire, or we could get bulldozed. Fedora could learn something from both the losses and the Pitt game, or he could ignore them completely to play out his dream of what should be. Fedora could learn from last year and the start to this season and have the team playing brilliantly at Miami, and then have it looking like crap against both VT and Syracuse.

That is what should be expected from a coach who has ADHD.

Drink bleach
So you think we have not underachieved at 1-2, looking AWFUL for 3+ quarters vs. Cal and against ECU? Or you think it unpardonable sin to reflect on our losing games, year after, we could have won? Or you, like a feminazi, lack a sense of humor and willingness to allow those with whom you disagree to speak?

Oh, now I see: you are still reeling from the fact that Todd Hoffman is not going to be on Gold Rush this year. I encourage you to become a fan of Rick Ness.

Respectfully, every team in America could list all the things that go wrong when they lose to try and justify why they should be undefeated. It’s simply not reality. Things happen on and off the field. You don’t execute, you have a terrible game plan, etc, you lose.

And that leads to this question: will we be chastened from the awful start to the season, or will we be a bit satisfied with the big win?
Glad to get the W, but definitely not satisfied. It’s likely to be our only conference win. Who knows? I think tonight will tell us a lot. I don’t expect the Heels to win but they have played Miami close over the years so I hope to see a solid effort. No moral victories but if the Heels can make a game of it, I can accept that.

Glad to get the W, but definitely not satisfied. It’s likely to be our only conference win. Who knows? I think tonight will tell us a lot. I don’t expect the Heels to win but they have played Miami close over the years so I hope to see a solid effort. No moral victories but if the Heels can make a game of it, I can accept that.
I think you are correct that tonight would tell us a great deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT