ADVERTISEMENT

We've been told for years that basketball can help football recruiting

Roy might be ending the end of his rodeo. Good time for unc to become a football school.what would have happened the first time Mack was here if he would have stayed, dean left, the doh collapse and the FSU downfall?

At least one National title if not more.

I am still trying to figure how that game happened.

Chris Mack is a very good coach, and he is going to have Louisville back hovering around the top before too long. But that does not explain how poorly UNC played today.

Roy might be ending the end of his rodeo. Good time for unc to become a football school.what would have happened the first time Mack was here if he would have stayed, dean left, the doh collapse and the FSU downfall?

At least one National title if not more.
That timing is true. If Mack had stayed, Dean retiring plus Bobby Bowden clearly starting over the hill in 2001 would have meant both that UNC students and Tar Heels fans would have become more focused on football and that UNC would have replaced FSU at the top of ACC football.

we've also been told for years (on this board and tos) that basketball success has harmed carolina football, by spoiling fans and drawing interest away from football, in which case disappointed basketball fans may now look to football for gratification. both theories can be argued. my theory is that football will succeed or fail on its own merits. independent of basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: franklin street
I highly doubt UNC ever becomes a "football" school, but I do think we can reach a point where they are competitive on a consistent basis in football. The program is heading in the right direction right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT