ADVERTISEMENT

What about Georgia Tech?

Dec 5, 2005
They have always been tough for us. We are 3-7 in the last 10 years. I hope the Heels don't take them lightly like maybe ASU. This is an absolute must win for us.

Probably so. GT simply does not have the horses on offense to do anything but be mediocre at the triple option.

Understand what you’re saying but we weren’t supposed to have the horses either against Clemson

New Coach trying to replace a triple option offense with a pro-style scheme without the receivers, QBs, or OLs to do so plus a defense that was predicted to be Gawd awful even without a coaching change.

Just listened to Mack’s analysis of the game. Man, I love his attitude and approach to the game. It must be great to play for him.

He mentioned GT still has quite a bit of option plays in their playbook as they’re transitioning to a new scheme.

This is a game we should win, but we’ve struggled mightily to win in Atlanta(1 win since Mack was last here?). So we’d better be ready to play because we’re not good enough to be able to overlook anybody on our schedule.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Despite how bad GT may be, the Heels are 1-9 in Atlanta since Mack left 20 years ago. And that was in 2015 (our best team in 20 years), when we fell behind 21-0, IIRC, and came back to win 38-31.

This week will tell us a lot about this team: will they practice and prepare as hard for GT, as they did for Clemson? Will they learn not to overlook an opponent (which I feel they did for Wake and App)?

Stay tuned, and as always... GO HEELS!

New Coach trying to replace a triple option offense with a pro-style scheme without the receivers, QBs, or OLs to do so plus a defense that was predicted to be Gawd awful even without a coaching change.
And because PJ ran his option without a TE, the new staff arrived and found no TEs left on the roster. They converted a couple of RBs.

All of those issues are the reason that no GT fan should be wondering about the need to panic. That is a total rebuilding job, and it will be Year 3 before anybody can get a solid handle on whether Collins is the right coach.

So we should handle GT rather easily.

But if the young guys feel good about themselves for nearly beating Clemson, they could set themselves up to lose to GT. They must focus on the fact that they are playing to win the Coastal, which is obtainable.

Love that avatar!

Roy was emphasizing the need for more consistency from game to game in the article/video titled "Mack midweek..." He knows we have to "bring it" every game and not overlook or underestimate any opponent. Now the staff must communicate that to a group of young men who, being young, tend to have short attention spans. Sounds like he's sending a strong message to that effect.

He said he told the team something to the effect that he "was taking the 45 players who practiced the best this week to Atlanta, if you don't practice well, you stay home". Good stuff, make sure you watch the video.

Overall, Heels are 5-16 vs GT since Mack left in 97; 1-9 on the road.

This ineptitude CANNOT continue. It would be pathetic to follow up last weeks effort with a loss to the yellow jackets.

I sure hope our guys take Mack's words of wisdom to heart, and realize that they can't overlook any team.

Reactions: Archer2
I dont think so anymore. That was the previous regime under horse-arse paul johnson. It looks like they have a coach trying to run a normal offense now; no more of that 1940's high school crap.
Hope you're right Mark. I dreaded those chop blocks every time we played Tech, they were an injury waiting to happen to our OL.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Hope you're right Mark. I dreaded those chop blocks every time we played Tech, they were an injury waiting to happen to our OL.

Clemson threw a few the other day that scared the crap out of me. I was just waiting for a lineman to be slow getting up. And I have only watched one GT game (vs Clemson) and it looked like they were still running a good bit of option plays, now just RPO’s not the triple. Bateman should have a field day on this offense.

Clemson threw a few the other day that scared the crap out of me. I was just waiting for a lineman to be slow getting up. And I have only watched one GT game (vs Clemson) and it looked like they were still running a good bit of option plays, now just RPO’s not the triple. Bateman should have a field day on this offense.
They have to run some of the option stuff because all QBs on the team were recruited for the triple option. That's the main reason I wondered if Cade Fortin would go to GT. The job is wide open for a QB who has a background in passing the ball.

The Game after Clemson teams seem to play bad, a few examples already this year.. Do they get too hyped for Clemson and then have a drop off? Charlotte 49ers had a home coming against a mediocre team and was beat almost as bad as at Clemson.. I fear this game every year, But mostly because of Paul Johnson, now we shall see without him..

Feel free to correct me on if I used too wrong, Germans Cannot understand 3/4 versions of the same word, lol...

We will not overlook Tech. We are beginning to learn the winning attitude, something I don't think we've had in a long time.
After back to back awful seasons and coming off 3 consecutive losses, we better not overlook GT.

That is the reason this game could be pivotal. We're still in the hunt to win the Coastal, but if we were to lose at GT, the season could come apart.

ADVERTISEMENT