ADVERTISEMENT

What do we do with these extra scholarships?

King Coach

Sophomore
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2021
This is a crucial time for the Heels. Do we offer these scholarships to not so Carolina talent to get bodies and repeat recent history or do we go after grad transfers with one or two seasons( if they graduated early) left to play? Or do we go after junior college talent. Of course the best option is to go after and get top talent left in this senior class.....if there’s any talent left. The worst option maybe is to ride with what we got and hold the schollies.

I’d bet we hold one for 2022. We look very strong for a few kids already and they can finally visit this summer so we can really do what we do well which is OVs.

I think we take a 4 and a 5 from either the portal or decommits from 2021 class.

We definitely need a stretch 4 and a backup to Bacot but also a 3 that can shoot

Last time I checked, 4 players had already bailed on Pitt. If Champangie follows suit, we should grab him. He's 6'6, a good scorer and, as we have seen, a mobile and active player.

I'm picturing Leaky playing some (maybe a lot) at PF, while he and Champagnie split the minutes at SF.

Other ACC SFs I'd go after are Timberlake and Brakefield.

With Caleb returning, we don't have an immediate need for a PG, but there are several in the portal worth a look with multiple years of eligibility left. I doubt many would be willing to be our 3rd string PG, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I’d bet we hold one for 2022. We look very strong for a few kids already and they can finally visit this summer so we can really do what we do well which is OVs.

I think we take a 4 and a 5 from either the portal or decommits from 2021 class.
I vote for Garcia and Aidoo and hold one. I think Garcia could be a rental, but Aidoo can be a building block for next few years.

I don't care what Roy does with them, as long as it involves people that can shoot outside. The Leaky Black athletic that impress with their athleticism aren't worth a darn if they cannot score. Look at Buddy Buckets up at Syracuse. He is not a very good athlete, but sure is a game changer. If they can't drain the 3, let somebody else have them.

If Bacot comes back do we have 4 available spots ?
We had 12 scholarship players this year (not counting one given to a walk-on).

Assuming Brooks and Platek graduate and leave, that's 10.

Sharpe going pro leaves 9.

Kessler and Manley transferring leaves 7 scholarship players.

Assuming no more players go pro or transfer . . . old math tells me we have 6 scholarships to give.

Garcia was ready to go right out of the gate in whatever system Wojo ran. Would he be as good a fit playing in Roy's system?

Garcia took 73 3-point shots.

Our 4 bigs took a total of 15 3-pointers.

If I'm Garcia, I may not see UNC as a viable option. I want to develop my game for a year and then go pro. I don't want to be forced to play Roy's system for 2 or 3 years while I watch my draft status drop.

Just telling it like I see it.

There will be talented guys who weren't ready as freshmen who want to transfer. Roy is really good with players who actually need to develop. Garcia isn't in that group.

We should spend at least 4 of our available scholarships on transfers or decommits. And only on transfers who have multiple years left.

We had 12 scholarship players this year (not counting one given to a walk-on).

Assuming Brooks and Platek graduate and leave, that's 10.

Sharpe going pro leaves 9.

Kessler and Manley transferring leaves 7 scholarship players.

Assuming no more players go pro or transfer . . . old math tells me we have 6 scholarships to give.
Styles and Dunn take 2.

Bacot is exactly the type of player who should return for 1 more year. He very good - arguably the best player on the team this year - but he has things to work on. He's already shown he fits and develops in Roy's system. And that's during a year that clearly inhibited development in lots of players. So it's reasonable to expect even more development as a junior. After which he should go pro (if he wants to).

Reactions: blazers
lots of good 3 ball shooters ... go after a stretch 4 guy who can knock em down ...especially if bacot comes back & go after a backup center/pf

Reactions: gd15nc
Garcia was ready to go right out of the gate in whatever system Wojo ran. Would he be as good a fit playing in Roy's system?

Garcia took 73 3-point shots.

Our 4 bigs took a total of 15 3-pointers.

If I'm Garcia, I may not see UNC as a viable option. I want to develop my game for a year and then go pro. I don't want to be forced to play Roy's system for 2 or 3 years while I watch my draft status drop.

Just telling it like I see it.

There will be talented guys who weren't ready as freshmen who want to transfer. Roy is really good with players who actually need to develop. Garcia isn't in that group.
Garcia is ready made to play the" Luke Maye role" lol. How delicious would it be to bring in Garcia and watch him excell at the exact role that Walker Kessler in transferring out to find.😳😏
I want that to happen in the worseway lol

That whole thing just doesn't add up for me. Kessler leaves to find the EXACT role we now are trying to fill. Maybe Roy told him more back to the basket work ahead? Or maybe he made up his mind before realizing how it would all unfold. Either way, seems like an odd decision from a kid (and family) that everyone raved about being so great.

Yeah, Kessler would have been the go to big next year. Oh well, let's see how things work out for him.

Duke's Goldwire enters portal.

Kid has really developed. I wonder if he has coaching interests and wants to see how another coach runs things.

If Bacot comes back I think we look for a stretch 4 and get a 3 that will put Black on the bench.

I had really hoped Leaky would have developed in to a Theo type player .. great length and handles with the pass first mentality but the team was never around him to allow him to develop there .. same with Brooks .. got stuck filling in holes and never got a chance to find and develop his natural position. Sign of the times I guess. jmo

I had really hoped Leaky would have developed in to a Theo type player .. great length and handles with the pass first mentality but the team was never around him to allow him to develop there .. same with Brooks .. got stuck filling in holes and never got a chance to find and develop his natural position. Sign of the times I guess. jmo
I don’t see a lack of opportunity as the issue for either of these guys. They honestly made us play 3 against 5 on offense too much of the time. I’m not as low on Leaky as most here, to me he should take open jumpers in the flow of the offense instead of awkwardly passing them up and let the chips fall where they may.

Why do you assume surrounding talent limited them? Brooks wasn't even a top 100 recruit, Leaky was outside the top 50. Theo was a 5 star.

Watching them, Theo looks much more athletic than Leaky to me. Leaky is long, but he's not explosive at all and doesn't have a ton of strength. Theo's a better passer, but he also had much more passing opportunity because he could beat his man off the dribble. We could run pick n pops with Theo as the ball handler in the late game, which we wouldn't intentionally do with Leaky.

Brooks is undersized for an ACC big, not explosive, and doesn't have much of a shot ( which is why he was ranked outside the top 100).

Looking at both, I don't see a lack of coaching/development. I see a lack of athleticism to dominate in college, and the fact neither can shoot compounding it. True, shooting is a skills some guys can develop, but I don't think that skill's development will be influenced much by teammates. Just how often you get to use it.

Reactions: Heelicious
My hope is that Coach don’t use them to bring in body’s that will haunt us for four years. If we can’t get talent from the transfer portal.....ecspecially a stretch 4 and a backup 5 and maybe a shooting 3.....then just go with what you got and play small ball.....please no more wasting scholarships.

My hope is that Coach don’t use them to bring in body’s that will haunt us for four years. If we can’t get talent from the transfer portal.....ecspecially a stretch 4 and a backup 5 and maybe a shooting 3.....then just go with what you got and play small ball.....please no more wasting scholarships.
I hear what you're saying but has that ever actually been a problem? Seems like we always have a scholarship or 2 to give to our walk-ons.

Has there ever been a good player who wanted to come here who we had to turn away because we didn't have a scholarship?

At the time, some here said we should save the scholarship that Brooks got. Nothing against Brooks, but we had Manley, Huffman and walk-on Miller to supplement Luke and Cam. So the argument was that we should save that scholarship for a high-ranked big man in the next class - rather than spend it on yet another player who is ranked lower than usual for UNC. But we had a scholarship left over in that next class and still didn't get a top-ranked big. And I don't think it was because anyone was scared off by the bigs we did have.

If we can get quality, multiyear transfers that fit our system, I'll be fine using most or all of our scholarships.

What I don't want to do is get any more 1-year players who spend all year trying to learn Roy's system. But there are so many players in the portal, we should be able to get the right kinds of players to fit our needs.

Reactions: Heelicious
I don't know, but maybe you have something there! Having that last scholly to offer once all others have used theirs, like having a last timeout in the final seconds, might mean we get a guy we would have missed! Hmmmmm!

Just a few players I wouldn’t mind offering based on who’s in the portal now:

Noah Locke-Florida
Earl Timberlake-Miami
Nate Ruevers- Wisconsin
Timmy Allen-Utah
Tari Eason-Cincinnati
Rayce Thompson-IU
Jayden Gardner- East Carolina
Qudus Wahab-Georgetown

A few more I wouldn’t mind to gander at!

Savion Flagg-Texas AM
Greg Gant-Providence
Tre Mitchell-UMASS
Jordan Gernanimo- IU
John Harrar-Penn State

Just a few players I wouldn’t mind offering based on who’s in the portal now:

Noah Locke-Florida
Earl Timberlake-Miami
Nate Ruevers- Wisconsin
Timmy Allen-Utah
Tari Eason-Cincinnati
Rayce Thompson-IU
Jayden Gardner- East Carolina
Qudus Wahab-Georgetown
No no no no no no maybe no

A couple of new centers and PFs are showing up in the portal this morning. Including Patrick Tape (Duke) and Nate Reuvers (Wisconsin).

Reuvers (6'11, 235) might be worth a glance, but unless Roy thinks he would fit our system quickly and well, I don't see anything to get excited about. He shot well enough from deep as a soph and junior that he might offer some stretch capability. That shooting dropped off as a senior, though.

Tape shot and rebounded well at Columbia, but hardly sniffed the floor at Duke.

Last edited:
Arizona State's Taeshon Cherry (6'8, 220) missed most of this season for "personal reasons." He should have 3 years left. Ranked 38 out of HS. Might be worth a look if those personal problems aren't anything to worry about. Looks like he played some each at SF and PF. Decent stats as a freshman, but then declined. Might not be worth the effort.

Looks like Ol’Roy’s already talking to a gator sharp shooter!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT