ADVERTISEMENT

What if Platek and Brooks decide to play another year

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Yes I know they are both seniors but with the new rule that winter sports players can opt for a additional year is there a possibility it could happen.

Other than Miller who is also a senior I cannot think of another scholarship that might be available. Maybe baby Jet or McAdoo who is on scholarship could be available.

I think both Sharpe and Bacot are gone which leaves only Kessler in the paint so having Brooks back with all of his experience would be a giant blessing.

It is a interesting subject to consider but unlike many fans here I do believe Coach Williams and his staff would welcome them BOTH back.

What do u think?

Not sure we'd lose a ton from Leaky/Puff playing the four, but it's be good to have Brooks back. Also not sure both Bacot/Sharpe go... Maybe.

Platek is currently our #6 guard after Walton/Love/Davis/Leaky/Harris. Hopefully our team is good enough next year that he wouldn't be a major factor in the rotation.

Both returning would be an excellent thing for the Heels! Leadership, knowledge of the system, defense, and toughness are givens. The incoming freshmen/transfers would have built in support and exemplars! Not to mention, they are both very effective players! And Platek is the first off the bench!

Reactions: jeans15
I was looking at sports reference and in conference play Platek is indeed weaker than RJ and Caleb per40. I can't see Platek seeing the court much with sophmores and/or new freshman incoming to compete with for playing time. Not sure what he would hope to accomplish coming back next year. Same with Brooke minus the playing time issue.

I'd be excited for one of them to come back; I'll sacrifice our spacing to see the other one get his degree and start that 9-5.
7beP17O.gif

Reactions: dadika13
Always worrisome when this early into the season we are discussing next year's team. I'm not saying it is not interesting conversation, but concerning nevertheless.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Always worrisome when this early into the season we are discussing next year's team. I'm not saying it is not interesting conversation, but concerning nevertheless.
Have you been watching the games? There's been plenty to be concerned about before this thread was started.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
No thanks.

The "Peter Principle" applies to both players.

Brooks was projected to be POY in ACC. At this juncture, he would be lucky to get honorable mention votes for third team ACC. A successful argument can be made that he performed better last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heelicious
Always an interesting dilemma. Up to now, outside of the seniors, it would have been reasonable and likely to think the majority of these young men would want and need to return next year based on performance. Now if Bacot continues to perform like this, he will likely leave. One or two good games by Love simply won't get it done (meaning enough to warrant his leaving), Kessler absolutely needs to return, and the rest all need to return (again, based on performance to this point). Hard to seriously believe anyone will suddenly "get it/turn it on" enough to warrant leaving.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Overseas no longer an option for Brooks? I remember some were beating that drum pretty loudly last season.

Overseas is certainly an option for GB and I think it is just as viable as returning to the Heels at this point! I would love to get Brooks and Platek back and would consider this a recruiting win! This is especially true if they do not count toward the scholly limit. If they do not take a spot away then there is no downside whatsoever for the team!

Their class with Manley is why we are in this situation , I appreciate the Efforts but Move on for the sake of Recruiting and playing time..

Reactions: tarheel0910
Plates coming back is really a non factor. Brooks could be interesting. Two years ago, most figured that he might have a nice career overseas. But his performance last year had to ignite some NBA dreams. Those dreams have taken a bit of a hit with his play this year. I could see him coming back to increase his chances at a little NBA money

Brooks could give you a 13 and 8 or maybe 13 and 10 next year. I think Brooks can still go late 2nd or very qiuckly being picked up. Brooks gains nothing by staying another year.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see NBA level athleticism in Garrison. And he doesn’t excel at any particular skill. He’s had a good college career and I hope he gets a chance to play for pay some day. Should he decide to return, I would welcome him.

I think it’s unlikely that Platek has a career in basketball as a player, but I could see him getting into coaching or management. If he wants another season of enjoying the college basketball environment at UNC, I can’t blame him. He’s livin’ the dream!

Last edited:
Plus, I don’t think they count against the scolly limit if they return.
This is what I found:

“In other words, if you have 13 basketball players on scholarship and three seniors stay for their extra year, you still get three additional scholarships for 2021-22. If a senior transfers to another school for that extra season, he or she counts against the allotted scholarship limit (which is 13 for men’s basketball).”

So if the seniors return, it costs us nothing. Win-win.

This is what I found:

“In other words, if you have 13 basketball players on scholarship and three seniors stay for their extra year, you still get three additional scholarships for 2021-22. If a senior transfers to another school for that extra season, he or she counts against the allotted scholarship limit (which is 13 for men’s basketball).”

So if the seniors return, it costs us nothing. Win-win.
Thanks for your research Archer2 and because of that I would not be surprised if both of them come back.

I would take both of them back in a heart beat with the understanding that their #1 goal is leadership and they have to be good with whatever PT they get. Both seem to love UNC. Yes they were the recruiting class that went backward but what a great legacy it would be if they came back and help righten the ship.

Plates coming back is really a non factor. Brooks could be interesting. Two years ago, most figured that he might have a nice career overseas. But his performance last year had to ignite some NBA dreams. Those dreams have taken a bit of a hit with his play this year. I could see him coming back to increase his chances at a little NBA money
Seriously. 6-8 PF's are NOT going to the NBA. Can you imagine him matching up against Lebron? LOL

Seriously. 6-8 PF's are NOT going to the NBA. Can you imagine him matching up against Lebron? LOL
Well said. His size is comparable to an NBA wing. He’s undersized for an NBA PF and doesn’t handle the ball or shoot well enough from distance to stretch the defense. He just doesn’t fit today’s NBA game but could make a good living player overseas.

I don't really think either will be back next season but if 1 of them did I think it would be more likely PLatek. I think Brooks is much more likely to take a chance on the NBA giving him a late second round tap or try to get on with a team via G-League, his $$$ route is euro-ball, most likely PLatek will try that route as well. *I think I recall Platek's dad is a coach and that seems the more likely pathway for AP to hang in basketball. I tend to like guards that may not have had the athletism themselves to be a star but had a really good feel for the game and understood how much the "little things" effect the win loss record. Dean Smith was not a great guard as a player but he was the definitive coach of the game the GOAT of the coaching ranks.

Reactions: CURRY2WOODYR80

I didn't say that I thought he would stick, I was just saying that with his play last year it had to ignite that dream in him. This year's play has no doubt thrown some water on that fire. So wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to come back and get back to his better play.

Sharpe is the only player on our team right now that would even sniff a roster spot on an NBA team!
Maybe Bacot, too. He's improved in a number of ways. Still needs to muscle up, but I can see an NBA team thinking he can muscle up while learning their system.

Caleb needs to "get it" but still has time.

Brooks isn't having a great year. He's probably gone from a late second round pick to not drafted. But I'd bet some team picks him up anyway, after the draft. And there's no doubt he'll play for pay right away if he's ready to leave.

I'd put the odds of leaving something like this. Just bald-faced guesses.

90% - Brooks
80% - Sharpe
50% - Bacot
20% - Love
10% - Kessler

Brooks goes because he's ready to take the next step in his career.

Sharpe goes because several teams will jump at the chance to get him in the first round.

I put Bacot at 50-50 because I don't see him going in the first round. But that could change.

I don't see Love leaving unless he is a first round pick. He could get there, but he isn't close at the moment.

I only added Kessler to the list because he's going to get drafted some year. And some NBA team with a deep roster is going to be happy to gamble on him in the 2nd round if he puts his name in. Wouldn't you? But he's a 1st round pick as a junior, so why hurry?

Am I correct in thinking that walk-ons also get an extended year of eligibility? Even though I don't expect a wholesale departure of our bigs, it might be nice to have Walker Miller back. The 2 Walkers could be the only true bigs we have.

Ditto if Caleb leaves. Having KJ for another year could be a nice safety net, even if some of our other returnees can handle the backup role. I notice that Kerwin is a decent passer, and we all know that Ant can leap tall building with a single bound. But if we are shy up front, Leaky may not be available to help out at point.

Platek is finally having a nice year. Unless he has a better offer or just wants to leave, I can easily see him staying.

At the risk of stereotyping, is Platek interested in coaching? If he feels he's learned enough from Roy, he might want to use his extra year of eligibility to learn from a different coach.

If you were in his shoes and wanted a year to learn from a different coach, which coaches would you be looking at?

Platek is finally having a nice year. Unless he has a better offer or just wants to leave, I can easily see him staying.

At the risk of stereotyping, is Platek interested in coaching? If he feels he's learned enough from Roy, he might want to use his extra year of eligibility to learn from a different coach.

If you were in his shoes and wanted a year to learn from a different coach, which coaches would you be looking at?
Well, I would want to go to a different style of play just to widen my exposure and allow me to figure out what style I want to have my teams play when I am a coach. So I would consider playing for Tony Bennett, Jay Wright, Shaka Smart, Mark Few, Izzo, Pitino, Wes Miller, Kelvin Sampson, Bohiem, or King Rice (others as well but these may be the spots I would personally look at more intently). Frankly, coming from UNC, King could well be the guy I ended up with.

Am I correct in thinking that walk-ons also get an extended year of eligibility? Even though I don't expect a wholesale departure of our bigs, it might be nice to have Walker Miller back. The 2 Walkers could be the only true bigs we have.

Ditto if Caleb leaves. Having KJ for another year could be a nice safety net, even if some of our other returnees can handle the backup role. I notice that Kerwin is a decent passer, and we all know that Ant can leap tall building with a single bound. But if we are shy up front, Leaky may not be available to help out at point.
First of all, Platek has already stated he wants to go, despite the extra eligibility option.

Second of all, why would a walk-on stay another year? They are college students. Unless they plan on being in college for 5 years, there is no reason for it. The vast majority of students are 4 year students.

First of all, Platek has already stated he wants to go, despite the extra eligibility option.

Second of all, why would a walk-on stay another year? They are college students. Unless they plan on being in college for 5 years, there is no reason for it. The vast majority of students are 4 year students.

Second point first, most walk on guys are more college students than athletes (from perspective of future employment possibility). Why would a walk on not want to come back and work on a post grad degree and have more availability for other types of schollys than regular college students may be able to command?

With Demarco Dunn on the way, it gets really extra crowded at the 2 spot.

Love of the game? Another year of what might be the best few years of their life? A whole new class of Carolina hotties?

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT