ADVERTISEMENT

What one gift did the UNC D need

Even with that, their five projected linemen consists of a GS, a SR, two JR’s, and a SO. All were 4*’s coming out of HS. They’re still talented and experienced.

The RG is Josh Lugg, who has started 5 games last season at Tackle after an injury & is basically the backup to every OL position. Kid would start on almost every team in the country and was a top 100 kid coming out of HS. Not worried about him at all.
The Center, Zeke Correll, is making his first start but was also a top 100 kid coming out of HS. But even though he is a talent and has a huge future, it’s still a step down from a two year starter ND lost. So this one is a little concerning, especially since ND will want to control the LOS.

The RG is Josh Lugg, who has started 5 games last season at Tackle after an injury & is basically the backup to every OL position. Kid would start on almost every team in the country and was a top 100 kid coming out of HS. Not worried about him at all.
The Center, Zeke Correll, is making his first start but was also a top 100 kid coming out of HS. But even though he is a talent and has a huge future, it’s still a step down from a two year starter ND lost. So this one is a little concerning, especially since ND will want to control the LOS.
You could plug in 2 kids from South Bend HS and be just fine against our DL, lol! Enjoy it now though, because when the Irish come back to Chapel Hill in 2022, it will be a much different defense than what you will see this Friday.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
You could plug in 2 kids from South Bend HS and be just fine against our DL, lol! Enjoy it now though, because when the Irish come back to Chapel Hill in 2022, it will be a much different defense than what you will see this Friday.
Allegedly. We have heard that for a few years now 😕

Allegedly. We have heard that for a few years now 😕

Curious what you're referring to? Can't remember the last time we had 6 dudes in the top 300, 4 of them being in the top 150 coming in on D. Oh, in addition to Evans, Grimes, Murphy, Bingley Jones and Pinder. So you're looking at 13 4/5 star Freshman on the defense next year.

Last edited:
I’ll never worry about ND OL recruiting.
In 2022 the following will be ND’s OL (their academic year, not counting Redshirts):
Zeke Correll (top 100) Sr
Quinn Carroll (top 100) Sr
Andrew Kristofic (top 150) Sr
Tosh Baker (top 100) Jr
Michael Carmody (top 150) Jr
Blake Fisher (5 Star) So
Rocco Spindler (top 50) So
Caleb Johnson (4 Star) So
Joe Alt (4 Star) So
Joey Tanona (top 150) Fr
There is a reason ND had three OL on the NFL 1st Team All Pro last year (first time ever from one school). Nelson, Stanley, Martin.

In 2022 the following will be ND’s OL (their academic year, not counting Redshirts):
Tosh Baker (top 100) Jr
Blake Fisher (5 Star) So
Joe Alt (4 Star) So
Joey Tanona (top 150) Fr
There is a reason ND had three OL on the NFL 1st Team All Pro last year (first time ever from one school). Nelson, Stanley, Martin.
Now you’re braggin’.

Tosh Baker (top 100) Jr
Blake Fisher (5 Star) So
Joe Alt (4 Star) So
Joey Tanona (top 150) Fr
yes, ND has been doing very well with OL recruitment and development. It is a major strength of the program.

Curious what you're referring to? Can't remember the last time we had 6 dudes in the top 300, 4 of them being in the top 150 coming in on D. Oh, in addition to Evans, Grimes, Murphy, Bingley Jones and Pinder. So you're looking at 13 4/5 star Freshman on the defense next year.
I am aware of the incoming talent. I will believe our defense will be good... once it's good. It's been too long since we had a competent defense.

Reactions: strummingram
I am aware of the incoming talent. I will believe our defense will be good... once it's good. It's been too long since we had a competent defense.

Just making sure because you said "we've heard that for a few years now". And I'm pretty sure we never sniffed this kind of D talent under Fedora.

According to the Notre Dame guy who analyses film on TOS, the Secondary is the major area of UNC defensive incompetence:

"While sophomore SS- Cam'Ron Kelly (No. 9) and sophomore FS-Don Chapman (No. 2) rank third and fourth on the team in tackles, do not be fooled by those stats. These two guys have been turnstiles on the back end of the defense.

They’re storm chasers. They chase and chase and seldom catch up.

Analyst Todd McShay said Kelly does the dirty work on the back end of the Tar Heel defense. Translation: He doesn’t make plays. Chapman has been seen on film numerous times simply not playing hard. It’s as if he’s so accustomed to giving up big plays that he just dials it back.

The entire North Carolina secondary spent the afternoon against Wake Forest looking at one another, confused as to what coverage they should have been in. The Tar Heels won the game, 59-53, but trailed by 21 points because their defense had no answers for Wake Forest QB-Sam Hartman and the Demon Deacon attack. They gave up 606 yards total offense and won.

CBs Patrice Rene (No. 5) will play physically and make plays. But they miss injured CB-Storm Duck. NB-Trey Morrison (No. 4) has been beaten badly at times, flagged for interference penalties and will take shallow angles to the football. CB-Ladaeson “Day Day” Hollins tends to be among the more confused defensive backs when things break down.

There’s a reason why North Carolina is 92nd in the country in passing defense despite averaging more than three sacks per game. They don’t make plays on the back end of the defense."

Losing Wolf after week 1 and Duck after week 2 were killers. Kelly looks lost out there -- would like to see Conley/Sinclair back there. Hollins doesn't need to see the field again anytime soon -- Grimes came in and did a good job the 2nd half against Wake. Solid pash rush can hide a lot of deficiencies in the back end and they just don't have the horses yet.

No, I’m just saying that is the one position I don’t worry about with recruiting for ND. (And TE). At ND the hard part is getting elite skill players & elite DL.
No doubt, you always have some big hogs in the trenches. And that’s where the game is won and lost. That’s what worries me about Friday afternoon, we just don’t have the line depth you do. Our skill players are deluxe, we’re in the process of building the requisite line depth right now.

No doubt, you always have some big hogs in the trenches. And that’s where the game is won and lost. That’s what worries me about Friday afternoon, we just don’t have the line depth you do. Our skill players are deluxe, we’re in the process of building the requisite line depth right now.
ND actually has three 5 Star skill players, but they are all true freshmen. You will see Mayer (TE) and Tyree (backup RB), but not Johnson (WR) because he is struggling in the classroom. ND finally started getting some top 50 skill players the last & current class, but they are all Freshmen or Seniors in HS so won’t impact thus season.

ND actually has three 5 Star skill players, but they are all true freshmen. You will see Mayer (TE) and Tyree (backup RB), but not Johnson (WR) because he is struggling in the classroom. ND finally started getting some top 50 skill players the last & current class, but they are all Freshmen or Seniors in HS so won’t impact thus season.
Notre Dame brings in top 10 classes on a regular basis. That’s very difficult for us, but our staff is a good one and they’re workin hard to play catch up with the usual top 20 programs. Can’t wait for the game to see where we stand.

Notre Dame brings in top 10 classes on a regular basis. That’s very difficult for us, but our staff is a good one and they’re workin hard to play catch up with the usual top 20 programs. Can’t wait for the game to see where we stand.
ND’s class ranking the past 7 years has been between 12-17. They have developed really well though. SI does a class “reranking” after the kids graduate (so actually how they performed) and ND’s last three were 5th, 5th & tied for 5th. So I’m hoping the higher ranked classes do even better?
Mack Brown always recruits well. While at Texas he loaded up on 5 Star talent.

ADVERTISEMENT