ADVERTISEMENT

What should the team work on before the 7:00 pm game on Monday UNLV

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Hard to make real suggestions after just one game but on his post game Coach Williams said both the offense and defense needs improvement so I am just going to suggest a couple things on both sides of the ball.

On offense the three point shooting was pretty poor 4 for 18 but that was expected because of first game jitters. Also Brooks did not get many touches in the paint which must improve...

On defense both freshman starting guards got toasted because they did not move their feet which lead to some easy hoops especially Davis.
Secondly Charleston had no business rebounding evenly with UNC at half. I expect after getting their butts chewed out at the break was the reason the rebounding stats really changed in the second half. Rebounding needs to be done the entire game.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Hard to make real suggestions after just one game but on his post game Coach Williams said both the offense and defense needs improvement so I am just going to suggest a couple things on both sides of the ball.

On offense the three point shooting was pretty poor 4 for 18 but that was expected because of first game jitters. Also Brooks did not get many touches in the paint which must improve...

On defense both freshman starting guards got toasted because they did not move their feet which lead to some easy hoops especially Davis.
Secondly Charleston had no business rebounding evenly with UNC at half. I expect after getting their butts chewed out at the break was the reason the rebounding stats really changed in the second half. Rebounding needs to be done the entire game.
Coach Williams needs to practice plays to get Leaky Black more evolved in the offense. He has to get more aggressive on offense for UNC to be successful.

defensive rotation/help defense

I would say 3 point shooting but I've given up on that so get the transition going. We got 4 bigs - push it fast and often.

You’ve given up on 3 point shooting after one game?

More like after 10 years. Last guy I can think of who I expected the ball to go in every time he shot was Wayne Ellington. Tons of guys since who would get on rolls for a few games but none that every time they were set I was confident it was gonna be a 3. Maybe a lot has to do with age dulling my memory.

Passes out of the post. Those shots will start falling. Love needs to work on getting in the lane. Defense defense defense.

Guards learning how to repost is essential for this team.

Not just Jack up a 3 because its a kick out.

And free throws.

JJ was money from 3 as well!

The youngsters will adjust quickly and will be surprised at how open the looks will be if they stick to the inside-out system. We have the Bigs to command attention so they should start to see some clean looks going forward. I expect to see a pretty good showing from 3 this year!

Offensively, really do need to hit a few outside shots to loosen up the inside, teams will pack the paint on us to try to deal with our front court guys. Don't rush the jump shot, I see to much of a hurry on jump shots, relax and take your stroke. The ball needs to touch the paint each time down for us good things will happen when our big men touch the ball! Now off covid protocals I think Puff is a guy that can come in and take some of those cleaner looks that come from a defense knowing they have to pack things in to control our big men, I like RJ to do the same. Big men need to watch their spacing, getting to close allows 1 guy to guard 2, how about a little high low with kessler up top and Brooks cutting? Put Puff at the 3 and raise him above the foul line and over load the top, does defender follow him or can we get 3 on 2 up top with someone getting a wide open look?

Defensively, back court guys, stay in front of your man, get a hand in the face on those jump shots, be very selective of the chances you take. Really, little need to help so deep from our back court guys, we have the length and physical strength inside that you do not need to risk helping so deep and allowing kick outs to open spot up shooters. Get the defensive board and push it out hard, teams are not going to want to crash their offensive boards but realize, those missed treys tend to bound long so our guards need to go get the ball, guards block out. May want to switch a few more of those high screens until Bacot, Sharpe, and Kessler get a bit more experience but I think we can switch most of that off and be fine due to really good length at the 3 and 3s that are comfortable as back court guards.

Line up I want to see at times, Brooks, Sharpe, Kessler (at the 3), Puff (at the 2) and Love! That is a really long line up, allows kessler to jump shoot over much shorter 3s, Puff has a nice length advantage at the 2 to shoot over defenders, and Love has near 7ft reach at the point!

More like after 10 years. Last guy I can think of who I expected the ball to go in every time he shot was Wayne Ellington. Tons of guys since who would get on rolls for a few games but none that every time they were set I was confident it was gonna be a 3. Maybe a lot has to do with age dulling my memory.

PJ Hairston, Marcus Paige, Justin Jackson, and Cam Johnson all say hi.

Offensively, really do need to hit a few outside shots to loosen up the inside, teams will pack the paint on us to try to deal with our front court guys. Don't rush the jump shot, I see to much of a hurry on jump shots, relax and take your stroke. The ball needs to touch the paint each time down for us good things will happen when our big men touch the ball! Now off covid protocals I think Puff is a guy that can come in and take some of those cleaner looks that come from a defense knowing they have to pack things in to control our big men, I like RJ to do the same. Big men need to watch their spacing, getting to close allows 1 guy to guard 2, how about a little high low with kessler up top and Brooks cutting? Put Puff at the 3 and raise him above the foul line and over load the top, does defender follow him or can we get 3 on 2 up top with someone getting a wide open look?

Defensively, back court guys, stay in front of your man, get a hand in the face on those jump shots, be very selective of the chances you take. Really, little need to help so deep from our back court guys, we have the length and physical strength inside that you do not need to risk helping so deep and allowing kick outs to open spot up shooters. Get the defensive board and push it out hard, teams are not going to want to crash their offensive boards but realize, those missed treys tend to bound long so our guards need to go get the ball, guards block out. May want to switch a few more of those high screens until Bacot, Sharpe, and Kessler get a bit more experience but I think we can switch most of that off and be fine due to really good length at the 3 and 3s that are comfortable as back court guards.

Line up I want to see at times, Brooks, Sharpe, Kessler (at the 3), Puff (at the 2) and Love! That is a really long line up, allows kessler to jump shoot over much shorter 3s, Puff has a nice length advantage at the 2 to shoot over defenders, and Love has near 7ft reach at the point!

Puff at the 2??

I would like to see Kessler more. He came in and dominated. He cant be the odd man out. Just play huge if we must. I would LOVE to see Leaky, Puff, Kessler, Brooks, and Sharpe on the court and the same time. How does an opposing team defend that?

UNLV can shoot the ball and I expect them to get open looks since we... nuff said there. What I would love to see is us getting more of the 50/50 balls and the long rebounds. A lot of that is a crapshoot, cuz the ball can go anywhere off the rim or someones knee but it just seems like we never get our share.

I would like to see Kessler more. He came in and dominated. He cant be the odd man out. Just play huge if we must. I would LOVE to see Leaky, Puff, Kessler, Brooks, and Sharpe on the court and the same time. How does an opposing team defend that?

UNLV can shoot the ball and I expect them to get open looks since we... nuff said there. What I would love to see is us getting more of the 50/50 balls and the long rebounds. A lot of that is a crapshoot, cuz the ball can go anywhere off the rim or someones knee but it just seems like we never get our share.

Kess and Puff were under COVID protocol thus the limited minutes. They’ll both get plenty of minutes.

Reactions: RoseHeel
Until Puff gets his legs under him and figures out how much effort D takes, he will see spot minutes. The other 9-10 peeps will continue to see significant minutes.

Glad to see Kessler get a good run. He is fun to watch. Having Sharpe and Kessler coming off the bench is a great option for a coach. Power and strength vs long and polished. I take either for sure.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT