ADVERTISEMENT

What song are you listening to now.....

chickenhunter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2002
Thought I start a thread to get some music discussion going. Reply with songs or groups you just found out about. Maybe we can give each other some new (to some posters) music to listen.

I'm posting a song by a group my nephew told me about.

Turnpike Troubadours:

Been listening to a few oldies ever since True Detective went off air . .

I'm currently listening to Ambrosia's Holding On To Yesterday, its certainly nothing new, but, it is some fantastic music . .

Because I'm an old guy, there are songs from long ago yesterday that the younger generation have never heard . . . iffin you didn't live way back when, its likely you haven't heard some of the best stuff around.

The Brown Eyed Women from this Phil & Friends show, starting at around 56:00 is one of the best I've ever heard. John Mayer's solo at around 58:45 is straight fire

I managed to score a sweet 1961 Gibson SG/Les Paul Junior last week and it is ideal for slide guitar. The only down side to this piece is Berry Oakley comes in too early before Duane's slide solo and kinda throws it off for a few seconds till they find the rhythm again.

Sitting in dental office waiting room listening to their unknown musac.......

"Choctaw Bingo", both the Ray Wylie Hubbard and James McMurtry versions.

I managed to score a sweet 1961 Gibson SG/Les Paul Junior last week and it is ideal for slide guitar. The only down side to this piece is Berry Oakley comes in too early before Duane's slide solo and kinda throws it off for a few seconds till they find the rhythm again.

Very cool. I've been wanting to get a vintage 335 but it will take awhile to save up the cash unfortunately

For our anniversary one of the things I got my wife was a coupon for any concert. She picks it and I'll get tickets for us. She choose this band called The Neighbourhood that is playing in Nashville in September. So I downloaded their album and it is actually quite good. I also kind of like this Cage the Elephant band she has gotten me into as well.

For our anniversary one of the things I got my wife was a coupon for any concert. She picks it and I'll get tickets for us. She choose this band called The Neighbourhood that is playing in Nashville in September. So I downloaded their album and it is actually quite good. I also kind of like this Cage the Elephant band she has gotten me into as well.

Both good bands Cory. Also really like Awlonation's new song "I am"

I forgot to post videos so I'll pick out one from each band.

Cage the Elephant

The Neighbourhood

Reactions: HookUNC75
Thought I start a thread to get some music discussion going. Reply with songs or groups you just found out about. Maybe we can give each other some new (to some posters) music to listen.

I'm posting a song by a group my nephew told me about.

Turnpike Troubadours:

Been telling everyone who will listen about this band for a couple years now. Excellent stuff. New album coming out in September. I wish they'd come back anywhere near me....they almost exclusively tour throughout the small towns of Texas and Oklahoma.

Reactions: chickenhunter
Whitehorse (husband and wife duo of Luke Doucet and Melissa McClelland) - You Get Older (Live)

(Sorry, fast forward to the 1:18 mark. Rivals doesn't allow that feature in links)

Last edited:
Because I'm an old guy, there are songs from long ago yesterday that the younger generation have never heard . . . iffin you didn't live way back when, its likely you haven't heard some of the best stuff around.
If you mean the 1700s, then I agree.

By the way, Grandpa, all the songs I linked were released within the last two years so :p

Last edited:
I've still only listened to Melophobia. I'll have to check out their other albums (but I already know I'm not a fan of "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked.")
From their first album, you will like:
"Lotus"
"Judas"
"Back Against the Wall"
"Tiny Little Robots"
and possibly "In One Ear" (but probably not).

If you don't like those songs then wellllll I don't know what to tell you. Their first album is very rock and blues influenced with a southern twang.

They've progressively gotten more indie and since then. Their second album Thank You Happy Birthday was indie meets punk, kinda like the Pixies....which is fine, I like the Pixies. But that style doesn't suit CtE in my opinion. And then Melophobia is just sorta bland in my opinion. All their stuff since their first album has sounded forced and bland. They've even admitted they have struggled to write songs since their first album.

One of my favorites bands ever. There guys blew up so damn quick. Im gonna post 2 video's.
First is a house party they did in 92 in front of maybe 200 people. The next is a concert they did barely a year later on front of 50k+ people. Dont care much for their political leanings but I love the music.

This cat is from Garner. I just heard about him a few months ago. Great video and lyrics are fantastic too. He is all over Dr. Dre's new album coming out later this week.

This is one of my favorite songs ever!! Video is very cheesy but song kicks ass!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT