ADVERTISEMENT

What was your first tattoo?

Mom's initials, birth and death year. You looking to get one or just curious about everyone's body?

Curious about others. I'm planning on getting my first soon. But enjoy the story.
Word of advice, be prepared to get more than one. They are addicting to get. I'm up to four now and I'm planning to get at least two more. Also, make sure that it's something that means a lot to you. If it's just something that looks cool or just something you randomly picked, then you are probably going to regret it later in life. If it means something to you, then you probably won't regret it.

Word of advice, be prepared to get more than one. They are addicting to get. I'm up to four now and I'm planning to get at least two more. Also, make sure that it's something that means a lot to you. If it's just something that looks cool or just something you randomly picked, then you are probably going to regret it later in life. If it means something to you, then you probably won't regret it.
I have none and won't get any, but your advice is spot on....

#trampstamp
#necktat

Reactions: tarheel0910
Mom's initials, birth and death year. You looking to get one or just curious about everyone's body?

stkSUxz.gif

Same thought as @Heelicious : don't have one, and probably never will. But agree to make sure it means something to you.

And always make sure the artist uses spell check. :eek:

First one was a guitar player leaning up against a wall. Got it with my brother, in Richmond.

Then, I got a UNC Strutting Ram. I got it in Charlotte at Ace Tattoo. I wanna get it "enhanced" to look more like my avatar.
15823721_252710185149437_5727503098285004660_n.jpg

This was taken years ago.

I'd like it to look more like this:
21314754_360797867674001_9023667034950181639_n.jpg

(without the lazy right eye)

Recommendations for the process in getting one? Should I email artists around? How should a noob go about this?

Thanks!

Oh... I can't help you there. Philly has incredible tattoo artists, I'm sure. Maybe try social media to seek out the ones who are the most highly recommended. You want the best you can get.
Awesome... Few people I know have several tattoos so leaning on them. I'm pretty excited for it. Gonna be a really simple first, but definitely looking forward to it.

Reactions: strummingram
Really basic. Something the size from the base of my ring finger to the first knuckle.
You could probably find someone to do something like that by word of mouth if you know people who have tattoos. Evey tattoo artist should have a portfolio that they will let you look at too, so you can see some of their work.

I'd say a large portion of tattoos are to get attention and have no meaning behind them. 100% of anything from the neck up are for attention.

I largely agree with this. People used to get them because it was a way to declare some type of identity. It sent the message that you were "edgy". But literally everyone gets them now. There is no edginess to it at all. In fact, so many people have them, you're unique if you don't get one.

I have a buddy who has probably 10-12 tats. But he's definitely not doing it for attention from other people. He has like 4-5 on his thighs. But he put them upside-down because he says when he sits down, they're right-side-up to him and afterall, he got them for him to look at and not for other people. I think it's hilarious.

I'd say a large portion of tattoos are to get attention and have no meaning behind them. 100% of anything from the neck up are for attention.
I can't speak for others, but all of mine have meaning behind them. No barb wire or tramp stamps on me.

ETA: None are from the neck up.

Reactions: uncfootball-
I largely agree with this. People used to get them because it was a way to declare some type of identity. It sent the message that you were "edgy". But literally everyone gets them now. There is no edginess to it at all. In fact, so many people have them, you're unique if you don't get one.

I have a buddy who has probably 10-12 tats. But he's definitely not doing it for attention from other people. He has like 4-5 on his thighs. But he put them upside-down because he says when he sits down, they're right-side-up to him and afterall, he got them for him to look at and not for other people. I think it's hilarious.
I had mine done on my back. Noone can see it unless I have my shirt off. People using their body as a billboard can become ridiculous if not done in a crafty way. There is very little I can think of to do that to my body.

I had mine done on my back. Noone can see it unless I have my shirt off. People using their body as a billboard can become ridiculous if not done in a crafty way. There is very little I can think of to do that to my body.
I want to be able to see my own tattoos easily. Having them on my back seems like a lot of effort and pain, and I can only see it if I have two sizeable mirrors around.

I want to be able to see my own tattoos easily. Having them on my back seems like a lot of effort and pain, and I can only see it if I have two sizeable mirrors around.
I see that POV. For whatever reason, that is the location I felt best. I didn't want to constantly be reminded of her.

• Haha
I see that POV. For whatever reason, that is the location I felt best. I didn't want to constantly be reminded of her.
It's yours, get it anywhere you want. A buddy of mine was featured in a tattoo magazine about 12 years ago. He's got a drag race scene on his entire back, both sleeves, legs, everywhere. It's like a human cyclorama.

It's yours, get it anywhere you want. A buddy of mine was featured in a tattoo magazine about 12 years ago. He's got a drag race scene on his entire back, both sleeves, legs, everywhere. It's like a human cyclorama.
There are some artist who rock. 3d tats are cool. I just wonder how they will look at 70 years old

There are some artist who rock. 3d tats are cool. I just wonder how they will look at 70 years old
They'll hold up better than my grandfather's. He was in the Navy in WWII. He had 4 splotches the size of playing cards on his arms by the 1970s. He had to explain what they were originally.

They'll hold up better than my grandfather's. He was in the Navy in WWII. He had 4 splotches the size of playing cards on his arms by the 1970s. He had to explain what they were originally.
Reminds me of Jeff Foxworth describing the hummingbirds on his grandma's ankles. Said they thought they were buzzards

• Haha
Reactions: Heelicious
Tattoos are something I find really interesting. I pretty much grew up in an era/area when everyone who had them had either served in the military or they were a member of a motorcycle group. No one else got them. Several years ago, my wife got three. They look like someone took a bic pen and dabbed a dot on her. They served as the triangulation points for the radiation she received for her breast cancer treatment and she got better. So, I became a big fan of tattoos.

With the explosion in popularity, the artistry is something I find incredible. It'll never be for me, but if someone wants one, or five, I'm good with it and would think that the biggest criteria would be to really study the person's portfolio. You want someone with a lot of experience. I had a client once who would go to bike week in Daytona every year and he would work as long as he could over like a ten day period in a hotel suite and make as much cash as he did for about the rest of the year. He was very well known and they'd line up down the hallway.

Reactions: bluetoe
I have little respect for those who use their bodies as a look-at-me billboard of sorts, but you'll never hear me saying so...it's their body, not mine. But if someone has a need to get a tattoo that's meaningful to them, I can fully appreciate that. That isn't me though, never have and never will have a tattoo. I also don't adorn myself with jewelry, hair product, cologne (except what's in my deodorant)...and I don't even wear a hat. Some days I don't wear pants, but that's only when I go to Wal-mart.

I'm like @pooponduke, I'm from a time when only the military guys and a few assorted other groups and individuals got tattoos, and then it was a mark of distinction. Now you have to distinguish yourself by being tattoo-less, and to me it's indicative of a sad and disturbing trend toward sameness. It's hard for me to understand why so many want to be nothing more than clones.

I do have to admit there are some interesting tats out there. There was this one that started as a vine on a woman's left ankle, and when it got up to her...well never mind, you probably saw the same thing.

you’re from fayetteville?
Lol. Nope. Lived in Charlotte, Raleigh and Cary when very little, got people from Newton west to Marion. Grew up mostly in Hagerstown, MD. We had numerous military related locations in the general area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT